Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jun 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3094458)   #2276
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I have a year's free HD and they'd made a mistake and charged me for it.
Just wondered as Sky do a,

3 Months Free HD Pack: Available to existing customers upgrading to HD Pack (free for first three months, £10.25 pm extra thereafter). 12 month minimum term applies. Offer ends 18/7/12,

according to their website.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3094915)   #2277
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I have a year's free HD and they'd made a mistake and charged me for it.
So they've given you your money back and alls good in the world again
Old 19 Jun 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3094993)   #2278
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Pitpass are looking for views on the BBC Vs sky debate.

http://www.pitpass.com/46565-Talking...eve-Its-Better
Well its good to see Sky is going down a storm with that particular percentile of fans lol.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3095026)   #2279
knowyourenemy
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
knowyourenemy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Just wondered as Sky do a,

3 Months Free HD Pack: Available to existing customers upgrading to HD Pack (free for first three months, £10.25 pm extra thereafter). 12 month minimum term applies. Offer ends 18/7/12,

according to their website.
i dont recall being offered that - been paying the extra £10.25 since i got the HD pack in March
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3095167)   #2280
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Sky are fond of saying, not all offers are available to all customers all of the time
Old 20 Jun 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3095314)   #2281
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
As Sky are fond of saying, not all offers are available to all customers all of the time
Hmmm, how fair! What great customer service that isn't, a good lesson on how not to keep (let alone gain) cistomer loyalty!
(I'm glad I just can't afford Sky!)
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3095339)   #2282
knowyourenemy
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
knowyourenemy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Hmmm, how fair! What great customer service that isn't, a good lesson on how not to keep (let alone gain) cistomer loyalty!
they've got F1 fans exactly where they want them, though i am surprised they havent made us all subscribe to Sky Sports to get the F1 channel.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3095408)   #2283
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm glad I don't use Sky.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3095419)   #2284
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The fact that you slag off the customer service of a company that you don't use yourself... is that fair?

There is almost always offers to new customers, what those offers are differs from time to time. Like wise there is almost always offers available to existing customers, again differing from time to time.

Hell Sky GO which has been mentioned on this thread many times for watching the F1 coverage is a service that's been made available to existing customers ... It's not some offer, for existing and any new customers It's actually Free !
Old 20 Jun 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3095469)   #2285
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's actually Free !
Yes it is, and it comes in very handy for when you also happen to be fishing for large Carp at your local lake (recent illness prevents me from travelling much further afield). Waiting for those bite alarms to go off, often left me with nothing else to do but twiddle my thumbs. Saturday or Sunday afternoons are rather more exciting now, and for more than just one reason (I hope).

So, it's ta very much, Sky, from a very satisfied customer.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3095492)   #2286
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The fact that you slag off the customer service of a company that you don't use yourself... is that fair?...
My comment was purely based on your post (which was why I copied it into my post):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
That doesn't sound to me as an example of good customer service etc. and based on that, I'm glad that I don't have it (as I can't justify the cost, or spare the time to watch the coverage and additional fluff).
Old 20 Jun 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3095543)   #2287
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowyourenemy View Post
they've got F1 fans exactly where they want them, though i am surprised they havent made us all subscribe to Sky Sports to get the F1 channel.
If you're a cable household, that's exactly what they do. Sky's terms of supply for the F1 channel to Virgin customers mean that we have to have all the sports channels aswell.

Not that this is an entirely bad thing, mind you, but it does mean me and the other half have a lot of differences of opinion over who has the remote
Old 20 Jun 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3095558)   #2288
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Reading some of the price increase complaints here I must say its not unfamiliar. My father had a similar increase which he noticed after a few months to which he tackled them over it. He asked to be disconnected from his broadband and Sky packages immediately and within minutes he had the money back and a load of free channels and a reduced subscription for 6 months. I think they try it on hoping you don't notice but they are not the only company to do this of course.

It does make me wonder how long the F1 Channel will remain separate from the rest of the sports package though. I wonder if this is a first season offering which will change after this season? If they are willing to secretly push the price up at any point they wish, is it completely out of the realms of possibility that they may push the channel up to the premium subscription? Time will tell. Other than what I feel is inferior coverage, I can't complain about Sky's customer service as I am able to watch the races for free if I wish to, so I am in effect getting a free service courtesy of my father. If anything I am cheating Sky and the people who have no choice but to pay for it, but hey, life isn't always fair lol.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3095588)   #2289
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I think they try it on hoping you don't notice but they are not the only company to do this of course.
I had a bit of a theory about this too. It's just a thought but some of the owners of Sky aren't known for their having scruples.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3095636)   #2290
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
All these types of companies that offer complex packages like to sneakily strip you for a few extra quid. If you're on the ball though and catch them at it they usually become very apologetic and will give you little concessions if you forgo the trouble.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3095893)   #2291
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Reading some of the price increase complaints here I must say its not unfamiliar. My father had a similar increase which he noticed after a few months to which he tackled them over it. He asked to be disconnected from his broadband and Sky packages immediately and within minutes he had the money back and a load of free channels and a reduced subscription for 6 months. I think they try it on hoping you don't notice but they are not the only company to do this of course.
it's the way mobile phone companies work as well. in any service you pay for that you have a contract and pay a monthly fee for, always speak to the disconnections or "if you're thinking of leaving" line. they have the authority to offer you far better and often personalised deals compared to the standard packages offered by the normal upgrade or account change people. i'm not surprised to hear that sky are the same.

it's business, not just consumer muggery - you often don't get the price breaks until you ask. always ask. and ask the right people
Quote:
That doesn't sound to me as an example of good customer service etc. and based on that, I'm glad that I don't have it (as I can't justify the cost, or spare the time to watch the coverage and additional fluff).
really? if you're a high spending customer and you didn't get additional perks over those offered to a basic package minimum line rental customer for example you'd not get a bit stroppy?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3095913)   #2292
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pitpass article does raise an interesting point that (unless I've missed it) Sky have kept quiet with regards to viewing figures. Maybe they'll do so at the end of the season, but you'd think that if they were getting the subscriber (and by association revenue) base they'd anticipated they'd have said something by now. I can't though see them connecting the F1 and main sports channels in the immediate future, as Setanta showed when they acquired NASN what happens when you force people to subscribe to channels they have no intention of watching (they never said how many subscribers they lost but it I gather it was well into four figures)

As far as pricing goes, the trick with Sky is never be afraid to use the 'thinking of cancelling your subscription' line. My brother has had Sky in one form or another for several years and I don't think he's ever yet paid the published price for whatever package he's had!
Old 23 Jun 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3096738)   #2293
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Relevant to this thread I guess...Jonathan Legard is back commentating for 5 Live this weekend (and also did for the Canadian GP I think). It's a timely reminder that whether we have Ben Edwards or David Croft, at least they aren't as bad as Legard!

I really don't understand how he has got anywhere with his awful, confrontational style of commentary. He shouts questions at Alguersuari, who sounds taken aback by it all, and Gary Anderson. He's dismissive of everyone. Take FP3 this morning. Alonso was on the radio complaining about photographers. Legard's reaction was to say that "it doesn't matter whether you drive for Renault or Ferrari, they are going to be there". What's that meant to mean? Then suggested Alonso may just have been upset that Massa was a few tenths faster than him at the time. He says so many things that leave you wondering why he bothered saying it.

What on earth are the BBC thinking bringing him back?
Old 23 Jun 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3096914)   #2294
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funnily enough I heard him today and thought the same things regarding style, but also how funny it was. I'm surprised he came back. Surely its a tad humiliating?
Old 23 Jun 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3096964)   #2295
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The BBC should hire Cartlon Kirby to join Leggard. Put in James Allen in there too. Have the three of them on at once bellowing, clucking and chuckling at each other. Y'know for the kicks. Might as well take things to the max.

The BBC have finally reformed the TV end of things now its time Radio 5 snapped up Steve Slater and David Addisson and put an end to the BBC commentary nightmare once and for all. Hire McNish there as an expert, should his schedule permit.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 00:07 (Ref:3096981)   #2296
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Heard Legard barking away on 'Five live'. His rantings about Webber going out in Q1, were particularly cringeworthy.

Poor old Jaimie.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 08:28 (Ref:3097032)   #2297
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The BBC should hire Cartlon Kirby ..

I agree
Old 24 Jun 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3097058)   #2298
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Great end to the GP2 race, glad i have Sky otherwise i wouldn't have seen it !
Old 24 Jun 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3097079)   #2299
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I'm surprised he came back. Surely its a tad humiliating?
That's what I thought too. I think it's a bit of an own goal from the BBC as well because for those with the option of watching on BBC or Sky, as soon as they hear his voice they will switch over to Sky!

Added to that, he acts as a reporter at Premier League matches for the BBC's Final Score programme.

He's just as irritating on that, incidentally.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3097245)   #2300
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Coulthard was on top form today and shared my opinions on the Maldonado incident. Great coverage as ever really and nice to share discussions on my travels with Sky subscribers who chose the Beeb today too.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky