Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Dec 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3483068)   #1
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In car camcorders

I'm looking for a good quality camcorder to fit in my race car. Any recommendations? From watching incars on YouTube the best quality seems to come from those using GoPro equipment but which is the best one to use. They look to range from around £100 to £300.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3483100)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of the current GoPro range, the Hero4 Silver is probably the one to choose. The black adds more features that most people won't need.

The £ 99 Hero is flawed because the case is the camera and GoPro cases will fracture under vibrations (depends on the race car). I'd use one of them as a rear view camera rather than a main camera.

I like the fact that the Silver version now has an LCD screen to review footage and to help frame the shot.

A hard wiring kit would be useful as well - to save forever swapping batteries about.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3483163)   #3
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I moved to a GoPro Hero3 Silver with rollcage mount this year and am pretty happy with the results. Only annoyance is that need to bring a tablet with the App so that i can make sure its pointing in the right direction.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3483189)   #4
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For gopros without a rear screen you can buy the LCD Touch bacpac which adds a touch screen to the back and gives you an easier way through the menus.

It saves having to turn on the power hungry wifi options.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3483254)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Depends if you want a fully waterproof one or not but you don't actually need an expensive one to record top quality, something like a Transcend DrivePro 200 is quite capable of producing the goods for not a lot of money plus it's easy to set up.
At least take a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVNYH136jI
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3486825)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This is unedited from the above dashcam yesterday, pity I didn't clean the screen !
Watch in HD and stop it so you can see details in signs etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcog...ature=youtu.be
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Dec 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3486875)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks great, Gordon and very clear when stopped. Congratulations on a fine piece of driving - correct positioning on road, correct distance from car in front. Were you going from bar to bar?

On the GoPros I understand only the most expensive version has a swing out screen. Does this camera have that?
Old 21 Dec 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3486886)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Looks great, Gordon and very clear when stopped. Congratulations on a fine piece of driving - correct positioning on road, correct distance from car in front. Were you going from bar to bar?

On the GoPros I understand only the most expensive version has a swing out screen. Does this camera have that?
No it doesn't but why would you need it ? as you can set it up in position and alter any settings.
I'm not saying it's as good as a GoPro but you can get just as good an HD vid out of it and I have seen them for 60 quid with a 2 year warranty, for that price you could buy 2 and keep a spare !
Heaven forbid I wouldn't even think of drinking and driving and as for my driving I had Mrs S beside me, that's why I didn't include the sound track