Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Aug 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2745597)   #26
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissangtrfan View Post
True...Any rumors of a Nissan entry at Petit? Besides the Radical of course?
None whatsoever.

L.P.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2745600)   #27
nissangtrfan
Rookie

United States
30 Miles from Road Atlanta
nissangtrfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
None whatsoever.

L.P.
Too bad! As long as Carlos is at the helm I guess I need to change my username ...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2745604)   #28
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the Libra principle, Ian Dawson, said that Nissan N.A. was very happy with/supportive of the effort. So maybe if they do well up to and including Petit, and they seem to be on the right track so far, we will see more of the engines in P-2 next year.
And then maybe something from Nissan themselves in the near future.

L.P.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2745611)   #29
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
Are GT1 engines eligible in the back of a LMP1 next year?
Very simply... no, unless it's grandfathered in and class adjusted (which means it will have had to run already)

LMP1 2011
3400cc normally aspirated
2000cc turbocharged
3700cc turbo diesel
Old 17 Aug 2010, 00:43 (Ref:2745613)   #30
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Nissan is not going to race at petit with a FIA GT1 car built to last 2 hours. Why is ALMS attempting to lure them over? Btw, I would love a Nissan presence besides a Radical...
Nissan lasted more then two hours last year at Spa, they had problems but still finished.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:35 (Ref:2745641)   #31
parnellirules
Rookie

parnellirules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new gt team for ptlm

I am a newbie but feel pretty positive about this news. Mike Davis who races in World Challenge has purchased the Black Swan Ford GT and is planning or racing at PTLM. His son and Boris will be the drivers.

Last edited by parnellirules; 17 Aug 2010 at 03:43.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:52 (Ref:2745648)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I am also excited to see what Oak shows up with, as I have never seen a Pescarolo in person.
Yes! I don't care which one they show up with or that it's pink, I want to see a Pescarolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
How confident are we that the Signature Minus Aston will make the trip?
Think happy thoughts please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So does anybody think ESM will bring a third chassis just in case Scott Sharp bins one in
practice?
Oh snap! Maybe they should bring extra catch fence and tire bundles too.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 03:53 (Ref:2745649)   #33
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How about Oreca?
Old 17 Aug 2010, 04:07 (Ref:2745655)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome, parnellirules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnellirules View Post
I am a newbie but feel pretty positive about this news. Mike Davis who races in World Challenge has purchased the Black Swan Ford GT and is planning or racing at PTLM. His son and Boris will be the drivers.
I thought I remember hearing about the car being sold/for sale, but how long have the Davis' had the car?

Hope you ain't teasing!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 04:10 (Ref:2745658)   #35
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by parnellirules View Post
Welcome parnellirules. They bought the car a few months ago, before the Long Beach ALMS race if I remember correctly. Are you close to them or is it just a hunch? A welcome addition if it happens.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2745665)   #36
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
on Endurance-Series.com (French website) I read that Full Speed team is planing the ILMC and Road Atlanta, how IMSA will handle this strange case ?
It is running as the Atlas Saleen. There is a press release confirming their participation on the Atlas EFX website.
Knowledgeable others elsewhere have mentioned Larbre is considering the trip too.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 05:10 (Ref:2745697)   #37
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Nissan is not going to race at petit with a FIA GT1 car built to last 2 hours. Why is ALMS attempting to lure them over? Btw, I would love a Nissan presence besides a Radical...
Listening to Hindy again huh? Matech lead for 8 hours and had to retire the car due engine issues in the 12th hour, I believe.

Quote:
For our first experience, we were able to lead the GT1 category for eight hours before being hit by a LMP car. It dropped us back to third. Unfortunately the DNF which was indirectly due to that hit and the damage of the engine. It made the whole weekend turn a little bit sour, but overall, we’ve learned a lot.
There's no reason to assume any of the GT1 spec cars will not run for 12 hours without issue. Matech also did no simulated testing in preparation for Le Mans.

That assumption isn't based on anything but rhetoric from Hindy.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 05:20 (Ref:2745702)   #38
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Well the Libra principle, Ian Dawson, said that Nissan N.A. was very happy with/supportive of the effort. So maybe if they do well up to and including Petit, and they seem to be on the right track so far, we will see more of the engines in P-2 next year.
And then maybe something from Nissan themselves in the near future.

L.P.
This is something NISMO USA could handle very easily. The Nissan VK engine fits into the production and max 5.0L displacement rules package.

They could also go the HPD route and use the VG (Very Good) V6 engine and turbo-charge it, much like the old 300zx-tt's of years gone by

For Nissan this is affordable and links it back to production cars, especially Infiniti if they want to put that on the valve covers.

This would also behoove the ICONIC board to re-think its bespoke engine mantra for the 2012 Indy Car.

You if you add Nissan, you have at least four engine providers with more to come I feel.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2745708)   #39
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Listening to Hindy again huh? Matech lead for 8 hours and had to retire the car due engine issues in the 12th hour, I believe.

There's no reason to assume any of the GT1 spec cars will not run for 12 hours without issue. Matech also did no simulated testing in preparation for Le Mans.

That assumption isn't based on anything but rhetoric from Hindy.
Assigning way to much power to Mr. Hindhaugh! Many share the thought that an engine designed to run for 2 to 3 hours will have trouble in an endurance format running 10+ hours.

L.P.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:18 (Ref:2745722)   #40
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
This is something NISMO USA could handle very easily. The Nissan VK engine fits into the production and max 5.0L displacement rules package
I am confused. IES Racing has already built a 4.0 V8 Nissan VK45 derived engine for LMP2

See http://nismostuff.blogspot.com/2010/...io-report.html and http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122355
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:22 (Ref:2745723)   #41
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Assigning way to much power to Mr. Hindhaugh! Many share the thought that an engine designed to run for 2 to 3 hours will have trouble in an endurance format running 10+ hours.

L.P.
That might be true, however as I said Matech did no test leading up to Le Mans. Techs at Roush likely said if you reduced revs, timing and such it would last the entire race.

Why don't we ask somebody what happen to the engine? They didn't spill it all over the tracks causing caution period. With no oil on the ground, who knows what happen????
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:27 (Ref:2745724)   #42
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I am confused. IES Racing has already built a 4.0 V8 Nissan VK45 derived engine for LMP2

See http://nismostuff.blogspot.com/2010/...io-report.html and http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122355
Umm who is IES Racing?

Gotta like Google, so they built the old 675 engines that got quickly outclassed once the AER turbos showed up. The only thing they had over them was reliability. The bar has been raised in LMP across the board, can they handle the heat???

NIMSO USA is USA arm of NISMO JP in-house motorsport arm. I trust them much more than some engine shop out in the British Countryside.

One more thing, as we saw with LG and his Corvette GT2 project, you get no credit for having an idea first...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2745732)   #43
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Perhaps you should read the posts of knighty in http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122355. The IES engine is producing around 500 bhp and is within the budget cap. We will know next year if the package is competitive.

BTW according to google "IES designed the Nissan BTCC engine that was dominant in the class from 1997 to 2000, winning the manufacturers title in 1998 & 1999."
Old 17 Aug 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2745738)   #44
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
GT Class of its Own

# Team? / Porsche 911 GT3 R-Hybrid / Drivers? [/TABLE]
Drivers for the GT3-R hybrid have been confirmed some time ago to be Porsche's "dynamic duo" i.e. Timo & Romain.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:20 (Ref:2745926)   #45
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot understand why every thread on this forum always end up holding a big stick and hitting GT1 with it. So Hindy doesn't like it. I (and others) happen to disagree with him. Yes it is a shadow of its former self in ALMS/LMS competition but right now none of it (bar GT2) is in exceptional health. Can we just drop it now?! We get it. It isn't popular amongst hardline sportscar fans. But it's producing great racing right now in the World Championship.

How are the ALMS/ILMC dealing with the sudden addition of an LMP2 class? Am I wrong in thinking it's been one 'prototype' class all season in ALMS?
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2745929)   #46
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler View Post
How are the ALMS/ILMC dealing with the sudden addition of an LMP2 class? Am I wrong in thinking it's been one 'prototype' class all season in ALMS?
All season except Sebring.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2745933)   #47
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sebring and PLM stateside have been planned to run split LMP class since the start of 2010.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2745936)   #48
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Drivers for the GT3-R hybrid have been confirmed some time ago to be Porsche's "dynamic duo" i.e. Timo & Romain.
Thanks, VRO!

I understand a factory effort needs a good showing in the race and for R&D, but it seems like a waste of talent to have THE "Duo" in a car that is guaranteed to be first and last in class, IMHO. These two ought to be in the Cytosport with Klaus for PLM.

Sure Porsche has "given up" on their prototype efforts, but come on...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2745974)   #49
parnellirules
Rookie

parnellirules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New GT entry

Thanks guys, I hang out at Willow Springs when I can and have seen the car in testing. The mechanics say they are going to build a second car and try to run two. I think team owner Mike Davis has had enough of the SCCA World Challenge Rules and wants to move his prodigy son to a Series where he can be noticed. I am sure Huffaker will be doing the engines as he has to date.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2745989)   #50
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
I cannot understand why every thread on this forum always end up holding a big stick and hitting GT1 with it. So Hindy doesn't like it. I (and others) happen to disagree with him. Yes it is a shadow of its former self in ALMS/LMS competition but right now none of it (bar GT2) is in exceptional health. Can we just drop it now?! We get it. It isn't popular amongst hardline sportscar fans. But it's producing great racing right now in the World Championship.

Not every thread. But where the class is foisted upon us it becomes debateable. "Yes it is a shadow of its former self", yet, it is supposed to be 'The GT-1 World Championship' and be represenitive of THE BEST, which it is not!

The ALMS will deal with P-2 exactly as they did at Sebring. As to being wrong, I would say that is an affirmative. There has been a minimum of 2 classes of prototype all year long in the ALMS.

L.P.