Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3530328)   #1
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2016 Driver Silly Season & Beyond

I know its an early start for this but the Mercedes Hamilton negociations seam to be dragging on a bit. From what I have read and heard there must be some sticking point and Mercedes seem to want to get it all signed, sealed and delivered.

However just as pure speculation on my part, if Hamilton were to move on to say Ferrari that would create an opening at Mercedes. Who would move into a plumb seat, there could be a long list. However if I were a Red Bull driver I would be looking at my options with all this talk of RB pulling out.

I am sure Alonso would also be interested unless the McLaren Honda is starting to show real potential by seasons end. I wonder what sort of buy out clauses he has.

The list of possibles for a Mercedes seat would include:
Alonso, Kimi and Ricciardo
with next on the list as outsiders could be
Bottas, Hulkenberg and Grosjean.

As I see it for next year Hamilton holds all the ace's
Old 23 Apr 2015, 21:49 (Ref:3530332)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just after I submitted this thread I realised I made a complete #?!#* of the title. It should have read

2016 Driver silly season & beyond.

I would be very greatful if a Mod could change it.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 10:22 (Ref:3530431)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You might hope that Mercedes doesnt let Mr Hamilton go.. he is the one leading from the front, and its not like the other fella in the same car is playing tail gunner and finishing second every time...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Apr 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3530563)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You might hope that Mercedes doesnt let Mr Hamilton go.. he is the one leading from the front, and its not like the other fella in the same car is playing tail gunner and finishing second every time...
I think that Mercedes want to keep Hamilton but Hamilton seems to be in no rush to sign as if he wants to keep his options open for longer.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3530581)   #5
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Hamilton leaving Merc - they both need each other, and it's not like Lewis is being troubled too much by the man in the other car.

The Ferrari seat might be interesting. If not Kimi maybe Bottas, Hulk or Grosjean?

And I wonder if Super Max might even get a promotion to the senior team if Kvyat continues to disappoint
Old 24 Apr 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3530596)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The list of possibles for a Mercedes seat would include:
Alonso, Kimi and Ricciardo
with next on the list as outsiders could be
Bottas, Hulkenberg,Grosjean and Bender.....
Old 2 May 2015, 07:32 (Ref:3532827)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The teams know that they don't have to be held to ransom by drivers anymore because they are easier to drive.

If Mercedes believe they can get a cheaper driver in that will get the job done (I suspect they know of a few) there word be no need to pander to the fragile ego of their 'no1' driver.

I can see 1 or both Mercedes seats changing unless their drivers get real.

One Ferrari seat will be open.

Possibly a Red Bull unless Kyvat can get closer to Ricciardo.

Williams changes depend on the Bottas stories.

All the other drives depend on money.
Old 2 May 2015, 08:48 (Ref:3532846)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Kimi retiring after this season? That was announced nearly a year ago...
Old 2 May 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3532963)   #9
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
What happened to Kimi retiring after this season? That was announced nearly a year ago...
He just said he was ending his career at Ferrari didn't he? At the time it sounded like a retirement as he wasn't doing very well, I wouldn't bet against a contract extension for next year though now.
Old 2 May 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3533066)   #10
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about the rumours of Alonso retiring? Every time he's jumped ship, it has proved a less-than-good move. It would hardly be surprising if he decided to make one last permanent move.
Old 2 May 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3533095)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
What about the rumours of Alonso retiring? Every time he's jumped ship, it has proved a less-than-good move. It would hardly be surprising if he decided to make one last permanent move.
Hasn't he been quoted as saying that he may end his career at McLaren (not that I believe everything he says...)
Old 4 May 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3533957)   #12
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
It depends on Alonso's hunger and his drive to win. Prost won his fourth championship 37 year old. Alonso, being 33 right now, should still have plenty of physical strength in him to continue fighting. It all depends on the motivation. However, I would hate to see Alonso become someone like a Damon Hill, Villeneuve, or Alesi in the later years of their careers.. all of those guys kept racing in F1 in an utterly uncompetitive cars as long as possible. So if McLaren-Honda remains an utterly noncompetitive car even in 2016 season and there is no obvious opportunity to move up, then I hope Alonso will move on to something else.
Old 4 May 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3534060)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Prost was actually 38
Old 5 May 2015, 09:40 (Ref:3534265)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
It depends on Alonso's hunger and his drive to win. Prost won his fourth championship 37 year old. Alonso, being 33 right now, should still have plenty of physical strength in him to continue fighting. It all depends on the motivation. However, I would hate to see Alonso become someone like a Damon Hill, Villeneuve, or Alesi in the later years of their careers.. all of those guys kept racing in F1 in an utterly uncompetitive cars as long as possible. So if McLaren-Honda remains an utterly noncompetitive car even in 2016 season and there is no obvious opportunity to move up, then I hope Alonso will move on to something else.
I really wouldn't worry about a driver like Alonso's motivation. It's actually that aspect that might have harmed him a little if anything - over eager and ruffles feathers!

He will continue to be a top driver capable of delivering performance until he stops driving.
Old 6 May 2015, 06:54 (Ref:3534618)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... who will end up at HaasF1 then?

Mr Button & Mr Rossi?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 May 2015, 11:18 (Ref:3534678)   #16
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the first cockpit an experienced driver like Vergne, Gutiérrez or Sutil

for the second cockpit perhaps an American driver like Rossi, Newgarden, Daly or another youngster like Marciello.
Old 6 May 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3534722)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Vergne is the best choice out of those three, with the other two being pretty uninspiring.

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 15:31 (Ref:3534778)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... who will end up at HaasF1 then?

Mr Button & Mr Rossi?
Perez and a US driver? That'd be a reasonable mix for marketing and Perez has got a few years under his belt.
Old 6 May 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3534779)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Perez sounds like a very good bet.

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 15:58 (Ref:3534786)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i see perez and rossi too.

a shame cause there's better than both out there, but perez knows his cars by now and rossi ticks the 'murican box.
Old 6 May 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3534794)   #21
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It's slightly uninspiring, but Perez still has talent and with a fire underneath him, can drive pretty well.

Maybe a change of scenery and being the definitive team leader might be what he needs.

Still, it's not this year's Sauber line-up level of uninspiring lol I joke

Selby
Old 6 May 2015, 17:16 (Ref:3534823)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasr's handy! I feel Perez is underrated by you lot, he kept JB honest and is about at Hulks' level, which is very high. He's also great on his tyres, a useful skill these days!

Why Perez would want to is the thing, it's not like he's NOT getting a FI drive or a drive at another good team. Rossi would be a good marketing move but there's the chance he'd become Yuji Ide. Daly likewise. Tveter, Menezes and Ferrucci wouldn't have enough license points or prep, whilst Pigot or an Indycar driver would be a good fit but again licenses and Pigot would need time to adapt, although he certainly has got 'it'.

Perhaps McLaren could fork out some cash and chuck one of their youngsters in. Vandoorne and Magnussen are both beyond the required standard...

Edit: SCOTT SPEED!!!
Old 6 May 2015, 17:32 (Ref:3534832)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how about lance stroll? he won't be far away in terms of racing experience, what with being ferrari's wealthy pet north american and all...
Old 7 May 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3535241)   #24
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
how about lance stroll? he won't be far away in terms of racing experience, what with being ferrari's wealthy pet north american and all...
There's a rule banning that now following Verstappen. Also his results in that series have been a little underwhelming so far. Perhaps in a few years.
Old 7 May 2015, 20:27 (Ref:3535246)   #25
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
In what way has he been underwhelming? One of the fastest rookies in one of the most talented junior single seater grids of recent decades! If not for bad luck then he'd look even better!

But yes, the FIA won't have him, and he won't be ready for F1 for at least another season.