Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 9 Jan 2001, 16:56 (Ref:57617)   #1
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the cheapest form of (safe) Saloon motorsport (not karting).
Old 9 Jan 2001, 16:57 (Ref:57618)   #2
Sodemo2
Racer

!

And i don't mean banger racing!
Old 9 Jan 2001, 18:25 (Ref:57634)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those T-Cars are quite cheap I think.
Old 9 Jan 2001, 18:52 (Ref:57642)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Short oval racing or grass track racing i'd suggest.
Old 9 Jan 2001, 19:13 (Ref:57648)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T cars cost over £15k...

Do you really want to know??

Drayton Manor MG Metro Championship - I reckons, after doing plenty of research on the subject.. Cars at about a grand, cheapest possible...
Old 9 Jan 2001, 19:54 (Ref:57666)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to have to agree with Craig.

Class 1 Autograss racing.
It does get any cheaper than this, in fact it's so cheap it's almost free!

It's a nationally regulated sport, (NASA) the British Nationals are held in Wales every September (I think) but rumour has it that this year will be at ROCKINGHAM!!

So, what's it take?

Purchase No. 1 - get a reasonably sound MOT failure Mini.

Purchase 2 & 3 (The most expensive items) will be Helmet and belts, Oh, and a race seat if you're at all worried about your back! (Any aftermarket road-spec 'competition' seat will do: Cobra SFY, Corbeau highback, etc.) The only other purchase, (and some make their own) is a rudimentary cage.

(And lets face it - you're gonna have to buy a lid, set of belts, cage and trailer for whatever you race.)

The rest is easy: there is nothing else to buy!! Strip it 'til it's regulation friendly (No glass, interior trim, chrome, etc)
No modifications AT ALL are permitted, (keeps a lid on prices) and the grids are FULL, so they must be doing something right!

Using second-hand safety items, there are guys out there that are racing every other Sunday for an entry fee of £3.00 (guaranteed four races) in cars that can be as cheap as £250.00 all in!

Now that is c h e a p!

If anyone is interested in regs, I can point you in the right direction.
Old 9 Jan 2001, 23:11 (Ref:57720)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sparky- you win!

As far as circuit racing here in Oz, I'd guess that the local Gemini class is the cheapest, where you can get cars at about A$2500 (ok they aren't the best) which is about 1000 pounds. The best car you could possibly ever buy would be about $5000, and that usually comes with a wad of spares (including shells).
Old 10 Jan 2001, 01:20 (Ref:57757)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Hey Sparky ..im interested in this autograss caper..just want to find out what it is all about..is there a website I can have a gander at..250 pounds sounds bloody appealing to me..thats probably about 3 grand less than ive spent on my kart...so sadly thats not the cheapest form of racing around...I want Autograss in OZ !!!!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 01:31 (Ref:57761)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Marcus, there must be something similar in OZ? Surely??
Old 10 Jan 2001, 01:37 (Ref:57762)   #10
Sparky
Veteran

Try this site!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 01:54 (Ref:57764)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

...And this one!

(Unofficial, but informative and very funny! )
Old 10 Jan 2001, 05:11 (Ref:57785)   #12
PBrock
Rookie

PBrock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree.
There is nothing that cheap here in oz. Someone should do something about it and create state championships and then the best in the state can go on to the national championships.
As with marcus i have spend quite a lot of money on my kart as well so i want Autograss in oz too!!!!!!!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 14:27 (Ref:57843)   #13
Sodemo2
Racer

well is there anything that cheap, but race around real race circuits eg Brands hatch, Silverstone etc.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 15:17 (Ref:57844)   #14
Sparky
Veteran

REAL race circuits :confused:

What, as apposed to pretend ones?

I don't think that you've considered this idea properly.
An example: Chris Y, a Ten-Tenths member, has recently taken his ARDS course. This course is to get you the necessary National Class 'B' licence to race on UK circuits. I think the course required some instruction, but I'm not sure. It certainly involves an expensive medical examination.

Once Chris had earnt his licence, he paid for a drive with a professional Mini Seven race team. I think the day, which consisted of practice, qualifying and racing, cost him over £900.00

That is before you've even looked at a car, RACMSA-approved racewear, safety equipment and the like.
Scrutineers at MSA events tend to be a little more strict in my experience, so the standard of car preparation is required to be that much higher. Entry fees are considerably higher (Like £150.00-ish), and you are unlikely to be competitive in any car described as 'cheap'.

If your only requirement is to drive 'round a 'REAL' UK race circuit, I suggest you pay for a trackday or take some instruction at one of the circuit driving schools.

You asked about cheap racing, and it realy doesn't get any more so than Autograss racing.
If you want National circuit racing, I'm afraid it will be anything but cheap.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 18:09 (Ref:57866)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or start off sprinting - as like me... Can't afford to do pucka races yet, but the MGCC sprint series this year visits Combe, Silverstone, Lydden and Goodwood. Plus visits hillclimbs such as Gurston Down... and you can use your (almost) bog standard road car..

Otherwise it's the Metros!!! but entry fees alone will be £125 each time.. etc etc.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 18:35 (Ref:57873)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Think this thread would do better in the 'Other Classes' forum.
Old 10 Jan 2001, 20:16 (Ref:57894)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely stuff like autotest and Production Car Trials are the cheapest or even Run Wot Ya Brung drag racing.
Class 1 autograss is indeed cheap, I have done season on about 500 including car purchase but be warned there (aren't there always) people spending five grand plus on standard 100cc Mini's.
The racing is brilliant though and beacuse the cars are so even the driver and set up make all the difference.
Some of the bigger classes are mental.
The bike engine revolution sweeping the world at the moment is a direct result of bike engines being widely used in autograss. Some classes are dominated by the little screamers, sometimes two up either side by side or piggybacked on top of each other.
Most mental car award goes to the bloke who installed 2 Vauxhall 16v motors side by side in the back of a 205, horsepower potnetial is about 600bhp, think about it!
Old 10 Jan 2001, 20:39 (Ref:57902)   #18
Sparky
Veteran

Which club are you with, Chunder?

I 'mechanic' for a guy running a 1380cc Mini in class 5 at Concord Autograss in Chelmsford.

We can't compete with mid-engined Novas (class 5 - up to 1420cc front or rear wheel drive!) but we are regularly the fastest mini-powered Mini.

I agree to a degree about what you're saying: there will always be someone ready to try and win with their wallet, but I defy anyone to spend a fortune in class 1. All you can do is have all new parts, correctly set-up as you say. Cheat and it will be obvious! If it isn't obvious, why bother!!

We have a guy running a pair of Kawasaki engines in the back of a Citroen AX. A mental motor! He didn't have linked output shafts (he does now!) and season before last, suffered a misfire on the 'inner' engine, and nearly took out the start marshall post!

Overall though, Autograss modified classes are just about the last chance for an ingenious engineer to shine.

And the best bit, you can race on beer money.
Old 11 Jan 2001, 09:51 (Ref:57979)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my experience, the cheapest way to race a saloon type car on paved circuits, not grass, is to look for any class that is restricted to small, low capacity, nearly standard cars about 10-20 years old. It can't get any cheaper and still meet your criteria.
Old 12 Jan 2001, 15:08 (Ref:58152)   #20
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like 2CVs win hands down - dirt cheap - friendly competitors - and above all great racing - they may not be the fastest but where else can you get four-abreast into, through and out of corners?