Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Mar 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1873203)   #626
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Bob if a team is an GM approved team to run corvettes, yes that team can have a specail contract with Katech (IIRC) for current engine package as well.

The LS7r is a special engine, about $125,000 each. Used and rebuilt C5R engines are in the neiborhood of $85,000 each

Both companies do a lot of speicalty work for other customers.

-----
Customers are one thing, factory is another.
The best any privateer can get, is last years and that only if the factory has better newer this year.

I am sure Katech is like other top engine builder for anythng but base comp. crate engines the price is, POR.
If an engine has a base price, it is a base where the buyer does the development, if more is desired, otherwise, they do not give prices as time and parts are money, and if you want the bestest, you pay for more time and parts.
Ask the Chevy team.

I believe one of the earlier posts, in one of the threads, listed who is doing the engines for the Euro top team, and it was not Katech.
Surel Chevy and Katech want to ship off their top gearl so a Euro, or US engine builder can look it over and copy it.
That would be a first in the history of road racing.

When I used wander the paddocks, I heard things that were never printed, could not be, or you do not hear them, but it is amazing what lies beneath the rumor pool.

Let's see what was the name of that Corvette team Menards sponsored?
I mean they were so happy with how they were treated....
Old 21 Mar 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1873230)   #627
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton
Man, I'm pretty new but does this forum always have such a pessimistic attitude? .

No, it's just the ALMS is used to getting a free ride, so it comes as a shock when someone dares to state all's not well, if that wasn't already perfectly obvious.

If we were discussing Grand-Am, everyone would be piling into criticise it.

No more posts on this subject from me.

Last edited by JAG; 21 Mar 2007 at 18:56.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1873243)   #628
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
GT 2 may have a bright future, happy, happy, happpy, joy, joy, joy.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1873347)   #629
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My goodness - I step away from this forum for three days (buying a new dirtbike and figuring out all the work I need to do to it) and I come back to find every thread the same: squabbles about the ALMS and GT1. The horse is clearly dead, you can stop beating it now...
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1873387)   #630
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Let's see what was the name of that Corvette team Menards sponsored?
I mean they were so happy with how they were treated....
PCM somewhat foolishly believed they could come into the ALMS with no sportscar experience whatsoever, buy an old (I believe it was more than one year old, actually) C5-R, put it on Yokohama boots (despite the fact that they had no GT1 experience), and run with the brand-new factory C6.Rs. When they found out what was completely obvious to anyone else, which is that they did not have the pace of the factory cars, they expected P&M to somehow rectify that. Maybe they didn't get the help from P&M they wanted, but I'm not so sure they wanted something reasonable. They also wanted to put down a deposit on a used C6...that isn't how GM operates when selling used materials, and P&M wasn't making new customer C6.Rs at that point.

Strangely, their GARRA adventures with Riley Pontiacs (equal machinery) weren't exactly competitive. Hmm. Ironically, their only success came in the form of a win by a GTO made by...P&M.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1873427)   #631
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Teams that purchase new or even used race cars, should not automaticly expect support from that cars manufactuer or engine builder. Those come extra, for a heafty price.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 22:41 (Ref:1873465)   #632
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right, this thread is still off topic!!

Two requests from Adam and myself have been completely ignored. If you wish to discuss anything other than this year's 12 Hours of Sebring race, find the appropriate thread for what you want to say. Clear?

Any further deviations will result in the offending member(s) being banned from this thread. Thank you!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 00:44 (Ref:1873514)   #633
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it was a good race despite the lack of lmp1 and gt1 competition, but now we have acura in lmp2 that is very intresting. and the porsche ferrari battle is shaping up to be a great one!
Old 22 Mar 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1873719)   #634
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Does anyone know why Fernandez used the old B05/40 nose instead of the new B07/40 one?

http://www.racingfanatics.com/2007%2...e/JI9S4188.htm
Old 22 Mar 2007, 13:20 (Ref:1873754)   #635
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure they tested both, and decided the 05 was better. I was wondering if the enduro lights would work with the 07 nose.

Anyone know why Lowes did not go to the podium ceremony?
Old 22 Mar 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1873757)   #636
simontemplar09
Rookie

United States
United States
simontemplar09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually they used both noses during the race, after an incident with one of the Audis.

Old 22 Mar 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1873759)   #637
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
That makes perfect sense.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 02:56 (Ref:1874166)   #638
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I complain only because, starting from scratch Krohn was basically in the same car that won the race and lead the most laps. Mmmkay and he finish how many laps down?

Okay his skill level, amature to amature might be okay for most Porsche club events, but...

I knew a few people given the same opertunity would run circles around him.

In racing money talks, skill level doesn't unless you have a sponsor. That would be Colin Braun in this case.

Don't scream at being off-topic Bentley Im just replying cause some think I have lost my mind and are off-base.

So where are Jon Field's or Tracy Krohn's SCCA resumes???
Old 23 Mar 2007, 03:11 (Ref:1874168)   #639
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie

So where are Jon Field's or Tracy Krohn's SCCA resumes???
Just because he was off the pace at Sebring doesn't mean you should lump Jon Field in with Tracy Krohn. Jon's extremely quick, SCCA resume or not. The funding in that team largely comes from the man who made his ALMS debut in that car at Sebring.

I was watching Tracy's laptimes when he was in the car last weekend, since I am a habitual laptime watcher. He was not significantly different in pace from Seth Neiman of Flying Lizard or Tim Pappas of TransSport. Sure, the 2nd one is new as well (and thinking of a 2nd car for all pros according to his interview on the radio, so he knows he's slow) but you haven't heard people claiming Seth should step out of the car after this year's Sebring, or any other ALMS race.

Krohn's bringing a lot of money to sportscars. Codevloping a DP chassis with Lola and possibly funding Nic and Colin for the season at Risi. So he spun last weekend, and might the other 3 times you'll see him...ah well.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1874636)   #640
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Why does the Highcroft Acura have the blue lights above their air restrictor? The Zytek had the same thing last year.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1874639)   #641
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's an indicator to better identify the car at night.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1874714)   #642
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
Why does the Highcroft Acura have the blue lights above their air restrictor? The Zytek had the same thing last year.
Its dash and gauge lighting. It is much better on the drivers eyes than back-lit gauges. In the corvettes they use a red LED light set from behind the driver.

L.P.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1874728)   #643
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype

Each class has different coloured lights that are used for better identification during the night. The lights are placed on the side(3) and also facing the front .
The Spyder has them incased in their mirrors.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1874755)   #644
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Each class has different coloured lights that are used for better identification during the night. The lights are placed on the side(3) and also facing the front .
The Spyder has them incased in their mirrors.
Yes that is true and I did not notice if Highcroft had any in the mirrors. But it is an LED array( very focused) and during the in car at night the lights directly illuminated the dash/switch/gauge area of the car. Even in the pits so it was not just low light bleed-over, so I would assume that it is used for both functions.

L.P.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1874781)   #645
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But blue light carries more energy than red and tires out a driver's eyes much faster. Since these marker lights are not part of the ALMS 1-2-3 system they could be any colour the team wanted, so I'm not sure why a team would use blue lights for this application.

Even though they do look damn cool...
Old 23 Mar 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1874787)   #646
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
But blue light carries more energy than red and tires out a driver's eyes much faster. Since these marker lights are not part of the ALMS 1-2-3 system they could be any colour the team wanted, so I'm not sure why a team would use blue lights for this application.

You're right, it's about the worst colour they could use. I suppose if everyone uses the obvious (red) then they lose their car-recognition function.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1874813)   #647
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag

I wont get into light wave frequency's with you. But the refractive value of being in an enclosed cockpit vs. an open cockpit would change the saturation values I would think.?
Also;
Quote:
Subject: Acura lights?

The LED array over the intake inlet, Are those simply class I.D. lights or are they aimed for dash and gauge illumination also? In the onboard from Sebring it looked as if they functioned in such a manner.

Also; best looking P car in the field. Congrats on surviving the maiden trip at Sebring and hope to see the team move up the board!
Best of luck at St.Pete and beyond!!

L.P

Right on both accounts. Originally intended as class ID, added benefit of illumination.
We are pretty happy with the look of the car also.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Highcroft
L.P.