Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jan 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3007158)   #1376
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Just saw this Tweet from Sky Sports F1: "If you have the Sports Pack and/OR the HD Pack you will receive the F1 channel at no extra cost. Still not known if on Virgin or BT."

Suits me, I thought it was going to be £10 pm extra.
That's really quite old news, but welcome news, nonetheless.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3007266)   #1377
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spotted an interesting document on another forum that I thought I would share:

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads...%20%281%29.pdf
Old 4 Jan 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3007280)   #1378
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That's really quite old news, but welcome news, nonetheless.
I do hope that sky don't make their channel to Sky users only. I'm on BT Vision, have the sky sports pack so I guess we can only wait and see. Obviously sky would get more viewers as a lot of Virgin/BT users have the sports package, however the likeliness is that they will want to keep it exclusive.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3007448)   #1379
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I spotted an interesting document on another forum that I thought I would share:

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/_downloads...%20%281%29.pdf
I notice from their estimated viewer ratings that sky expect a big drop in viewers. This seems strange as someone paying for their service will surely use it unless the quality of their service is way less than that of the BBC.

I know some will watch sky in the pub etc. but they expect their viewers to more than double for the non shared GPs.

Note that sky can be accesed from outside the UK as well so they may be including viewers from other countries.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 00:08 (Ref:3007461)   #1380
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
I do hope that sky don't make their channel to Sky users only. I'm on BT Vision, have the sky sports pack so I guess we can only wait and see. Obviously sky would get more viewers as a lot of Virgin/BT users have the sports package, however the likeliness is that they will want to keep it exclusive.
The problem for BT vision, is the lack of Freeview/Top=Up TV channels available. Essentially something would have to go to make space.

Virgin is more likely to happen, it would just be carrier negotiations that are probably being sorted out, mostly likely on which Virgin package it's carried in.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3007568)   #1381
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I notice from their estimated viewer ratings that sky expect a big drop in viewers. This seems strange as someone paying for their service will surely use it unless the quality of their service is way less than that of the BBC.
I will have access to both and will watch the races I can on the BBC rather than Sky. I think the BBC have a decent line up for 2012 and can't see any reason not to watch them when they are covering a live race. Sky will be trying to give it the 'full Sky Sports treatment' but i'm not particularly bothered about the fancy screen borders and being reminded what else is on the F1 channel when I really want to see a proper build up programme to be honest. At the end of the day both channels will probably do a good job of delivering the sport to our screens, but the BBC will still be the mainstream F1 source for the UK and I'm pretty sure they'll give Sky a run for their money in terms of quality.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3007596)   #1382
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sky Have also back tracked on Sky GO

Previously they were saying the only way to get the F1 Channel on Sky GO, was to Have Sky Sports, apparently they have changed this.
If you have the HD Mix only, then the F1 Channel will be available on Sky Go as well.

Apologies for link to another Forum but this is the Source
Old 5 Jan 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3007603)   #1383
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Sky Have also back tracked on Sky GO

Previously they were saying the only way to get the F1 Channel on Sky GO, was to Have Sky Sports, apparently they have changed this.
If you have the HD Mix only, then the F1 Channel will be available on Sky Go as well.

Apologies for link to another Forum but this is the Source
They also clarified that on their twitter page:

Quote:
Sky Sports F1
@ritesh993 Sorry we were wrong before. If you have the HD pack and not sports you will also receive the F1 channel on Sky Go.
7 minutes ago
Obviously its from the same source..
Old 5 Jan 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3007605)   #1384
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Something tells me they were hoping people would be confused and just sign up for the full Sports pack initially. Why else would they apologize for being 'wrong before'? Thats a little naughty if they attempted to mislead customers in the first instance IMO.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3007628)   #1385
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A conspiracy, or just a mistake? More likely a mistake. It wouldn't have been a good scheme, how many would sign up for skygo and in such a short space of time!

You should work for sky if you can invent such an evil scheme.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3007639)   #1386
henners88
Veteran

Wales
'If' being the opperative word.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3007668)   #1387
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Sky GO is set up on 4 package options slightly different to the TV packages.

From the Website they are..
Entertainment (which appears to include content from both the Entertainment and Entertainment Extra TV Packages)
Entertainment + Movies
Entertainment + Sports
Entertainment + Sports + Movies

From that it's pretty clear where the confusion comes from as the F1 Channel doesn't readily fall into the Entertainment section as it's essentially a Bonus channel for those with HD. As Sky GO isn't in HD, the SD version of the F1 channel is going to have to be specifically added.

I'm also told that the people that answer the Sky Forums and do the other Social Media stuff like Twitter and Facebook, are actually just call centre staff. They have the same information to give out as the telephone advisers.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3007669)   #1388
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

I'm also told that the people that answer the Sky Forums and do the other Social Media stuff like Twitter and Facebook, are actually just call centre staff. They have the same information to give out as the telephone advisers.
THey've obviously been placed there to willingly mislead as all then
Old 5 Jan 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3007683)   #1389
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
In all honesty, I know one of them, and they are being given the same press releases as the media are... usually after they have been given to the media or have been put onto Sky's own websites.
As a result the questions being asked are often about something they themselves haven't been made aware of yet. It's because of that, the information has been a bit muddled initially then gets clarified.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3007705)   #1390
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
THey've obviously been placed there to willingly mislead as all then
I highly doubt it. Come on.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3007721)   #1391
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After all sky staff are working for the Murdocks and would you trust them?
Old 5 Jan 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3007740)   #1392
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I highly doubt it. Come on.
Seriously???

If you'll note the winking smilie in my post, you'll realise that i was joking!
Old 5 Jan 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3007824)   #1393
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Seriously???

If you'll note the winking smilie in my post, you'll realise that i was joking!
Then why are you consistently poking fun at anyone who is slightly critical of Sky?

Sky aren't the most moral broadcasting company on the planet and thats open to discussion. That doesn't mean we need idiotic over exaggerations and sarcastic pretend agreements. I put forward the possibility they may have tried to mislead customers, but it was only a theoretic possibility as we are unlikely to find out. I personally don't know. It may have been a genuine mistake? So seriously, lets try and discuss without taking the mick.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3007826)   #1394
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James Allen will replace Croft on Five live.

http://twitter.com/#!/EllyOldroyd/st...09641435250688
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3007828)   #1395
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mr V doesn't poke fun at anyone who is slightly critical of sky.

Let's just discuss sky, their new product, how to get it, the cost, the impact, the quality, and anything else relevant. It will work best if we start by trying to understand others posts first before responding. We could all do with doing that.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3007830)   #1396
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

http://twitter.com/#!/EllyOldroyd/st...09641435250688
Oh good.

For the purposes of clarity that was sarcasm.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3007865)   #1397
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Then why are you consistently poking fun at anyone who is slightly critical of Sky?

Sky aren't the most moral broadcasting company on the planet and thats open to discussion. That doesn't mean we need idiotic over exaggerations and sarcastic pretend agreements. I put forward the possibility they may have tried to mislead customers, but it was only a theoretic possibility as we are unlikely to find out. I personally don't know. It may have been a genuine mistake? So seriously, lets try and discuss without taking the mick.
I am probably about as impressed as you with the Sky thing, henners, but we have to discern people's tone a bit on here, and I think it was clear Mr V means no harm and is just playing with a few of his comments.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3007866)   #1398
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I am probably about as impressed as you with the Sky thing, henners, but we have to discern people's tone a bit on here, and I think it was clear Mr V means no harm and is just playing with a few of his comments.
Fair enough. Maybe I aimed a bit of my frustration at him when I have been provoked across many sources. I apologize to the mods for my tone and will resist the temptation to get as heated in future.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3007868)   #1399
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

http://twitter.com/#!/EllyOldroyd/status/155009641435250688
Thats fine. I shall not be listening to 5 Live though. I enjoy his writing but he is no commentator and I find him incredibly annoying. I think I would rather have Legard if I am honest.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3007869)   #1400
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Me too!

Out of all this it is only really Five Live that has ended up with a team that is less than brilliant.

Tags
outrage, sky