Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 4 Sep 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2534322)   #1
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which S/H pick up?

As my old Maverick has died I'm looking at getting a fresh vehicle. I have narrowed it down to a choice of three.

An '03 L200 Warrior with fsh & 34000 miles
A '56 L200 Trojan with fsh & 31000 miles
A '56 Navara with fsh & 25000 miles
All three are very similar in spec and condition.

It's going to be mainly a working vehicle with a bit of towing to do. So can anybody recommend one over the others. Also has anybody got any horror stories about L200's or Navara's
Old 5 Sep 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2535034)   #2
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[devilsadvocatemode]

Chevy Silverado Hybrid

[/devilsadvocatemode]

Otherwise, I'd go for the Navara.

I've worked on Navara's (emergency services), and a few Pathfinders, and I quite like them for a tonka truck. Cambs Police have quite a few of them, and replace them with more Navara's, so they can't be that bad! I do remember one getting written off for what I'd call not much more than a graze on an armco barrier - it twisted the chassis beyond jigging, which surprised me as it didn't look that bad.

The farrier that we use has a 57 plate Navara, which replaced a 56 plate which replaced a 04 plate one, and he seems to like them. This latest one is an auto, and he reckons it's the dogs....

I know two people who have/had L200's, one has had major engine issues (just out of warranty), the other wasn't that impressed with it, though he's never impressed by "works" vehicles.

Someone came up to see us to buy one of our horses, she had a L200, and it died big time before she got here (Bedfordshire from Kent), and required a new engine!

I'm sure there will be others that have had grief with Navara's and have praise for the L200.

That's why I'd go for the Silverado. 6.0L V8 mmmmmmm and it's hybrid to keep the tree huggers happy!

Last edited by R59; 5 Sep 2009 at 19:12. Reason: Spilling mistooks
Old 5 Sep 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2535042)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59 View Post
[devilsadvocatemode]

Chevy Silverado Hybrid

[/devilsadvocatemode]

That's why I'd go for the Silverado. 6.0L V8 mmmmmmm and it's hybrid to keep the tree huggers happy!
What type of hybrid technology does it use? I read somewhere that Ford were working on a greener from of hybrid truck that uses hydraulics to store energy rather than batteries.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2535599)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2003 L200 will have a huge turning circle compared to the others, they fixed that with the new model.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2535691)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've had a couple of customers with L200's that have both had new engines under warranty. One got so fed up with the problem they sold it with the new engine for way under the book price as they just wanted to see the back of it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Sep 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2536452)   #6
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the advice guys.
TBH I was leaning towards the Navara from the start, the above posts have helped make my mind up.
Mind you I'll know where to look if it blows up after the warranty runs out
Old 8 Sep 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2536531)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

I'm living in a cave in Spain !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Nov 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2576498)   #8
markjtaylor
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Nutfield SURREY
markjtaylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get yourself a Dodge Ram with a Hemi, You will be forever smiling, oh, also popping in to top up quite often.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 05:40 (Ref:2578668)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why stop at the Hemi? Go the V10!
Old 15 Nov 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2582181)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now I'm not saying Americans are experts in many things, but pick-ups... well, we know them pretty well. Out of what you have selected, only the Navara is sold here (as the Frontier) and is well respected. That's what my vote goes to unless you can buy a real pick-up like my F150 or a Silverado.