Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jun 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2902226)   #151
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont quite understand all the vitriol surrounding this thing - I was a little disappointed when it was announced, simply because it isnt as interesting as what I was expecting for the 56th entry, but why all the hate? It really seems to have hit a button somewhere.

As for Panoz funding this thing, and the idea that we're getting this rather than a well funded ALMS - my understanding was that he was more of a consultant, and wasn't pouring any of his own money into this. It wouldnt make much sense to be funding this at the expense of the ALMS.

The biggest piece of news in all of this, and probably the biggest disappointment, surely has to be the fact that Highcroft are involved - meaning we wont see them with a proper program for next year at least. This hasnt really been discussed a whole lot.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2902234)   #152
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems a lot of a negativity about the Delta Wing.

I don't know if it'll work, but there are a lot of pretty credible people behind it, so I can't believe it's a ludicrous as people suggest.

As for the suggestion that all 'people' want is another car that looks like other LMPs, I'd disagree.

I'm sure the Delta Wing will earn a lot more general public interest than another open top diesel LMP1 (or a dire Aston project) and I've been following Sportscar racing since the 70s and I think this is a lot more interesting a concept than most I've seen in that time.

I share a bit of doubt in exactly how this will work, but I'll be intrigued to see if they can do it and if it actually gets to race I would bet cold hard cash on it raising the awareness of Le Mans 2012 far higher than a Toyota works entry...

M
Old 20 Jun 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2902407)   #153
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is worth a try. A proof of concept I guess. I don't know if they needed to make a double cockpit, it is only a public live condition test. The thing was designed around a single seat.
And does one actually exist? Not the foam and fiber glass one from the shows.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2902488)   #154
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post
I suspect this could be the reason why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkTv8DGlrok
Old 20 Jun 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2902552)   #155
Mike007
Rookie

England
Orpington, Kent
Mike007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if it works, then great, it will bring more interest. But the thing is, it just looks wrong! If you look at the quick cars, then historically they all look 'right' or fast. And this doesn't really look right. It looks like something I drew in primary school, although without the machine guns and rocket launchers!
Old 21 Jun 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2902907)   #156
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Hence, AAR apparently being lined up to build it, which also is a marketing ploy as I don't think they were mentioned in the indycar choice, but I didn't follow so don't know.
AAR has been out of Indycar since Gurney after helping do all the legwork in the development of the Toyota engine to make it fast got told by Toyota "we're no longer giving you an engine". That was mid-to-late '90s.

The DeltaWing in Indycar was nothing more than Chip Ganassi's attempt to take control of the series like Roger Penske, Pat Patrick, and Carl Haas did in the late '80s/early '90s to ensure most of the people on the grid were dependent on buying a car from him in order to continue competing.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2902917)   #157
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike007 View Post
if it works, then great, it will bring more interest. But the thing is, it just looks wrong! If you look at the quick cars, then historically they all look 'right' or fast. And this doesn't really look right. It looks like something I drew in primary school, although without the machine guns and rocket launchers!
Exactly what I keep saying; it's a car that an 8 year old would sketch up for fun.

I don't doubt that it can be made to work in some capacity, I just don't care if it does or not. As mentioned, it was designed as a spec racer for a single-seater series. It doesn't belong in sportscar racing. It was not designed to any hint of rules whatsoever; it has no connection to the road in any way.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2902922)   #158
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post

I don't know if it'll work, but there are a lot of pretty credible people behind it, so I can't believe it's a ludicrous as people suggest.

As for the suggestion that all 'people' want is another car that looks like other LMPs, I'd disagree.

I'm sure the Delta Wing will earn a lot more general public interest than another open top diesel LMP1 (or a dire Aston project) and I've been following Sportscar racing since the 70s and I think this is a lot more interesting a concept than most I've seen in that time.

I share a bit of doubt in exactly how this will work, but I'll be intrigued to see if they can do it and if it actually gets to race I would bet cold hard cash on it raising the awareness of Le Mans 2012 far higher than a Toyota works entry...

M
Couldn't agree more.

I watch a little of the 24 hours, but it's just a bit too long for me (I know that's the point, but you get me). I'm a big motor racing fan, but the thought of this vehicle entering the Le Mans next year will definitely give me a good reason to watch.

I can't understand all the negativity.

I thought people wanted creativity and stopped watching things like F1 because it became so 'spec' orientated, so chose Le Mans (and LMS) instead..? I'm not too sure I understand all the uproar tbh.

I appreciate that some die-hards here want this car or that car, but this is genuinely quite an extreme design (well, duh), and to see this alongside all the other competitors, will be something!!

Selby
Old 21 Jun 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2903135)   #159
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
AAR has been out of Indycar since Gurney after helping do all the legwork in the development of the Toyota engine to make it fast got told by Toyota "we're no longer giving you an engine". That was mid-to-late '90s.

The DeltaWing in Indycar was nothing more than Chip Ganassi's attempt to take control of the series like Roger Penske, Pat Patrick, and Carl Haas did in the late '80s/early '90s to ensure most of the people on the grid were dependent on buying a car from him in order to continue competing.
Right, so the efforts were undertaken to come up with something that would be produced as a fleet and not a single unit, and the reason and the concept potentially for the unusual design was control of another unrelated racing series. So, with the current plan we are talking one car running in its own exclusive class. Sure, on a world stage, but the economics are wildly different then building a fleet for indycar.

Has AAR only been doing the Alligator since having been left behind by Toyota, with whom they had a very successful period in IMSA with the Celicas and the Eagles?
Old 23 Jun 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2904594)   #160
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen the computer animation on Mariantic of the car( or whatever they call it ) doing a lap at Le mans.
This is just a joke, it looks horrible just like a race sidecar on steroids, and sounds like a bee!
Maybe they should ask Steve Webster or Rolf Biland to do the driving of this thing, after all they were used to side car racing!
Old 23 Jun 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2904760)   #161
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Just seen the computer animation on Mariantic of the car( or whatever they call it ) doing a lap at Le mans.
This is just a joke, it looks horrible just like a race sidecar on steroids, and sounds like a bee!
Maybe they should ask Steve Webster or Rolf Biland to do the driving of this thing, after all they were used to side car racing!
Thanks, just took a look and it confirms what I thought. This thing looks ridiculous.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2905310)   #162
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Highcroft are inviting questions on the DeltaWing.

Quote:
Want to know more about the DeltaWing? Post your questions today @highcroftracing and we'll pick 10 & post at http://ow.ly/5pDlO #LM24 #alms
Old 24 Jun 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2905324)   #163
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How many times do you think they have received 'What were you thinking?' just in the first hour?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2905386)   #164
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
How many times do you think they have received 'What were you thinking?' just in the first hour?
wasn't me

If they are taking suggestions, I would say make sure the check(s) clear.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2907087)   #165
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't been here in a while and thought I would check to see some hate for the Abruzzi making an appearance at Mosport and was delighted to find this thread on the DW. I had to go back and read it from the beginning

Oh thanks to the haters for all the LOLZ

I love this project, Dan Gurney, Don Panoz, Highcroft and Deltawing offering up this wacky thing is great. Looks like the majority of sports car fans don't like something new, might want to look down the hall at Grand-Am, it will probably be more to your liking.

Fear not the strange stuff, it's the spice of life, sometimes it works sometimes not. Like the Chaparral Sucker and Shadow Mk1 the Deltawing will be something different and strange to behold... can't wait.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2907201)   #166
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Highcroft are inviting questions on the DeltaWing.
How many different ways can you actually ask the question 'Will it corner?'
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2907395)   #167
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What will the competion look like? A possibility, used Space Shuttle air frames.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2907570)   #168
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The only question I would like to see Highcroft answer is"If your primary project hadn't evaporated,would you have attempted to take a single seater that was specifically designed for a banked oval to a conventional circuit?"
Old 28 Jun 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2907640)   #169
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't wait for next years Le Mans.I'm going to witness something either quite mind blowing or I'll be rolling on the floor racked with laughter.Can't lose either way!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2907700)   #170
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Can't wait for next years Le Mans.I'm going to witness something either quite mind blowing or I'll be rolling on the floor racked with laughter.Can't lose either way!
As I said in a previous post, I can understand why the Le Mans purists will and do hate the D-Wing, it is however the ACO's decision.

Have any of the teams who might contest next year objected to the D-Wing?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:42 (Ref:2907713)   #171
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Have any of the teams who might contest next year objected to the D-Wing?
It's running out of class, so the only folks I would imagine objecting would be the P1 teams who wouldn't want any chance it could win overall. Since they are targeting P2 lap times, there's no chance of that. Being new everything, it will be a very successful outing if they can get to the end of the 24H.

Mostly it will be about throwing up a few hours of decent lap times using a lot less fuel than the P2's.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2907714)   #172
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
It's running out of class, so the only folks I would imagine objecting would be the P1 teams who wouldn't want any chance it could win overall. Since they are targeting P2 lap times, there's no chance of that. Being new everything, it will be a very successful outing if they can get to the end of the 24H.

Mostly it will be about throwing up a few hours of decent lap times using a lot less fuel than the P2's.
Ok, thanks for the info.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:54 (Ref:2907717)   #173
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
You mean watching the AMR battle neck and neck with the Delta for Garage space?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:57 (Ref:2907718)   #174
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
How many different ways can you actually ask the question 'Will it corner?'
Since it was originally designed as a Road Course compatible car, (some of the very first vids were at a sim Mid Ohio Course) it should turn. But then you have to ask if the Indycars are on par with prototypes. Because it was designed to replace the current Dallara indy thing.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2907818)   #175
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the driver dive's up the inside to overtake, how can he be sure there's enough space for the rear wheels to get through?

Shouldn't it have some form of out runners at the front to give him a reference point.