Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Apr 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2856880)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
You might be right about that. By TV complications, do you mean who has control of the TV rights for the ILMC/ALMS races? Now that you mention it, I think I heard that being a factor a few months ago. Maybe I am just imagining that though. Unfortunately, all that means is that maybe both Sebring and Petit may be in peril next year if a deal isn't struck.
The ACO takes control of TV rights for all ILMC events, given PLM was eventually included I would assume the ACO/ALMS struck a deal.

The confusion I was alluding too was the ACO insisting one broadcaster shows all ILMC events hence Motors TV couldn't show it yet Eurosport didn't have free airtime.

I would hope by next year either a compromise is reached to split rights amongst broadcasters or Eurosport have firm plans like they do for Le Mans, WTCC and IRC.

Bottom line money talks and the ILMC will have some weight behind it.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2856900)   #27
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I think it is safe to say that Europe will see a reduction in events in 2012.

I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 in Europe (including LM), 2 in North America, 2 in Asia (China) and 1 in South America.

The obvious questions are whether PLM is maintained, whether South America happens at all.... If no South America, I can see 3 Europe, 2 North America, 2 Asia.

Alternatively, it is 3 Europe, 1 North America, 1 South America, 2 Asia.

The problem with weakening, or killing ALMS (I think LMS will be fine as a privateer series), is you end up with no support cars for these races. How interesting is this years Sebring, if you remove the ALMS cars from the grid?
Old 1 Apr 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2856985)   #28
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
If ACO are going to make a real World Cup then they need more races in Asia and less in Europe. So it'll be better for LMS if ACO keep geographic balance for Cup.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
3 Europe, 2 North America, 2 Asia
That's what I would shoot if I were the ACO. It's a great balance and very realistic. As a South American I would love it, but I don't see a desire of big companies or goverments in doing a long term project. The other Asian race should be in Japan. The other two European races could rotate between Spa, Silverstone and Italy (Spa is close enough to Germany).

Quote:
I think it is safe to say that Europe will see a reduction in events in 2012.
Not me. There will be four races in Europe this year, so there doesn't seem to be a high repulsion for a dominant European calendar.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2857256)   #29
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FIA GT had three events outside Europe in 1997 (Japan, 2x US), as did ALMS with NA in 2000 (UK, Germany & Australia). Yet these series weren't even dreaming of world championship status back then. I know that technically you'd only need three continents to actually receive the WC status from FIA -plus their blessing of course-, but I think ACO should make further effort of bringing the championship to SA or Australia - a final flyaway race to close the season.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2857362)   #30
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Hopefully as well as helping manufacturers sell cars we'll see more Chinese money coming into the sport as two rounds is a big show of faith.
Sorry, that's not possible, all Chinese money is tied up bailing out US debt!

DK
Old 2 Apr 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2857374)   #31
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Sorry, that's not possible, all Chinese money is tied up bailing out US debt!

DK
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 20 May 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2883318)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not seen this before.

Quote:
With the Wankel finally headed into the dustbin of history, the Grand Am GT program is in its last season, but Murphy hears Mazda North America likes McDreamy’s marketing value, so much so that it has contracted the development of an entirely new turbo 4 cylinder for the TV doctor’s step up to LMP2 in the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup in 2012.
http://murphythebear.com/blog/index....cts/#more-1089
Old 20 May 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2883324)   #33
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but it makes sense for Mazda to contest LMP2. Might this be a legitimate MZR stock based engine? Does it make much sense to use a turbo 4 in LMP2 given the current rules?
Old 21 May 2011, 04:34 (Ref:2883365)   #34
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Mazda doesn't seem to always do what makes the most sense, rather they tend to do what costs the least cents.
Old 21 May 2011, 04:53 (Ref:2883366)   #35
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mazda doesn't seem to always do what makes the most sense, rather they tend to do what costs the least cents.
I doubt they'd be racing if they had that mentality...
Old 21 May 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2883519)   #36
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but it makes sense for Mazda to contest LMP2. Might this be a legitimate MZR stock based engine? Does it make much sense to use a turbo 4 in LMP2 given the current rules?
Could be this.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/mazd...da2-48117.html
Old 21 May 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2883521)   #37
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see another why Mazda is leaving Grand Am though, in a couple of years that car will pretty much become uncompetitive with the arrival of the Ferrari Italia, Mercedes SLS AMG GT3, Lotus, and possibly the R8 LMS GT3 cars.
Old 21 May 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2883523)   #38
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
I doubt they'd be racing if they had that mentality...
Evidence suggests otherwise.
Old 21 May 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2883549)   #39
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Just like AMR, they don't don't have the FoMoCo money/resources to help them.

AMR's VH chassis, which underpins most of their cars, was developed by Ford as was the Astons' V8 and V12s, the latter being basically 2 Mondeo V6's mated back to back.

The MZR engine was a joint project between Ford and Mazda.

All of that happened when Ford was sole owner of Aston Martin and Ford had controlling ownership of Mazda--Ford now owns 10-12% and about 20% respectivly of those companies, and though Ford probably had little to do with their race programs, FoMoCo's resources on the production car side gave a help to those programs. It may be coincidence, but AMR scaling back their DBR9 program to LM only in '07 and '08 and Mazda's downturn in the ALMS happened to conviently coincide with Ford giving up control of those companies.

Or it could be as alleged--trying to do as much as you can while spending a little as you can, which against big factories, doesn't seem to work out well from past examples.
Old 21 May 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2883642)   #40
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could be this.
I did not realize that the MZR was being discontinued for the SKYACTIV series. I suppose an LMP2 engine could be a good way to advertise their new engine series, although I do wonder if a turbo 4 is the best way to race in LMP2.
Old 21 May 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2883650)   #41
JAG
Veteran

England
I only noticed it because it's mentioned by Mazda when talking about the 787B restoration, which will be demo'd at Le Mans.
Old 21 May 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2883657)   #42
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think this is great news , and bound to eventually spinoff into either the LMS or ALMS .

Any word as to who might run this opperation ..... perhaps Dyson ?
Old 21 May 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2883658)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I only noticed it because it's mentioned by Mazda when talking about the 787B restoration, which will be demo'd at Le Mans.
Then I hope they put on a decent domo with Mr.Herbert ..... who at least knows how it should be pedelled .
Old 21 May 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2883660)   #44
The Badger
Veteran

Oh dear !!!
Old 22 May 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2883710)   #45
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I think this is great news , and bound to eventually spinoff into either the LMS or ALMS .

Any word as to who might run this opperation ..... perhaps Dyson ?
This isn't news yet. It's just a rumor.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2890703)   #46
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I wonder if the news that Dempsey is driving the 787B at Le Mans adds any fuel to the speculation that Mazda is forming an LMP2 program with Dempsey. Perhaps it is part of the announcement? Or just a coincidence?

BTW, this thread feels outdated now!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2890709)   #47
The Badger
Veteran

Dempsey is driving it ..... Whoever thought that one up needs a frontal labotomy !!!

Shaking head in amazment !!!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2890729)   #48
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
He's Mazda's PR tool in the US, what do you expect?

He didn't seem to be the safest of drivers in even in a GT car so I´m kind of surprised they´re trusting him to drive this gem.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 19:15 (Ref:2890731)   #49
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Dempsey is driving it ..... Whoever thought that one up needs a frontal labotomy !!!

Shaking head in amazment !!!
I agree, if you want to celebrate your achievement it would be much more special if a driver of the winning car made the laps.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2890733)   #50
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I agree, if you want to celebrate your achievement it would be much more special if a driver of the winning car made the laps.
Herbert is also taking the wheel.

EDIT: I REALLY hope Patrick does not bin the car! I would be a nervous spectator watching the exhibition when Dempsey is in the car.