Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 2018, 06:02 (Ref:3844884)   #1651
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Of course I once appeared on live TV chatting to Alain Prost.!!Maybe you recognise these two?
This day, was Prost talking or moaning… ? I'd say monsieur le baron on the left, but can't get the guy on the right. They look so young.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 06:12 (Ref:3844885)   #1652
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Had to make some search to check, Jacques Anquetil, a nice person. Must admit that Belgium and Holland had more champions than other countries.
Do you think the truck behind was a Saurer?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 06:21 (Ref:3844886)   #1653
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
If Wogan had his "TOGS", what are Bauble's followers called? Boobies?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Ah yes I still miss our Tel . Happy days.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 06:49 (Ref:3844889)   #1654
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Would you like me to sign your copy of my book, I could write a dedication on the fly leaf, something really personal ……..
That would be lovely Baub but don't forget the laws of libel...
Old 20 Aug 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3844891)   #1655
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Surely "BOGS".
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:13 (Ref:3844892)   #1656
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Surely "BOGS".
For what it is worth I am a founder member of the SoF. Silly Old Fools Club.

Now I am not suggesting ……...

PS; Membership is free.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3844912)   #1657
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Had to make some search to check, Jacques Anquetil, a nice person. Must admit that Belgium and Holland had more champions than other countries.
Do you think the truck behind was a Saurer?
Trust the French to get it wrong! Gerard that is Tom Simpson with Keith Butler racing at Crystal Palace in London, I was there with my camera.

Anquetil was a great champion. Vive la Tour!
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3844914)   #1658
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:

Hey! I am not launching a new political party, starting a cult, or trying to build a fan base, neither am I recruiting an army, it is just an old man sharing a few precious memories with his friends.

Of course some may see it as showing off, boasting, or a case of self aggrandisement, but I am a modest man, and as Winston Churchill once said about a rival "He is a modest man with much to be modest about"
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:55 (Ref:3844925)   #1659
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Trust the French to get it wrong! Gerard that is Tom Simpson with Keith Butler racing at Crystal Palace in London, I was there with my camera.

Anquetil was a great champion. Vive la Tour!

Ah, I got Tom Simpson but Keith Butler is not a name I recall from those times, not that there is any reason why I should. However the face looked very familiar for some reason. Possible in a different setting, which was confusing. Even then, if I was thinking of someone similar in looks, I could not come up with a name to go with the face.

Which year was that Bob?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3844938)   #1660
bauble
Veteran

England
Grant you can see that Keith is wearing a French trade team jersey, he was quite successful in his day, but not in the same class as Tom, as to the year I will have to do some research but I guess about 1960/61. A long time ago.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3844940)   #1661
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks, ami Robert, sure I was wrong. Could this pair match van Looy?
If you have some room available in your SoF club, just tell me, I'm in!

Closer from cars, did you ever spot the car Jean Pierre Wimille built? I was lucky enough to test one, fitted with a V8 Ford Vedette engine. Nice car.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3844945)   #1662
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Grant you can see that Keith is wearing a French trade team jersey, he was quite successful in his day, but not in the same class as Tom, as to the year I will have to do some research but I guess about 1960/61. A long time ago.

Cheers,

Bob
Hmm.

The Wikipedia entry seems to both help and hinder with attempting to put a year to the photo.

ETA: I think the photo has him looking a bit like a young David Cameron, facially, but that was not who I was originally thinking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Butler_(cyclist)

The Bedford vehicle would seem to suggest early 60s but jersey could hint at a later date.

I note his team was Norwood - so local to Crystal Palace.

I lived just across the road (well, within a couple of minutes walk to an entrance gate) from the Crystal Palace park in the late 50s and into '60 as I recall. Quite an interesting place to pop in an look at the dinosaurs. Also a couple of car races in the two years or thereabouts that we lived nearby.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3844946)   #1663
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Cheers,

Bob
Hmm.

The Wikipedia entry seems to both help and hinder with attempting to put a year to the photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Butler_(cyclist)

The Bedford vehicle would seem to suggest early 60s but jersey could hint at a later date.

I note his team was Norwood - so local to Crystal Palace.

I lived just across the road (well, within a couple of minutes walk to an entrance gate) from the Crystal Palace park in the late 50s and into '60 as I recall. Quite an interesting place to pop in an look at the dinosaurs. Also a couple of car races in the two years or thereabouts that we lived nearby.

ETA: I think the photo, facially, he looks a bit like a young David Cameron but that is not who I was originally thinking of. Wrong era.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3844963)   #1664
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thanks, ami Robert, sure I was wrong. Could this pair match van Looy?
If you have some room available in your SoF club, just tell me, I'm in!

Closer from cars, did you ever spot the car Jean Pierre Wimille built? I was lucky enough to test one, fitted with a V8 Ford Vedette engine. Nice car.
Rik Van Looy, was possible the greatest Classic's rider of his day, the first person to win all eight. Then along came Merckx to re-write the record books.
Rik was a 'roadmen sprinter' but still rode the Tour, and if I recall correctly once won the mountain's jersey, a most unlikely feat.

I think only Delta can match his achievements on a bike.

PS; Welcome to the club, you are officially Number 3.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3844970)   #1665
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
PS; Welcome to the club, you are officially Number 3.
I'm flattered, at last a podium place!
Old 20 Aug 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3844989)   #1666
bauble
Veteran

England
Grant I have delved into some old shoe boxes, and unearthed the program, the pictures are from the 1964 Corona Grand Prix at Crystal Palace. A number of top Continental riders were entered alongside many National Pros and Independents. Simpson won ahead of Shay Elliott and Keith Butler, can you name the other rider in this picture? He was another successful Brit abroad.
Attached Thumbnails
odds 1 005 (2).jpg  
Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3845023)   #1667
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

There are not so many names I recall from back then - probably due to less newspaper coverage and so less photos to bt a name to.

However one of them, having taken an opportunity to refresh my memory a little, is Barry Hoban. Not that I have a memory of a face to put to the name. But Google suggests a similarity with the rearmost gentleman.

I could be totally wrong of course.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3845036)   #1668
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Evening all,

Had a go in racing car on Saturday, being my first for two years due to one reason or another. It appears that my race suit has shrunk, as have the size of MGB doors.

Was ably assisted by Tim from this parish and had a thoroughly good time in Andrew Riley (Modes) MGB V8 on the GP circuit (thanks both). Started 40th and worked my way up about 20 places in my 20 minute stint before I handed over to the owner. Whilst Andrew was being strapped in by Tim I was accosted by the commentator for a few words due to my progress. however, Andrew informs me that our pit stop was 2 minutes longer than everyone else - style over content.

Apologies to JR - as you were.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3845059)   #1669
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
There are not so many names I recall from back then - probably due to less newspaper coverage and so less photos to bt a name to.

However one of them, having taken an opportunity to refresh my memory a little, is Barry Hoban. Not that I have a memory of a face to put to the name. But Google suggests a similarity with the rearmost gentleman.

I could be totally wrong of course.
Totally! Alan Ramsbottom. Barry Hoban was a very successful Brit, but someone less like Alan R is hard to imagine.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3845060)   #1670
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Evening all,

Had a go in racing car on Saturday, being my first for two years due to one reason or another. It appears that my race suit has shrunk, as have the size of MGB doors.

Was ably assisted by Tim from this parish and had a thoroughly good time in Andrew Riley (Modes) MGB V8 on the GP circuit (thanks both). Started 40th and worked my way up about 20 places in my 20 minute stint before I handed over to the owner. Whilst Andrew was being strapped in by Tim I was accosted by the commentator for a few words due to my progress. however, Andrew informs me that our pit stop was 2 minutes longer than everyone else - style over content.

Lots of things get smaller as on gets older Cliff. I only hope you are getting wiser.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3845068)   #1671
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Totally! Alan Ramsbottom. Barry Hoban was a very successful Brit, but someone less like Alan R is hard to imagine.

Ah, right. I thought the facial features looked somewhat similar but then I didn't find anything that would allow a decent attempt at comparison.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:54 (Ref:3845071)   #1672
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Lots of things get smaller as on gets older Cliff. I only hope you are getting wiser.
Trouble is, I can’t remember
Old 21 Aug 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3845109)   #1673
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MGBs do that. Mine is the same.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3845180)   #1674
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Whilst Andrew was being strapped in by Tim I was accosted by the commentator for a few words due to my progress. however, Andrew informs me that our pit stop was 2 minutes longer than everyone else - style over content.

The delay was because Andrew wouldn't put his HANS device on before getting in the car and I had to fiddle about with his helmet once he was in. Ooh er missus.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3845183)   #1675
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The delay was because Andrew wouldn't put his HANS device on before getting in the car and I had to fiddle about with his helmet once he was in. Ooh er missus.
They’re a nightmare when you’re not used to them. I need an assistant (who knows the angle the clips attach to the posts) otherwise I’m stymied.....

Well done Cliff on getting back into a race car- and a V8!