Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3685035)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!
Autosport makes a pretty compelling case for Stroll being the right choice. Come on, chaps, he's a dominant European F3 champion. Stepping up to the midfield of F1 isn't such a stretch. Anyone remember where Kimi came from?
Old 3 Nov 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3685038)   #17
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Anyone remember where Kimi came from?
Kimi came from British Formula Renault UK 2000, after he was crowned Champion there.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3685039)   #18
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW, I consider Stroll management very similar to the one done to Nelsihno Piquet. I'm tempted to name him "Canadian Nelsinho".
Old 3 Nov 2016, 14:59 (Ref:3685040)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Quite fraknkly all the other ones they wanted are not available so they decided to take a gamble on Stroll and I think it's one worth taking IMHO
Old 3 Nov 2016, 15:16 (Ref:3685052)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
stroll's not a gamble, they've been invested in him for several years. they've watched him progress and decided that he's worth investing in to get the investment out. force india haven't put mazepin in yet and they've got similar levels of experience, if you catch my drift.

people seem to assume there's one type of rich driver who has one type of ability. they aren't all max chilton or will stevens.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3685059)   #21
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
stroll's not a gamble, they've been invested in him for several years. they've watched him progress and decided that he's worth investing in to get the investment out. force india haven't put mazepin in yet and they've got similar levels of experience, if you catch my drift.

people seem to assume there's one type of rich driver who has one type of ability. they aren't all max chilton or will stevens.
Stroll is without doubt very talented driver and has romped to this years Euro F3 title in dominating fashion......but lets talk about the elephant in the room shall we!.......his father is worth 2.4 Billion Dollars and owns the Michael Koors and Tommy Hilfiger fashion brands.........on that basis I'm sure the only investment was from his father to the Williams teams bank account......Stroll is paying for his drive without a shadow of a doubt, say 10 million per year from his father is like losing some change down the sofa, I can also imagine some fashion brands will start to appear on the Williams FW40 next year, as fashion sponsors rubbing shoulders with an iconic brand like Martini will be perceived as quite cool by his father I'm sure.

Best of luck to him, will be interesting to see how he gets on.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3685065)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
if there has to be pay drivers, then i guess i would rather see a driver's family pay the bills then a state run company using their own citizens money to fund a driver for example.

much bigger elephant for me was where Maldonado's money came from to be honest.

im going to wait and see what he does before i pass judgement on his right to be on the grid...might even be the boost Bottas needs to start his career moving forward again.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3685070)   #23
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont expect Stroll will find it too hard, he will probably have done more hours in the simulator than any one.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3685073)   #24
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
if there has to be pay drivers, then i guess i would rather see a driver's family pay the bills then a state run company using their own citizens money to fund a driver for example.

much bigger elephant for me was where Maldonado's money came from to be honest.

im going to wait and see what he does before i pass judgement on his right to be on the grid...might even be the boost Bottas needs to start his career moving forward again.
Nah, Maldonados money was from ocean drilled oil, when it was at $150 a barrel.....then the saudis dropped their price below $50 a barrel and the PDVSA oil did the same as scottish drilled oil......it became worthless overnight, its just not financially viable to drill oil with a ocean located oil rig at $50 a barrel......yes Lawrence stroll is a true petrol head, he owns a huge collection of Ferrari's and a Canadian race circuit.......not bad I must say.......also I will correct my prediction of 10 million dollars per year to about 30 million dollars......Lawrence Stroll is on par with Bernies type of wealth and has money to burn, he could probably afford to buy Williams outright and not break a bead of sweat.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 18:23 (Ref:3685093)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!BSchneiderFan has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Kimi came from British Formula Renault UK 2000, after he was crowned Champion there.
That was rather my point. He turned out all right.
Old 3 Nov 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3685099)   #26
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to be honest, i'm not a huge fan of young master Stroll, i am sure he will rack up the points for Williams next year, just as Max Chilton or Will Stevens would have if they had got a drive there. Money coming in for Williams can only be a good thing, he may well give Bottas the nudge he needs which is also a good thing, is Lance the next big thing or a new Max, absolutely not!
Old 3 Nov 2016, 22:20 (Ref:3685139)   #27
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't like F3 drivers jumping straight to F1. Anything less will seem a side move, rather than a step up.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3685267)   #28
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I dont expect Stroll will find it too hard, he will probably have done more hours in the simulator than any one.
Don't forget that Stroll snr is paying Williams millions to run Lance in a 3 year old F1 car at a large number of circuits this year to get F1 car experience, so in many ways he will be the best prepared driver in recent times.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 08:31 (Ref:3685269)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I don't like F3 drivers jumping straight to F1. Anything less will seem a side move, rather than a step up.
I think all the drivers should come from F3 and they should do away with the myriad of junk formulae between F3 and F1. At worst it should be F3, F2 (F5000 would be good here) and F1.

Better to go back to old style tube frame FF style cars with various engines, followed by F3 and then F1, done.

All the current mess does is make it impossible for cars and drivers to contend more than one championship, and impossible to compare talents.
Old 4 Nov 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3685306)   #30
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall a similar outcry against Max Verstappen but he appears to have made the grade.