Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Jun 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3424093)   #1
maysty
Rookie

United Kingdom
Woodbridge, Suffolk
maysty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a Mercury?

I've been looking for any background info on a car my late Uncle owned and raced in 1969 - can anyone help with any info on this...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0349.jpg  
Old 20 Jun 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3424109)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, maysty.

I recognise that car but cannot recall it's name. May even have been mentioned in another thread. However, this should really have it's own thread in the History forum, and I'll probably move it there when I have time, after the weekend. Actually front looks a bit Nomadish, with a clumsy P4 rear end and a shed for a roof!
Old 20 Jun 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3424114)   #3
maysty
Rookie

United Kingdom
Woodbridge, Suffolk
I've been told it might be a Mercury GT based on a Lotus 23 but would like to know more if possible
Old 20 Jun 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3424142)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks very much like a Mercury - even down to JT's nicely described roof!
Old 20 Jun 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3424209)   #5
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maysty View Post
I've been looking for any background info on a car my late Uncle owned and raced in 1969 - can anyone help with any info on this...
Hello maysty, it does look remarkably like the Mercury GT raced by Alan Fowler 1967-69 (to my knowledge) - was he your uncle by any chance?

I have a b&w photo but from memory Fowler's car was dark green. I too have a feeling it was Lotus 23-based. In 1967/68 programmes the engine size was listed as 1558cc, so probably Lotus Twin-Cam, but by 1969 it was given as 1997cc.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3424264)   #6
maysty
Rookie

United Kingdom
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Hi John

Thanks for your comments. My Uncles name was Derek Mayston.

I've also come acros a photo of a green Mercury from 1968 which could well be the same Fowler owned one you refer to

http://newsite.frenchpix.com/racingt...-circuit-1968/
Old 21 Jun 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3424473)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Mercury GT sounds right; sure we have it mentioned elsewhere; will do a search.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 06:48 (Ref:3424474)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, a thread here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=Mercury

A couple of photos here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ury#post359662

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ury#post359664

A couple of associated threads here:-

I'll sort this after the weekend and maybe it's time to get to grips with all these special GTs for the chassis archive.

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Jun 2014 at 07:15.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3424873)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
50's/60's Club specials sounds to me the basis for an interesting book
Old 23 Jun 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3425215)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Or a website, Simon, I've been seriously considering setting one up if I could find the funds. Fascinating subject.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3426844)   #11
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mercury GT at Silverstone.

the picture came from a chap in Germany who has a Mercury the original source is unknown.
Old 28 Jun 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3427554)   #12
Mistron
Rookie

Mistron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,

If you do set up a website, feel free to use any of my photos on Flickr (Clodwell, pandora, Milmor etc etc.

I agree, a fascinating subject. I want to own them all!

Al
Old 28 Jun 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3427593)   #13
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistron View Post
John,

If you do set up a website, feel free to use any of my photos on Flickr (Clodwell, pandora, Milmor etc etc.

I agree, a fascinating subject. I want to own them all!

Al
Yep same here - I'd be happy to chuck a couple of quid in the pot.

OT - Alan, guess you will have seen the Ibec P1 is up for sale for what seems a sensible price? shame I have too many projects still needing doing (Wilson Gt, Iota P1, the FJ, rebuilding the Revis and of course the spine first!)

Richard
Old 29 Jun 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3427713)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, guys; I had done some initial work on this a few months ago but life and an extreme lack of funds got in the way and made me shelve it but it's something I may well revisit and it links in nicely with my involvement in FISCAR.

Back to topic, I note that Maysty's photo appears to show an externally fitted rollbar not fitted when you took your photo, rbm. I suppose it could belong to a following (but very close!!!) car creating that illusion through foreshortening but don't think so!
Old 29 Jun 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3427725)   #15
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Thanks, guys; I had done some initial work on this a few months ago but life and an extreme lack of funds got in the way and made me shelve it but it's something I may well revisit and it links in nicely with my involvement in FISCAR.

Back to topic, I note that Maysty's photo appears to show an externally fitted rollbar not fitted when you took your photo, rbm. I suppose it could belong to a following (but very close!!!) car creating that illusion through foreshortening but don't think so!
I took the roll-bar to be a following car, given the angle. The picture I have of the Mercury (taken in the paddock at Snetterton in 1969) is a rear view & there is no external roll bar fitted.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 09:50 (Ref:3427777)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John, you are right; a closer examination appears to show the top of a helmet! Must be damned close then!
Old 4 Jul 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3430347)   #17
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
found this http://www.oldracephotos.com/shop/pr...90_N_Lo23GT_74