Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 23 Jan 2004, 17:35 (Ref:848471)   #26
The Darkness
Racer

The Darkness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i was collecting them its just such as shame they don't do them any more. Its the same with the season review books that they did 1999/2000 then stopped.
Old 24 Jan 2004, 00:59 (Ref:848911)   #27
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OTOH, there were never any BTCC Mondeos from the '97 season on, after they had the new facelift. I thought they were the best looking cars around! You could have bought cars from every other make? I don't know why Ford was the exception?
Old 26 Jan 2004, 09:31 (Ref:850740)   #28
The Darkness
Racer

yeah there's no reason why. unless they were just to lazy to be bothered with making the new model Mondeo. which is ashame really because the later Mondeos would of looked really good.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 10:36 (Ref:850814)   #29
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I very much doubt that it down to lazyness.

Probably that the previous Mondeo models didn't sell, and they thought that it would be a waste of money making the model only to sell a few hundred.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 13:50 (Ref:851051)   #30
The Darkness
Racer

could be. but i've never seen any of the old Mondeos are they rare now that they've been out so long? unless its just me not looking hard enough.
Old 26 Jan 2004, 14:24 (Ref:851106)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
There are a few mondeos on ebay (surprise surprise ) some of these are the early model whilst others are the slightly later version with the boot spoiler - none of them have the rapid fit scheme though
Old 26 Jan 2004, 17:51 (Ref:851348)   #32
The Darkness
Racer

i would liked to of had a Rapid Fit Mondeo. i think another company should start making the models again of the new cars. i certainly would like to see the new cars as models.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 13:07 (Ref:853571)   #33
Steve Wood
Racer

Steve Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The high investment costs and the potentially small market prohibit manufacturers from making BTCC models, particularly to the high level of detail now expected.

Consider the tooling costs : Brass master model, Pressure Dies for body and floor pan, seperate Injection Moulds for interior, roll cage, glazing, front lights, rear lights, grille, then artwork for the decals, and a tampo printing fixture. All of this would be around £30,000 for a 1/43 touring car.

Then you maybe need the appropriate licences or permission from the car manufacturers, team, and sponsors - you can't just sell a model of somebody's car, there is intellectual property to consider. Some may be glad of the interest and exposure, but the more astute may want a cut of the action.

On a production run of 10,000 models, the above would add at least £3.00 per unit cost to recover the investment - and would they shift 10,000 Muller Vauxhalls ?

RC bodies are a different matter - overall impression and impact are more important than detail, the vac-form tooling is considerably cheaper, they are one-piece, one-colour (transparent), and they fit standard chassis.
Old 29 Jan 2004, 19:12 (Ref:855498)   #34
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that the Fords weren't made due to the massive licence fee Ford wanted - bummer
Old 30 Jan 2004, 02:45 (Ref:855906)   #35
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
I very much doubt that it down to lazyness.

Probably that the previous Mondeo models didn't sell, and they thought that it would be a waste of money making the model only to sell a few hundred.
Respectfully, that means there are more Vauxhall than Ford fans around? OTOH, I guess it's because the shape didn't change much over the years so they could resuse the same bodystyle? But wasn't there street versions of the '97 new bodystled Mondeos in 1/43?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:42 (Ref:856141)   #36
The Darkness
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
I heard that the Fords weren't made due to the massive licence fee Ford wanted - bummer
you mean that they wanted loads of money for them to make the ford mondeo/focus?
thats abit greedy isn't it?
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:24 (Ref:856200)   #37
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
Respectfully, that means there are more Vauxhall than Ford fans around? OTOH, I guess it's because the shape didn't change much over the years so they could resuse the same bodystyle? But wasn't there street versions of the '97 new bodystled Mondeos in 1/43?
I don't know how many Vauxhall models were sold, or wheter that year's Vauxhall was even made.
Wasn't there a Minichamp later spec Mondeo? I can't remember if it was 1/43.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 10:33 (Ref:856214)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
I don't know how many Vauxhall models were sold, or wheter that year's Vauxhall was even made.
Wasn't there a Minichamp later spec Mondeo? I can't remember if it was 1/43.
There's an early spec Mondeo available in various colour schemes and a slightly later spec version (with boot spoiler) in a couple of different colour schemes. As far as I know they didn't make a model of the final schemes used by Ford in the BTCC (rapid fit).
Old 2 Feb 2004, 11:02 (Ref:859915)   #39
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a couple of 1/43rd diecast BTCC cars, two RS500 Cossies one Rob Gravett and one Andy Rouse and the Listeriene BMW M3.
Has any body else got any of these or are they getting rare now??
Old 2 Feb 2004, 15:03 (Ref:860186)   #40
The Darkness
Racer

i haven't got any of those. i've seen Andy Rouse's Ford in magazines like Autosport and Robb Gravett but no more?
i've got a lot of the 1997-1998 and 1999 seasons models but no early models.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:05 (Ref:861194)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
RS500's come up quite frequently on ebay (mostly in the black/red Texaco cloour scheme). I've got a mixture of BTCC, STW and SUDAM Super Tourers a few DTM/ITC cars and some WRC machines.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:37 (Ref:861377)   #42
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
The black/red Texaco RS500 was the Eggenberger (if spelt correctly) european touring car, so was probably more widely available.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 13:33 (Ref:862661)   #43
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Found this on ebay, I've never heard of Dragon, but the detail is there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1190
Old 4 Feb 2004, 14:23 (Ref:862737)   #44
The Darkness
Racer

Is that one of those self build kits? if it is i've only ever seen the Volvo 850 Estate from 1994. thats the only one i've got?

Last edited by The Darkness; 4 Feb 2004 at 14:24.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 15:31 (Ref:862810)   #45
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Yes it is, along the same lines as 1/24th plastic model kits from Tamiya/Hasagawa, produced in the same part of the world aswell (I believe).
I think they are not a bad quality kit - only had a good look at a tank kit and they look quite good!
Old 6 Feb 2004, 08:25 (Ref:865113)   #46
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
Here is a picture of the 1/43rd Andy Rouse RS500 I was on about, it was done by a company in the UK, but I don't know if they are still going?
Attached Thumbnails
rouse rs500.jpg  
Old 6 Feb 2004, 09:17 (Ref:865168)   #47
The Darkness
Racer

Now i've never seen that before? I've seen the Mondeo he used to drive but never the Cosworth.

Last edited by The Darkness; 6 Feb 2004 at 09:18.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 10:41 (Ref:865263)   #48
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
I hope they are getting quite rare know (might be worth something one day!), you can just see the Rob Gravett RS500 to the left - just a plain whits car realy with a few modifications done by the same company.
But here is a picture of the Listerene M3 driven by the late Will Hoy, I always liked the look of this car.
Attached Thumbnails
hoy m3.jpg  
Old 8 Feb 2004, 03:44 (Ref:866808)   #49
kmchow
Veteran

Wow, that Listerine BMW and ICS Sierra are very rare! They would probably fetch a handsome amount on Ebay.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 09:35 (Ref:867937)   #50
The Darkness
Racer

thats a superb car. i would love to have that. it will be worth abit now Will Hoy is no longer with us.