Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Jul 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1034719)   #1
Spangley Purple
Rookie

Spangley Purple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Queens Marshalls at Lydden Sunday 11th July

Hi Queen Witch

Could you thank your marshalls at Sunday's meeting. They were a great support and great fun waving and chearing on the drivers, excellent fun.

Big hug and kisses for all (except the start line marshall and the C.O.T.C for not wearing the correct clothing).

I don't know about other drivers but there seemed to some confusion on the start line. They were not telling us to look at the lights. I felt like a spare part when they went out and I was not ready.

Maybe I should have stopped painting my nails on the start line.

S.P.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 07:56 (Ref:1035000)   #2
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Queens Marshalls at Lydden Sunday 11th July

Quote:
Originally posted by Spangley Purple
Hi Queen Witch

Could you thank your marshalls at Sunday's meeting. They were a great support and great fun waving and chearing on the drivers, excellent fun.

Big hug and kisses for all (except the start line marshall and the C.O.T.C for not wearing the correct clothing).

I don't know about other drivers but there seemed to some confusion on the start line. They were not telling us to look at the lights. I felt like a spare part when they went out and I was not ready.

Maybe I should have stopped painting my nails on the start line.

S.P.
If this is "tongue in cheek" then all well and good - I like a laugh like most people. However, I would just make a few points.

You say "The person (except the start line marshall and the C.O.T.C for not wearing the correct clothing)." I must take issue with you - the marshal in white was my honoured guest - he is an American working in Britain and asked if he could have the opportunity of helping out at some of our circuits. When he heard of our meeting, he jumped at the opportunity to see rallycross live in action for the first time ever. He is an experienced marshal and in my honest opinion was a great contribution to the meeting. I was pleased to hear of several techniques they use in the States which we could implement over here. He drove down from York on Friday night in order to help at the sprint/race on Saturday and the rallycross on Sunday, paying for two nights bed, breakfast and evening meals. In my personal opinion this was dedication to the sport of a very high order. He wears white because this is their normal marshals colour in America, but also brought with him an orange vest which he wore. As rallycross does not use a white flag this did not seem to pose an conflict with flag signals. In view of these facts I wonder if you would now consider retracting your comment.

In respect of the starting procedure, we were advised that for reasons of safety there should no longer be a marshal at the front of the grid. In the few instances when it was apparent an extensive delay would ensue, steps were taken to place a marshal in front of the grid in order that drivers were aware when the starting procedure was about to recommence. If this procedure was not advised to drivers it is suggested that the matter is taken up with the appropriate officials.

Finally, I would say that this was a thoroughly enjoyable meeting and I personally much enjoyed the company of my new-found American friend to whom I have sent a note of thanks.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1035013)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Re: Re: Queens Marshalls at Lydden Sunday 11th July

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnomex
In respect of the starting procedure, we were advised that for reasons of safety there should no longer be a marshal at the front of the grid.
Probably a good idea - it was hard not to be concerned for Hog's health when he was legging it away from in front of a full grid of supercars raring to go!

I thought the weekends meetings as a whole went very well, everything seemed to run smoothly, even when there were delays (after tyrewall bashing) things were quickly put back in order. Well done to all concerned
Old 13 Jul 2004, 09:00 (Ref:1035062)   #4
Spangley Purple
Rookie

Spangley Purple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When lining up on Sunday I had a different person each time. They got me in line then went off to line up the next one. But I had no one come back and point to lights at any time, so you think there might be a problem behind you.

Fair play to the man in white, I hope he enjoyed his day. The joke was for someone else, sorry.

SP
Old 13 Jul 2004, 09:12 (Ref:1035073)   #5
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Spangley Purple
When lining up on Sunday I had a different person each time. They got me in line then went off to line up the next one. But I had no one come back and point to lights at any time, so you think there might be a problem behind you.
Would you like to draw this to the attention of the powers that be? This is a downside to the new procedure. However, we were using Lydden's own startlight system on Sunday rather than the BRDA one. The latter has 5 red lights which come on at one second intervals. Once all 5 lights are on, they then go off after between (I think) one and five seconds, the time being determined at random by the computer software. This system has the advantage of the drivers being aware that they are now going into the start procedure and can prepare accordingly.

Hope this helps.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1035425)   #6
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Queen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridQueen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will try in the future to wair the correct clothes. It has given me a good laugh when I put 2 & 2 together and figured out who you where.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1035446)   #7
Queen
Veteran

England
North Lincolnshire
Queen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridQueen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now I have put my glasses on I can see and spell. WEAR.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1035596)   #8
RoyG
Racer

RoyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with Spangly P. about the new start procedure - it really isn't that brilliant!

It was bad enough holding on the clutch for so long in a Stock Hatch car - it'll be a lot worse in a Supercar!

I don't quite understand the sudden concern - surely the starter isn't going to start the light sequence until the marshall's well out of the way!

If a marshall right in front of the grid pointing to the lights is considered too dangerous, why not put him on the side of the track instead? It's really useful for the drivers to know that the start is coming up in seconds, rather than possibly minutes!

Comments please.

RoyG

P.S. Thoroughly enjoyed the day, despite two well-dented doors!)
Old 13 Jul 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1035681)   #9
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

Just to comment. The proceedure on the BRDA lights works well. As a driver you have a sequence on lights coming on that takes 5 seconds. You can judge the building of revs and holding on the clutch there. Once the last red is on you have the gap of between 1 and 4 seconds as set by the electronic wizardry. After some teething problems at the start of the year the drivers have seemed to settle in to the process.

However, at Lydden we had the Lydden lights which are excellent jump beams (and very durable as we found out!!), but they do not do the gentle build up. I wonder whether it would be better to use a 5 sec board as in circuit racing to advise the drivers that the grid is set and ready to start.

Views?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1035685)   #10
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
PS Spangley P

From what I saw it didn't matter whether you were ready for the start, you were last by the first corner anyway!!!!

OK Maybe not, but I couldn't let you off without some rude comment could I?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1035741)   #11
RoyG
Racer

RoyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UDB -

A 5 sec board sounds great!

Roy
Old 13 Jul 2004, 19:36 (Ref:1035749)   #12
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
got to admit with the start procedure i ended up looking in my rear view mirror for the marshall to signal behind the off , what about if they done it like speedway the marshall points to the lights then walks through the line up to the back of the grid then signals the start marshall straight away to start the start sequence then at least you got 15 sec to get it in gear ?? and he/she is well out of the way
not that i am moaning as i had a good weekend . just a thought !!!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1035818)   #13
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Upside Down Bug

However, at Lydden we had the Lydden lights which are excellent jump beams (and very durable as we found out!!), but they do not do the gentle build up. I wonder whether it would be better to use a 5 sec board as in circuit racing to advise the drivers that the grid is set and ready to start.

Views?
What a good (and simple) idea UDB. The board would need to be shown at Post 1 (by the control tower) on the command of the Chief Startline Marshal. Although the circuit posses a "5 seconds" board it is too small as the rallycross grid is set further back. A larger board should do it.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1047516)   #14
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear someone was concerned for my well-being.

It's unfounded though - there is nothing that makes you sprint like a grid full of 800bhp Supercars waiting to launch.

Even somebody of my build......
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1047640)   #15
Gnomex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Hog
Glad to hear someone was concerned for my well-being.

It's unfounded though - there is nothing that makes you sprint like a grid full of 800bhp Supercars waiting to launch.

Even somebody of my build......
You did say "sprint" and not squ** didn't you?

Great to hear from you Hog!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1047752)   #16
Hog
Racer

Definitely sprint. The others come after a dodgy boiled burger.

I'm still here in spirit Gnomex - hopefully it won't be too long before I make a return to the bank. Things are manic at the moment - when it all settles own I'll pop down for a SEMSEC day out.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1049070)   #17
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Hi Hog, good to hear you're still about. Look forward to see you down for a SEMSEC soon.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 08:51 (Ref:1049558)   #18
Hog
Racer

I'm looking forwad to it too. Wasn't till I'd missed a few meetings that I realised how much I was pining to be back in orange. Can't say that I'm going to be too bothered about coming back to rallycross, as the job I was famous for is now no longer.......not only that but the numbers and action still seem to be lacking.

Once everything settles down with the missus' new business venture I'll have time to come and do some flag waving.

You never know - I might have even lost some weight by then!

Will keep you posted as to my oval racing antics - if all comes to fruition I'll have a bit of a race budget for next year which will hopefully see me doing a bit more in the bangers.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1049614)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hog
.......not only that but the numbers and action still seem to be lacking.
The numbers haven't recovered yet but there's still plenty of action Hog (and the stock hatchers still have a very liberal interpretation of 'non contact'!)