Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Aug 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3289415)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
You have to be kidding me.

It's right there in the middle of the article.
Nope not kidding. Any real chance of being a professional driver and having a career exists on the Nascar side of the fence. Nascar IS motor racing in the USA now. There is no point in spending millions to get into indy, unless you just have money to blow and want to race at indy. It's a dead end street financially.

You mention the press issue. The series doesn't get press coverage because there is nothing of value to cover. These are not cars and drivers the American public wants to see.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3289446)   #52
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Gordon Kirby offers up a long interview with Dan Andersen. A highlight:

Quote:
"I'm looking at an operating budget, not including the cost of the car, of somewhere in the $700,000-$800,000 range per year, which is far less than the comparable European series. But we have to build the interest before we see the budgets rise and to do that we need a car that's sexy and relatively high-tech.

"If I could, I'd go back and take the last Atlantic car, the Swift 016, and upgrade it so they could run it at Indianapolis because I think that's a cool car. Swift actually pitched me on taking that car and adding some side intrusion panels and attenuators and wheel tethers and so on to allow it to run on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. They've also got the 017 which is their Formula Nippon car.

"There's interest in those things as possible cars that we could let in 2015, but there are problems too. I need a car that's available at a price that my teams can handle and part of my requirement is that the manufacturers that I deal with offer financing. So far, so good. They seem to be willing to do that.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3289498)   #53
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
The only thing left to do is for Mr. Andersen to take over the whole main series. He couldn't do any worse than the ones running it right now.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3289620)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
That's a great article as ever, by Gordon Kirby.

I think Andersen's spot on when he says,

"It starts with somehow making the actual sport more interesting and appealing. I'm not on that level and I don't know what the solution is, but it's got to revolve around the technology. The one thing IndyCar can offer versus NASCAR is a higher level of technology. They've got to maybe move away from the model they have of a spec series. It's great for the ladder series but at the top there's got to be some variation to create some interest."

F1 partially sells itself as being at the pinnacle of owr, due to the technology involved.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3292115)   #55
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/honda-intereste...rticle/308039/
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3292388)   #56
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's a bad idea to have a single engine from Honda or Chevrolet. Either have both, or a single engine from another manufacturer like Mazda, Nissan, SRT or Ford.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 00:33 (Ref:3292579)   #57
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Having read most of the comments here I really feel bad for American open wheel drivers... There's no doubt Indycar is in serious trouble. Although I have appreciated nearly every race, especially Mid Ohio, I can't find the reason why the series has dropped so much in popularity. Is it the DW12? Is it the engines?
Is sound and sight a factor?

anyway, lets go on topic:

If they are so expensive to run, how much do they cost compared to... ...let's say, a Formula 3 car? I mean, there must be some motorsports fans across the pond that prefer BOTH ovals and road courses.

I watch Nascar sometimes and the racing is good, but goddamn... ...only 2 out of 40 events with road courses? I think thats insane, how can drivers like Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon and even my #1 JPM enjoy turning left atleast 38000 times a season (I don't have the exact number)? I will never understand that. 10 RC/30 ovals would atleast have been something...

Another thought: are the Gokart societys in NA gonna suffer from this, i mean, in Europe there are drivers that have a target with what their doing. Is Indycar really something that influences gokart drivers anymore?
Old 24 Aug 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3293579)   #58
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
There's no doubt Indycar is in serious trouble. I can't find the reason why the series has dropped so much in popularity. Is it the DW12? Is it the engines?
Is sound and sight a factor?
TO me, it's: terrible cooperation between stakeholders, terrible management, bad television deals, dotcom bubble implosion, loss of tobacco sponsorship.

Quote:
If they are so expensive to run, how much do they cost compared to... ...let's say, a Formula 3 car? I mean, there must be some motorsports fans across the pond that prefer BOTH ovals and road courses.
Quote:
how can drivers like Kasey Kahne, Jeff Gordon and even my #1 JPM enjoy turning left atleast 38000 times a season (I don't have the exact number)?
It's closer to 15,000 times

It's a cultural thing. American gearheads love ovals.

Quote:
Another thought: are the Gokart societys in NA gonna suffer from this, i mean, in Europe there are drivers that have a target with what their doing. Is Indycar really something that influences gokart drivers anymore?
Randy Bernard, the previous IndyCar chief executive, wanted to help karting. The current staff only care about IndyCar, they have given the Road to Indy to Dan Andersen.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3294015)   #59
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Well if what happened at Sonoma is an example of quality race management and the excellence of the Indycar judicial system then they just shot themselves in the foot big time...
Old 26 Aug 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3294228)   #60
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know, the USF2000 is big, the Star Mazda reasonable, and the Indy Lights pretty awful.

About racing in Europe, the USA has the best stock car series in the world (however fixed) and the 2nd highest tiered open wheel series in Indycar. The Indy 500 alone is a good enough pull. The only problems with Indycar are lack of media coverage and their officiating.

Last edited by Biscuits In A Red Bull; 26 Aug 2013 at 14:51. Reason: Not big problems at all eh?
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3294623)   #61
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's also a big problem for GP2, as Alfonso Orléans-Borbons tells.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 02:32 (Ref:3313370)   #62
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I was checking the Wikipedia articles on the USF2000 and Pro Mazda. Here's some interesting facts:

USF2000 has had over 20 entries at every race, even the Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis. Canadian driver Scott Hargrove won the title today over American Neil Alberico and Canadian Garrett Grist.

Last September, Alexandre Baron won the Laguna Seca race 1 and finished third at the race 2. He's the 2012 French Formula 4 champion. That championship has had champions like Franck Montagny, Loic Duval, Jean-Karl Vernay, Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne; also Tristan Vautier and Charles Pic were 2nd and 3rd a few years ago. It's great that young European champions join USF2000.

Star Mazda bottomed at 10 entries at the Indianapolis and Milwaukee rounds. Trois-Rivieres and Houston have had 14 entries, let's hope that Dan Andersen can make it grow for 2014 with some USF2000 graduates.

Matthew Brabham, the 2012 USF2000 champion, is the son of Geoff and grandson of Jack. He has won 12 races out of 15, so he obviously is the champion.

Venezuelan Diego Ferreira is the vice-champion with a win and 11 podiums. Shelby Blackstock (8th in 2012 USF2000) is currently third, and Spencer Pigot (4th in 2012 USF2000) is two points behind.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3332607)   #63
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chatting to (British) driver Scott Malvern the other day & he tells me he's had quite a bit of interest from the USA since his Walter Hayes Trophy victory a couple of weeks back.

Scott did of course have a successful test in Pro-Mazda for Team Pelfrey back in the summer. He told that as far as Europe goes he knows it would be difficult to continue in single seaters but would relish being able to get a foot on the Road To Indy ladder if he gets the opportunity.

I really hope someone out there can make it happen for him as I think he'd go really well in either Pro-Mazda or USF2000.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3347229)   #64
Jape
Rookie

Jape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a offtopic, but what is the approximate season budget needed drive to:

Indy Lights?
Pro Mazda?
USF2000?
F1600?

Any estimates?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3347281)   #65
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Racer published the numbers in the 2013 Fall issue. I don't remember them.