Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2934672)   #451
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thought it was a quite entertaining race despite all the attrition. Too bad we didn't have more coverage but there was always something to look for in the top 20 in terms of battles and intensity.

Hate the 65 minute rule. Really screwed the strategy part but maybe the mileage, etc, is very different amongst all cars. Although the Nurburgring doesn't have such things and the race was quite competitive.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2934678)   #452
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Especially after winning the event last year. Would've been nice to see a Manthey Porsche with the Ring 24hr winning lineup take it to the leaders.
The quality of the drivers wouldn't have made any difference, the GT3 R has never been reliable in 24hr racing.

Hence Manthey's switch back the RSR at the nords this year.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2934730)   #453
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Hate the 65 minute rule. Really screwed the strategy part but maybe the mileage, etc, is very different amongst all cars. Although the Nurburgring doesn't have such things and the race was quite competitive.
They play around with tank sizes and fuel flow restrictors (for the refilling-rigs) for the 24, the effect is pretty much the same...
Old 2 Aug 2011, 04:56 (Ref:2934823)   #454
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Wait-I wasnt the only person thinking that? That grass is too green

Are there any video of the McLaren accident of Kirkaldy? There is an aftermath vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dR6TeDDebQ
Certainly left a lasting impression.
Attached Thumbnails
DH000055.jpeg   DH000057.jpeg   DH000058.jpeg  

Old 2 Aug 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2934825)   #455
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3-4 they've wrecked now is it? Atleast they've proven the safety of the 12C!
Old 2 Aug 2011, 05:13 (Ref:2934829)   #456
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
im kind of upset because we never got to see what they were capable of..They were screwed by their starting positions.the day only go worse from their...i think if they started at the front they would have had faaar less trouble
Old 2 Aug 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2934977)   #457
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
im kind of upset because we never got to see what they were capable of..They were screwed by their starting positions.the day only go worse from their...i think if they started at the front they would have had faaar less trouble
I have just had a quick look at the qualifying reports on DSC but can't see any comment about what happened to them. Given the driver line up in the CRS cars it was very disapointing to see them so far down, anybody know why?
Old 2 Aug 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2935003)   #458
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It rained off-and-on during qualifying (this is Spa after all). If you weren't on the right tires at just the right time, which was a real luck-of-the-draw proposition, you weren't going to start right up front.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2935020)   #459
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It rained off-and-on during qualifying (this is Spa after all). If you weren't on the right tires at just the right time, which was a real luck-of-the-draw proposition, you weren't going to start right up front.
i think Penske is to Porsche as Gulf is to Aston Martin. they attract.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2935022)   #460
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Shouldn't that be here? ----> http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...129049&page=24
Old 2 Aug 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2935062)   #461
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Also the car that had the accident had a 5 minute stop & go in the first three laps for changing the engine after qualifying.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2935145)   #462
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
^^very offtopic

what the devil? how did this get here.....this is the third time. really weird...im absolutely sure i replied to a a different person and that this post was in the Porsche 2014 thread.....glitch? that response doesnt even make sense in this thread sorry that it ended up here
Old 2 Aug 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2935189)   #463
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kirkaldy crash from the GCR Viper's point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSa5eSqSRMI

I think Kirkaldy misjudged the BMW & thought he passed it but unfortunately it resulted in a heavy crash!
Old 3 Aug 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2935252)   #464
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Good find - looking at that it was definitely a misjudgement by Kirkaldy
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2935466)   #465
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think that it was so one-sided. Kirkaldy could have given the BMW more room, that is true. On the other hand, the BMW did move to the right coming off the kerb. He needed to get off the kerb, of course, and it may not be the smoothest transition, but the car did continue moving to the right to the extent that there was 1/3 to 1/2 a car-width of pavement to the BMW's left by the time they made contact. Whether Kirkaldy is also moving to the left at that time is difficult to judge because there is not a fixed reference point like the boundary between road and kerb to use, just a moving BMW.

In conclusion, it would have been safest for Kirkaldy to leave more space to his left by moving over to the pitwall exiting La Source as he still had the pace to pass the BMW and would have been on line heading into Eau Rouge. On the other hand, the BMW driver should have been well aware of Kirkaldy's presence by the time they reached, let alone exited La Source, so I have to say he did a poor job maintaining his line.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2935477)   #466
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Perhaps it should be looked into to have a procedure to let the guys know if they're actually clear to pull back onto line. On two-lane highways, truckers would flash lights twice to signal there was an opening for someone following to be able to pass.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2935572)   #467
insanity_mc
Rookie

Belgium
near Zolder
insanity_mc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our pictures of the Spa 24H 2011 are online:

www.motorsports-online.net

Some Pics ...

Greetz
Old 3 Aug 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2935591)   #468
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Nice shots! I take it that that last one is some kind of time-lapse?
Old 3 Aug 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2935599)   #469
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Double Gauche, tripod, and a LONG shutter time, in the night...

Sadly, I was booked on a FAMILY holiday around Spa weekend. However, I managed to get there on Thursday, just in time for the heavens to OPEN... So very few cars came out to play in the monsoon. Never even SAW a McLaren. I did see my favourite though, Astons.

Old 4 Aug 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2935636)   #470
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few of those I managed to take over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
DH000054.jpeg   DH000006.jpeg   DH000064.jpeg  

DH000068.jpeg   DH000070.jpeg  
Old 4 Aug 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2935759)   #471
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I don't think that it was so one-sided. Kirkaldy could have given the BMW more room, that is true. On the other hand, the BMW did move to the right coming off the kerb. He needed to get off the kerb, of course, and it may not be the smoothest transition, but the car did continue moving to the right to the extent that there was 1/3 to 1/2 a car-width of pavement to the BMW's left by the time they made contact. Whether Kirkaldy is also moving to the left at that time is difficult to judge because there is not a fixed reference point like the boundary between road and kerb to use, just a moving BMW.

In conclusion, it would have been safest for Kirkaldy to leave more space to his left by moving over to the pitwall exiting La Source as he still had the pace to pass the BMW and would have been on line heading into Eau Rouge. On the other hand, the BMW driver should have been well aware of Kirkaldy's presence by the time they reached, let alone exited La Source, so I have to say he did a poor job maintaining his line.
100% agree
Old 4 Aug 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2935761)   #472
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
A few of those I managed to take over the weekend.
That last one is awesome - how did you trespass onto a prohibited area to take it?
Old 4 Aug 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2935893)   #473
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post

Well said! However, Kirkaldy is the professional driver in this incident and there's no point running so close to that BMW to even risk something like this happening. If I'd had to make the call, the blame is solely on the McLaren driver. Being alone on the track both cars would move towards right (to be on the right side at the start of the endurance pitwall) and I guess the BMW driver automatically backed off from the left side curbs thinking the Mc will head to the right and there's enough room there. Kirkaldy was unnecessarily close in a place where the cars are not driving straight.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2936972)   #474
racerspics
Rookie

racerspics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
here are some shots of the 24 hours.

direct into the album

Have fun
Ralf