Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Jul 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3557418)   #1
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FR3.5 Series: Round 5 - Red Bull Ring

This weekend the series is supporting the ELMS, so the schedule is slightly different than normal. The two qualifying sessions are both on Saturday with both races held on Sunday, which is a first for the series. There are no compulsory pitstops in either race.

Some musical chairs for this round too - Meindert van Buuren has left Lotus, with Marlon Stockinger replacing him. van Buuren has taken Philo Paz Armand's seat at Pons, who misses the round due to visa issues.

Tio Ellinas was fastest in the 50-minute Collective test today - Louis Delétraz was 20th on his debut for Comtec Racing.
Old 11 Jul 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3557492)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure that practice pace yesterday was a good gauge of speed. The bottom 4 were Vaxiviere, Latifi, Deletraz and Orudzhev respectively. DAMS were midpack (although weren't fantastic last time out). I'm waiting for qualifying before I decide whether this statement is true or false though
Old 12 Jul 2015, 09:24 (Ref:3557750)   #3
olev
Rookie

Estonia
olev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

What a stupid crash after the checkered flag in Race 1! Unless it was due to technical problems, drivers know very well they cannot slow down like that right after finishing the race. Crazy
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3557774)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting to see the Denis Deletraz name continue on track. Hadn't heard much of JDD for some years.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3557796)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olev View Post
What a stupid crash after the checkered flag in Race 1! Unless it was due to technical problems, drivers know very well they cannot slow down like that right after finishing the race. Crazy
True, but Latifi wasn't exactly demonstrating tremendous awareness of what was in front of him. That said 80% Merhi's fault at least. Wonder if he was just having a grump because of his penalty.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3557799)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really? latifi was racing someone in very close proximity across the line, and should have expected to find a very slow moving car about 100m ahead immediately after the flag?
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:52 (Ref:3557805)   #7
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
really? latifi was racing someone in very close proximity across the line, and should have expected to find a very slow moving car about 100m ahead immediately after the flag?
He should always be aware of what's in front, but Merhi did do something daft and dangerous. As I said the slower car is mainly at fault, but I think Latifi could have done better too.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3557808)   #8
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olev View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GL4n12yNI
Old 12 Jul 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3557811)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
He should always be aware of what's in front, but Merhi did do something daft and dangerous. As I said the slower car is mainly at fault, but I think Latifi could have done better too.
given the physical distance and closing speeds involved at that point, i'll have to respectfully disagree with you. he did as much as he could without hitting someone else/spinning it/losing track position before the flag.

anyway, according to the wsr twitter merhi has been kicked out of race 1.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3557815)   #10
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
given the physical distance and closing speeds involved at that point, i'll have to respectfully disagree with you. he did as much as he could without hitting someone else/spinning it/losing track position before the flag.

anyway, according to the wsr twitter merhi has been kicked out of race 1.
No problem with Merhi being tossed at all. What he did was dangerous.

However....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
, i'll have to respectfully disagree with you.
I don't think I've ever read that phrase in a forum before so fair play to you
Old 12 Jul 2015, 12:52 (Ref:3557833)   #11
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Merhi excluded from race 2 as well.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 13:27 (Ref:3557836)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i'm sure he's a good lad, but this from autosport is particularly damning:
Quote:
Rival teams were critical of Merhi's actions in the opening race, citing that drivers had been warned in the briefing not to slow too much after the finish, but to wait until Turn 1.
wally.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3557838)   #13
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto Merhi ‏@robertomerhi 15m15 minutes ago Unfortunate accident.Glad nobody was hurt. I Went to the right cause suspension problem after turn1 touch to get out. Sanction inexplainable
Old 12 Jul 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3557842)   #14
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a ridiculous acciedent and there can be zero defending of Merhi. Bloody ridiculous driving. Idiot.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3557859)   #15
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Dillmann, Roberto was doing a burn on his grid slot for race 2.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3557864)   #16
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
According to Dillmann, Roberto was doing a burn on his grid slot for race 2.
That would make sense given where he was slowing. The guy behind clearly wasn't looking but to slow down there to such a degree was utterly mad
Old 12 Jul 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3557867)   #17
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Merhis excuse is even worse. If its so bad he has to get out the car as soon as the race is over then why didnt he retire the car? He knows he made a huge error.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3557885)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
a moments thought for the lads at arden who rebuilt latifi's car only for him to get tangled up with stoneman on lap 2...
Old 12 Jul 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3557894)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Merhi did something unnecessary but how Latifi seemingly fails to notice a very slow car in front of him until too late is beyond me. I know he shouldn't have to be expecting that but it's still poor from both parts Imo.

Reminds me of Brit F3 in Spa in 2013. Mardenborough did what Latifi did and ran into the back of Giovinazzi, who slowed to celebrate. Jann couldn't see in the spray, but was still penalised, and rightly so.

I know people on here seem very content that Merhi has been penalised but personally I feel that a) it's an excessive penalty and b) why couldn't Latifi actually do anything? If there's another car next to you, back off and slot behind. And he'd know if there's someone close behind because he has been racing for position for the last few minutes!

Just my thoughts. Last time I checked if the driver in front slows, for whatever reason, the last thing the car behind should do if continue to barrel along at racing speeds and not make any attempt to avoid an inevitable incident.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3557919)   #20
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Well Merhi did something unnecessary but how Latifi seemingly fails to notice a very slow car in front of him until too late is beyond me. I know he shouldn't have to be expecting that but it's still poor from both parts Imo.

Reminds me of Brit F3 in Spa in 2013. Mardenborough did what Latifi did and ran into the back of Giovinazzi, who slowed to celebrate. Jann couldn't see in the spray, but was still penalised, and rightly so.

I know people on here seem very content that Merhi has been penalised but personally I feel that a) it's an excessive penalty and b) why couldn't Latifi actually do anything? If there's another car next to you, back off and slot behind. And he'd know if there's someone close behind because he has been racing for position for the last few minutes!

Just my thoughts. Last time I checked if the driver in front slows, for whatever reason, the last thing the car behind should do if continue to barrel along at racing speeds and not make any attempt to avoid an inevitable incident.

You have to remember that Latifi was side by side with Dillmann racing to the finish line.

Merhi was maybe 60 meters at maximum in front of both of them.

According to Dillman you are already at 230 km/h at the finish line.

With the brakes and speed of 3.5 i struggle to see how in time Nicholas could've avoided the contact.

In fact Nicholas did it so much the brakes that he did half spin before hitting Roberto.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3557963)   #21
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
You have to remember that Latifi was side by side with Dillmann racing to the finish line.

Merhi was maybe 60 meters at maximum in front of both of them.

According to Dillman you are already at 230 km/h at the finish line.

With the brakes and speed of 3.5 i struggle to see how in time Nicholas could've avoided the contact.

In fact Nicholas did it so much the brakes that he did half spin before hitting Roberto.
Did you read what I wrote???

Basically, I am trying to say that what Merhi did was unacceptable, and the fact Latifi did nothing to avert the potential disaster until too late was ridiculous.
Old 12 Jul 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3557966)   #22
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
With all the madness of the race 1 accident let me just say what a move by Tio Ellinas on Bruno Bonifacio in race 2. Technically you can say that Ellinas was off the track but im amazed he made it stick as he was more than 3/4 on the grass!
Old 12 Jul 2015, 21:58 (Ref:3558002)   #23
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tio is pure class
Old 12 Jul 2015, 23:55 (Ref:3558028)   #24
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy Nissany on the podium?
Old 13 Jul 2015, 15:59 (Ref:3558234)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Roy Nissany on the podium?
I know! And he wasn't troubled either!

Looks like a 2 horse race now, really. Jafaar's season has unravelled in just 4 races but I didn't think he would be able to keep it up anyway.

The only other guy I feel was eventually going to challenge those 2 for the championship, Dean Stoneman, did a great job in the first race and made a blinding start in the second before that collision with Latifi. Did anyone get a penal for that one because it was going to be investigated after the race finished?