Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Feb 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3802982)   #26
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Thanks but hopefully none of that at Road Atlanta. That would price the groups who do use the track right out the door. Plus there is VERY little room outside of the track walls and work areas that they could buy. Believe the property edge is within feet of the walls from 2 out to 7 so no expansion there. There has been off track construction behind 8 for other events that was just completed recently to use the extra space they had. And the track runs in a shoe string budget as it is.

And ISC has spent a TON of money in the last couple of years around the track and they have a list of things to improve that's years long already.
Here's the current property record for Road Atlanta. When you go to the site then click on maps and it'll give you the property line.
https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Ap...=15028B000011A
Old 21 Feb 2018, 20:04 (Ref:3803004)   #27
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Except the owners have said multiple times they can not work beyond the walls there as they do not own the land there. And there are restrictions in that area as well due to noise and watershed concerns. Just going by statements made by track officials and discussions I have been lucky enough to be a part of being at the track early with officials and actually asking questions about why things are the way they are. And have requested a few things they have said are in the works. The area outside of 8 has storage and equipment within it, and one of the garages full of old signage and advertising.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 21:39 (Ref:3803025)   #28
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Except the owners have said multiple times they can not work beyond the walls there as they do not own the land there. And there are restrictions in that area as well due to noise and watershed concerns. Just going by statements made by track officials and discussions I have been lucky enough to be a part of being at the track early with officials and actually asking questions about why things are the way they are. And have requested a few things they have said are in the works. The area outside of 8 has storage and equipment within it, and one of the garages full of old signage and advertising.
According to the official property lines, they can. So, who do you believe, the officials or what the official property lines say? If it was me, I'd believe what is on the deed, not what officials have been feeding people.

Quote:
Thanks but hopefully none of that at Road Atlanta. That would price the groups who do use the track right out the door.
What events do they run at Road Atlanta would be chased out of there because of a clubhouse and town homes? Right now, NJMP and VIR hold similar events yet both have clubhouses and town homes.

What you need to look at is COTA, They figured they could crank out high prices for rental. It took about 1 year for COTA to figure out that an F1 track does not mean, F1 prices for all. They tried and found themselves sitting around with nobody using the facility. In the end, don't mistake having a better facility to mean bigger prices and the lower level guys going away. There's too much competition out there. The market dictates the price. Even a big place like Daytona still runs anything they can find.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 23:35 (Ref:3803048)   #29
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The fact that you believe that is a 100 percent accurate statement of property lines means you have never dealt with Georgia online deed maps. I have, and even in the current tax record and deed maps lines are WAY off and have to be resubmitted constantly. I have to request surveys weekly to determine ownership boundaries. Plus they may not be able to build on that land as part of a covenant on their deed. I have no way of knowing that information and neither do you without requesting a legal copy of it through a record request, usually with a justification for such request.

As for VIR, that track has used the condo and allowed living space on the track to fund themselves. Road Atlanta would not be allowed rezoning as they have enough trouble with the county and new residents already. I know a few people who own there and it's NOT cheap at all and rates have gone through the roof. There was an early attempt to offer deals to those who moved in to Chateu Elan country club similar deals for track access and it was laughed at by most.

COTA is supported by millions from the state of Texas still. Check back in 10 years on that one, but apparently they are concerned about their rental future. But I've only read a few things as I find the track completely distasteful and repulsive with 100k 'camping spots'
Old 22 Feb 2018, 02:21 (Ref:3803059)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post

In the end, instead of looking at the gloom and doom of Road Atlanta...
No one here has been doing this. It was said at the beginning that it was possible that a sale could lead to something and IF it was to happen, we'd be upset. Why we keep repeating this narrative and then arguing the point is beyond me.

Gloom and doom? Check the ratings for the Daytona 500. Worst. Ever.

Old 22 Feb 2018, 15:27 (Ref:3803183)   #31
jjvincent
Racer

Sounds like Road Atlanta is going to close then. Better enjoy it now. I never realized it was so bad at that track. I thought Lime Rock was bad but they are lenient as compared to Road Atlanta.

Petit needs to move to Barber ASAP. The developer there knows how to deal with the local government. I know because he rented a car from me one year and we had a nice talk about their battle with the watershed and just about every environmental group you can imagine. With that, they have expanded the whole area and turned it into a tax revenue machine for the county. If any of you went to Barber when they opened and then today, you'll see what they have done is quite impressive.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 02:32 (Ref:3803294)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sounds like Road Atlanta is going to close then. Better enjoy it now. I never realized it was so bad at that track. I thought Lime Rock was bad but they are lenient as compared to Road Atlanta.

Petit needs to move to Barber ASAP. The developer there knows how to deal with the local government. I know because he rented a car from me one year and we had a nice talk about their battle with the watershed and just about every environmental group you can imagine. With that, they have expanded the whole area and turned it into a tax revenue machine for the county. If any of you went to Barber when they opened and then today, you'll see what they have done is quite impressive.
Barber is much more impressive than this poor, wasted attempt to troll.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3803302)   #33
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Barber is much more impressive than this poor, wasted attempt to troll.
I gotta agree with this statement. People were discussing the possibility of a land sale in this thread, I thought the discussion was good personally. People expressed their opinions and gave reasons for their way of thinking. That's why Tenths exist.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3803406)   #34
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I gotta agree with this statement. People were discussing the possibility of a land sale in this thread, I thought the discussion was good personally. People expressed their opinions and gave reasons for their way of thinking. That's why Tenths exist.
My problem is, I've been to lots of racetracks all over the world. While I like many of them, some are really nice. Barber is one of them. I was even there for the first race they ever had there and even today, the place is even better. They took the land and did everything from getting a motel, a Bass Pro Shops and an outlet mall there. There was even talk about Yamaha moving their HQ to Barber. Trust me, they had a huge issue with the environmentalists when building that facility, yet got through that.

As for Rod Atlanta, that place has many memories for me and I like the facility too. It's that it could be updated with some other business opportunities to make it even a better facility and be part of the area. Not something fighting it. It seems that the gloom and doom is that RA is going to be sold when I don't see that at all. On the other hand, if the people in the area keep up with the attitude that it's doomed, then it will be.

BTW: Road Atlanta, Road America and Mid Ohio were sentimental favorites for me in 2014 because each of those tracks, became the 40th year since I first was there. It was nice to see how they have changed in certain ways but still kept the character (technically Mid Ohio is completely different because 1982 was the major overhaul of that facility).
Old 23 Feb 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3803409)   #35
jjvincent
Racer

Over the last 40 years here are the permanent facility sportscar tracks that I have been to which are now closed:

1. Bridgehampton
2. Ontario
3. Riverside
4. IRP
5. MAR

Here's what has opened:
1. Barber
2. NOLA
3. Homestead
4. VIR (it reopened)
5. NJMP
6. Monticello
7. New Hampshire
8. Miller
9. Atlanta Motorsports Park
10. PPIR (it closed for a bit but is open again)
11. Iowa Speedway
12. Kansas Speedway
13. Topeka
14. Fontana
15. Carolina Motorsports park
16. Pittsburgh International Race Complex

Just for me, there have been 3X the amount of tracks open as compared to the ones that have closed. Certain ones I honestly thought they would have been gone because they were POS facilities yet have turned their act around:

1. Nelson Ledges
2. Summit Point (how this place survived is a testament of someone knowing what to do because it was a dump in the 70's and the major celebration was they finally repaved it 8 months ago. It literally became the gold standard of the worst racetrack for at least 30 years).
3. Blackhawk Farms
4. Hallet
5. Grattan
6. Waterford Hills

In the end, if Road Atlanta can't survive, it's their own fault.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 14:40 (Ref:3803410)   #36
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My problem is, I've been to lots of racetracks all over the world. While I like many of them, some are really nice. Barber is one of them. I was even there for the first race they ever had there and even today, the place is even better. They took the land and did everything from getting a motel, a Bass Pro Shops and an outlet mall there. There was even talk about Yamaha moving their HQ to Barber. Trust me, they had a huge issue with the environmentalists when building that facility, yet got through that.

As for Rod Atlanta, that place has many memories for me and I like the facility too. It's that it could be updated with some other business opportunities to make it even a better facility and be part of the area. Not something fighting it. It seems that the gloom and doom is that RA is going to be sold when I don't see that at all. On the other hand, if the people in the area keep up with the attitude that it's doomed, then it will be.

BTW: Road Atlanta, Road America and Mid Ohio were sentimental favorites for me in 2014 because each of those tracks, became the 40th year since I first was there. It was nice to see how they have changed in certain ways but still kept the character (technically Mid Ohio is completely different because 1982 was the major overhaul of that facility).
There is a "country club" track nearby which I think might be a hindrance to your idea. Road Atlanta is more open to the "public" too and, as you pointed out, has tons of SCCA, NASA, Chump Car events, and relatively inexpensive track days every weekend.

Nascar isn't going to be sold. I don't see any doom and gloom, just mostly joking. I'm not sure who your argument is with?
Old 23 Feb 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3803411)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

There's "no gloom and doom" here except from you.

Barber is a beautiful facility that doesn't produce the greatest ontrack product and is not very fan friendly, imho.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3803417)   #38
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
This is my only concern.

For a series that 2 decades ago was quite possibly the most popular national series in the world to what it is today is sad. I'm over the sadness, but hope it doesn't drag my home track down with it.
Post #3. Start of the gloom and doom.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3803422)   #39
jjvincent
Racer

Forget Barber. Then we will go back to the early GA days and finish off the year at Daytona. We start Saturday with a 2hr PC race from 8-10am. Then we have a 6 hour MTSC race from 12-6. After that, the WT race from 11pm to 9am. That way there's a boatload of racing, no sound ordinances, it'll most likely be warmer and lots of camping space. Everyone gets a treat to have the big race run mostly at night. Fans then can leave on Sunday and go home to be at work for Monday. The awards banquet can be held at the Motorsports Hall of Fame Of America Museum at the track.
Old 23 Feb 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3803424)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Post #3. Start of the gloom and doom.
Not in the least bit, but I'm not getting any further into semantics.
Old 26 Feb 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3804139)   #41
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just for me, there have been 3X the amount of tracks open as compared to the ones that have closed. Certain ones I honestly thought they would have been gone because they were POS facilities yet have turned their act around:

1. Nelson Ledges
2. Summit Point (how this place survived is a testament of someone knowing what to do because it was a dump in the 70's and the major celebration was they finally repaved it 8 months ago. It literally became the gold standard of the worst racetrack for at least 30 years).
3. Blackhawk Farms
4. Hallet
5. Grattan
6. Waterford Hills

In the end, if Road Atlanta can't survive, it's their own fault.
Hey now! Us mid atlantic types love our summit point. yeah its still a little....dated...but it has its charms
Old 27 Feb 2018, 14:58 (Ref:3804293)   #42
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
1. Nelson Ledges
3. Blackhawk Farms
4. Hallet
5. Grattan
6. Waterford Hills
What a great list of hidden diamants - at least to the bigger audience. Anyways, hope to be able to attend events at one or two more of above listed 6 this year. Having only one of these on my personal list so far (Halllett, my home track) is truly underwhelming when I think of it...

On a Road Atlanta related note: turns out my brother-in-law recently purchased a property literally around the corner from the track (after being relocated for work to the ATL area)! Last weekend he was reorganizing stuff in the garage when he noticed car noises coming from the north - his neighborhood is right behind turns 6 and 7 - if a car goes in the gravel at 6 violently enough, the rocks might hit his roof! The guy had no idea that he is so close to the race track so I gently brought the upcoming Trans Am event at the end of March (for starters) to his attention...
Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3804296)   #43
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
What a great list of hidden diamants - at least to the bigger audience. Anyways, hope to be able to attend events at one or two more of above listed 6 this year. Having only one of these on my personal list so far (Halllett, my home track) is truly underwhelming when I think of it...

On a Road Atlanta related note: turns out my brother-in-law recently purchased a property literally around the corner from the track (after being relocated for work to the ATL area)! Last weekend he was reorganizing stuff in the garage when he noticed car noises coming from the north - his neighborhood is right behind turns 6 and 7 - if a car goes in the gravel at 6 violently enough, the rocks might hit his roof! The guy had no idea that he is so close to the race track so I gently brought the upcoming Trans Am event at the end of March (for starters) to his attention...
Easter weekend with SVRA, I'll be there for the day and deaf for Easter I'm guessing.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 22:34 (Ref:3804419)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
The guy had no idea that he is so close to the race track
I still don't see how this happens in this day in age. Location, location, location...

But hey! Free place to stay on trips to the track now, right?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3804437)   #45
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I still don't see how this happens in this day in age. Location, location, location...

But hey! Free place to stay on trips to the track now, right?

Although nothing new, usually I stay with friends in Gotham of Georgia aka Loganville.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3804574)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

Although nothing new, usually I stay with friends in Gotham of Georgia aka Loganville.
It's a wet track in Gotham of Georgia today.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3804709)   #47
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:

When I first moved to PA, Nazareth was still running and it was pretty cool to go out in a weekday morning and you could hear either a stock car, Indycar or midget out on the track.

There were a few other ones that were not really racetracks. Sunflower Aerodrome in Hutchinson KS (an old airforce base). Lake Afton (a park) and Ponca City OK. luckily youtube was invented and people post old films:
Ponca City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3EFnBYxCRE

Lake Afton (my friend in the 280Z is Morris Clement):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZPv6jHOoMc