Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 May 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2686271)   #1
lags
Rookie

lags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Researching Alan Eccles -race driver

This is a "kind of" different request for information ..... :-

I am attempting to research the history of a 1958/59 XK 150 [registered AE 34] that I own ..........

I have now discovered that the first owner was one Alan Eccles, who owned Hilltop Garage in West Bromwich - and the original supplying dealer was Ashmores of West Brom.. This information has come from talking to a Bob Eccles [no relation but also a West Brom. race driver of the 1960's].

Many here, I guess, will know much more than me:- but Alan Eccles was, it seems, the fairly well-known race driver and team owner who was active between the 1950's and 1970's [ish]. I believe he ran Coopers, Lotus, Cooper-Chevrolet etc etc. Later, Gerry Ashmore drove his cars [of the same Ashmore that supplied this road car to him presumably]. It was suggested that the still-fitted towbar was to transport the Cooper 500 to meetings.

My request is whether anyone could point me in direction of any researcher or photograph-keeper that might have any information on Alan and his Jaguars?? Finding a paddock picture with my XK in the background would obviously, however unlikely, be a "Holy Grail" !!

many thanks in hopeful anticipation

Last edited by lags; 7 May 2010 at 21:35.
Old 10 May 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2687957)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, lags.

I've been unsuccessful in finding anything out; anyone out there who can help?
Old 11 May 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2688576)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ditto John.

The only Eccles I could think of who lived in the Wolverhampton area was Roger Eccles?

But we never let anyone down.

Come on folks!!
Old 11 May 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2688682)   #4
lags
Rookie

lags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ditto John.

The only Eccles I could think of who lived in the Wolverhampton area was Roger Eccles?

But we never let anyone down.

Come on folks!!
thanks for that ..

I think [not absolutely sure] that Roger Eccles was actually Alans son ??
Old 11 May 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2688698)   #5
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember an Eccles (possibly Alan ) at Silverstone at the first race meeting I attended driving a fearsome blue Cooper V8 that left tyre smoke lingering around the startline for at least two laps, and usually racing racing hammer and tongs with a similiarly fearsome Lotus V8 .If I remember correctly it was the August Bank Holiday meeting 1963 organised by the Nottingham Sports Car Club who are still organising sprints etc.
This may help.
Old 11 May 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2688708)   #6
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall Alan Eccles name as an entrant for Gerry Ashmore when he raced (very successfully) in Ireland at Dunboyne and Phoenix Park - period 1959/1963.

If it is possible to get sight of the programmes from that era it may help. Will ask a pal back home if he has access. I note that Gerry Ashmore is retired and living in France - see reference in driver section of oldracingcars.com. He may be the best source of information, if you can contact him.
Old 12 May 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2689184)   #7
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ted Walker at ferret foto is the man to talk to.