Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Apr 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1584855)   #1
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gavin Smith

Gavin Smith.

Home race coming up.

Is he up to it??

Yes I know in effect he is Vauxhall's 3rd driver but with Giovanardi having to learn circuits have they made a big mistake in the battle for the Manafacturers Championship.

2nd year in works Vauxhall shouldn't he be challenging for race wins?
Old 16 Apr 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1585003)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
His performance has been good near the end of last year and this year at Brands. He's no front runner, but I don't think he's significantly poorer then any of Vauxhall's previous third runners, just that he's driving for VXR when they're not as competitive as opposed to O'Neill & Hines.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1588417)   #3
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'll be a great chance for Gavin at home, the tight and tecnical nature of Mondello will favour him over Giovanardi (he'll be learning and qualifying comes around pretty quick!). On the other hand though I wouldnt expect miricles, Neal and Turkington have over the last few years shown they have a real nack for mondello. So I think if Gavin manages a couple of podiums he should be proud. I'll give him a good cheer on anyway!
Old 19 Apr 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1588434)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gavin had a few races when he wasn't truly competitive last year, but they weren't always on circuits he knew, and by the end of the season he was strong. His pace relative to Muller's was no worse than O'Neill's when he was in the Egg:Sport car in 2003, and probably better than Hines' in 2004. Vauxhall should be more worried about the Driver's title - SEAT seem to have a performance advantage, and their swapping of drivers through the season might help VX snare extra points - they're the only team with 3 drivers as it stands.
Old 20 Apr 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1590290)   #5
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently no Irish driver has ever won a BTCC race.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 08:49 (Ref:1590582)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bet no Spanish, Finnish or Columbian drivers have either, but there are people who come to mind who could.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1590847)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Colin Turkington is Irish and has won more than one BTCC race.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1591008)   #8
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's Northern Irish isn't he?
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1591167)   #9
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Gavin had a few races when he wasn't truly competitive last year, but they weren't always on circuits he knew,.
Not True. Gavin did two years in Seat Cupras and so raced at every circuit before joining the BTCC. Seats didn't do Mondello, but Gavin had previously raced their and the didn't do Thruxton in 04, but had done in 03, so he'd been there as well.

And as for Turks - yes he is from the North, not the Republic
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1591168)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Yes, he's from County Down. That still makes him Irish though.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1591227)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My girlfriend's from County Down and she disagrees.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1591237)   #12
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Yes, he's from County Down. That still makes him Irish though.
No, it makes him British. As was Alan Morrison.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1591241)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless we're talking Rugby, when he would be Irish!

As for Gavin Smith - he's largely anonymous - you don't really notice he's there.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 21:51 (Ref:1591249)   #14
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

As for Gavin Smith - he's largely anonymous - you don't really notice he's there.

Needs to return to the pink hair and distinctly iffy haircuts of 04 - then you can't help but notice him
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1591604)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdad
Needs to return to the pink hair and distinctly iffy haircuts of 04 - then you can't help but notice him
Doesn't help much once he's got a helmet on. A driver should be remembered for his results on track, not his barnet.

He surprised me with his pace at Brands, as he was largely average for most of last year. I'd be interested to see if it's the start of a genunie improvement in pace or simply a one-off.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1591619)   #16
racingdad
Veteran

Gavin was always quick in the Seat Cupras, but not consistent.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1591877)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was interesting to see he recently said that prior to last season he did no training at all, but he got caught out because of it.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1592074)   #18
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was going to mention that. That's no attitude for a driver of his calibre to have. You can ask a 9 year old who's just starting karting and they will tell you how important fitness is. You'd have thought he'd have made more of an effort especially if he's paying all that money for a VXR drive
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1593247)   #19
matt feeney
Rookie

matt feeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

Ever heard of a guy called Alec Poole?
Quote:
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1593251)   #20
matt feeney
Rookie

Paul O'Neill is a First Generation Irishman & I think you'll agree Colin Turkington comes from that other island.
Quote:
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1593254)   #21
matt feeney
Rookie

Irish is still Irish...........................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1593259)   #22
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt feeney
Paul O'Neill is a First Generation Irishman & I think you'll agree Colin Turkington comes from that other island.
Hi Matt, nice to see you joining in and not lurking!

Guys: Matt is probably about the best source for information on Irish racers, I know he's certainly the best man to ask which of them gets the beers in!!! And he most certainly had one of the best views of todays racing!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1593260)   #23
matt feeney
Rookie

Way over my head MangneON
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Hi Matt, nice to see you joining in and not lurking!

Guys: Matt is probably about the best source for information on Irish racers, I know he's certainly the best man to ask which of them gets the beers in!!! And he most certainly had one of the best views of todays racing!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1593264)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt feeney
Way over my head MangneON
Lol, nah, you were way over my head!!! About three floors of the tower above my head!
Old 24 Apr 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1593709)   #25
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, good man Matt!!
Smith was very disappointing imo, might be time to come home and get a real job..................
What does anyone else think??