Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Nov 2007, 10:42 (Ref:2071573)   #1
OutCell
Rookie

OutCell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roll Cages

I am designing a Roll Cage (Using CAD+FE) and trying out new materials for testing/analysis. Commonly used materials i found are:
  • CDS Carbon Steel
  • ERW Mild Steel
  • DOM Mild Steel
  • Cr (Chrome Molybdenum) Steel
  • T-45
  • 1020 Grade Mild Steel CDW
Anybody knows any other suitable material i could use? It would be highly appreciated

OutCell
Old 20 Nov 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2071603)   #2
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does the Blue Book say your'e allowed ? - assuming it's to be MSA/FIA compliant ?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2071611)   #3
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
What does the Blue Book say your'e allowed ? - assuming it's to be MSA/FIA compliant ?
Hi Alan. There is no book. I am searching light weight and strong materials that would be suitable for roll cages (For any book let us say ).
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2071678)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Chrome Moly is meant to be the nuts isn't it?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2071681)   #5
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ERW is a definite no-no. The tube must be seamless and cold worked.

CDS is the minimum specification in the MSA Blue Book - BS EN 10305-1 CFS 3 BK is the spec. Minimum diameter and wall thicknesses are also specified in the Blue Book.

T-45 is permitted I believe but needs heat treating after welding as it becomes brittle around the welds. I believe the same goes for chrome moly but I believe that it is commonly used in the United States (not made in this country I don't believe).

I cannot comment on the other materials you mentioned.

(just re-read that - a lot of "believe" s in there!)

Last edited by phoenix; 20 Nov 2007 at 13:13.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2071783)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T45 is the way to go,are you going to get it Certificated you'rself?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:39 (Ref:2071849)   #7
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this if its any use
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2071914)   #8
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Chrome Moly is meant to be the nuts isn't it?
I would just try the material specs in FE analysis, as part of my testing

Thanks mate

Last edited by OutCell; 20 Nov 2007 at 19:04.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:59 (Ref:2071917)   #9
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
ERW is a definite no-no. The tube must be seamless and cold worked.

CDS is the minimum specification in the MSA Blue Book - BS EN 10305-1 CFS 3 BK is the spec. Minimum diameter and wall thicknesses are also specified in the Blue Book.

T-45 is permitted I believe but needs heat treating after welding as it becomes brittle around the welds. I believe the same goes for chrome moly but I believe that it is commonly used in the United States (not made in this country I don't believe).

I cannot comment on the other materials you mentioned.

(just re-read that - a lot of "believe" s in there!)
Yeah. I will be making an FE model for each material for analysis and testing.. Thanks for your reply
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:02 (Ref:2071921)   #10
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
T45 is the way to go,are you going to get it Certificated you'rself?
No. It is for a project i am doing. I will make a finite element model for each material and then analyzing it. And hopefully find some new material that can be used for roll cages

Thanks for the reply mate
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:03 (Ref:2071923)   #11
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker
Thanks mate Yeah i used this site to confirm some of the materials i saw around..
Old 24 Nov 2007, 07:02 (Ref:2074560)   #12
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try 4130 as the correct number for CrMo steel
There are also exotic materials, namely Manganese Molybedamn Steel alloys.
Try and search Reynolds (though I have one of those feelings that part of the business is sold now. This is the stuff that is the grade up from superior to T45 (all of it is aero)
Old 24 Nov 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2074597)   #13
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
Try 4130 as the correct number for CrMo steel
There are also exotic materials, namely Manganese Molybedamn Steel alloys.
Try and search Reynolds (though I have one of those feelings that part of the business is sold now. This is the stuff that is the grade up from superior to T45 (all of it is aero)
Thanks mate will do that
Old 5 Dec 2007, 14:35 (Ref:2082147)   #14
crofty
Rookie

crofty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it, high chrome-moly, especially T91 can be a pain to weld properly.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 17:19 (Ref:2082240)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this helps, this is some of what we in the states who run under the NASA banner must use:

NASA CCR wrote:
15.6.18 Roll Cage Tubing Sizes
For the purposes of determining roll bar tubing sizes, vehicle weight is as raced, but without fuel and driver. Note: There is an allowance of minus 0.010 inches on all tubing thicknesses.

Minimum tubing size for the roll cage is:
Up to 1500 lbs.
1.375” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)

1501 - 2200 lbs.
1.500” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.500” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages 04/30/03)
*Note- Specifications listed for reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.

2201 - 3000 lbs.
1.500” x 0.120” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.750” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.750” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages 04/30/03)
*Note- Specifications listed for reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.

3001 - 4000 lbs.
1.750” x .120” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
No ERW allowed.

Over 4000 lbs.
2.000” x 0.120” Chrome-moly/Seamless mild steel (DOM)
No ERW allowed.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 18:29 (Ref:2084460)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
T-45 is permitted I believe but needs heat treating after welding as it becomes brittle around the welds. )
what do they do when they weld a cage in the car with the stuff then ?

I'm looking at designing a cage for a monocoque GRP car soon . . . . anyone recommend any decent glue
Old 10 Dec 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2085778)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neutralize it with a large gas gun or bake the whole thing usually.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 17:16 (Ref:2085796)   #18
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read an interview once with Martin Short of Rollcentre fame and he said that T45 isn't a good option for roll cages - he said that once deformed it goes brittle so is likely to snap on a second impact unlike ordinary steel which is more [?] elastic.

[Insert usual caveat here about not being an engineer etc...]

Has always stuck in my mind - an honest comment from someone in a position to do well out of more expensive cages. That is, to the extent that I properly understood what he was saying in the first place.

I bought a lovely alloy cage about a year before they were banned...Thinking about it wasn't alloy banned for the same reason as T45 not being ideal as mentioned above?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 17:41 (Ref:2085831)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats a major problem with modern touring cars,big shunt and they are scrap because of using T45.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 22:00 (Ref:2086026)   #20
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the problem with T45 is that if it is truly to BS 4 T45 spec then it is supplied heat treated - hardened and tempered - as that is part of the BS specification. Welding will produce localised heating and therefore localised hardening, which requires tempering to get the area of the weld and it's surroundings back to the same condition as the rest of the tube work.

The main reason top teams use T45 is not for strength: the advantage is gained by using thinner tube, but meeting the the same strength requirements of 'lesser' carbon steel materials. This results in a weight saving.

The yield point and tensile strength of T45 is higher than that of carbon steel for the same cross sectional area. The reduction in wall thickness by the regs is down to the minimum yield and tensile strengths that a lesser steel would give.

However - and there is always a however!

I am very, very confident in stating that the torsional rigidity of steel is almost constant regardless of the alloy and directly proportional to the cross sectional area. Therefore, a cage made of THIN-WALL T45 with the same number of tubes and in the same position as a cage made from regular CDS will:

be lighter
have very similar tensile strength
have a very similar yield point
potentially be more brittle due to the hardening - particularly in the areas of welds.

Because the csa of the material is less, have LOWER torsional rigidity.

Because of this, more triangulation and gusseting will be needed to restore rigidity. I can only assume that all these extra bits add up to less weight than a regular, low carbon steel alloy cage but give the same or greater rigidity. Who knows, without extensive knowledge and ability to analyse the structures.

Maybe the guy who started this thread will be able to enlighten us all.

http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/05/069/00000300.pdf

http://www.e-pipe.co.kr/eng/BS/6323-5.htm

Last edited by phoenix; 10 Dec 2007 at 22:09.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 22:14 (Ref:2086035)   #21
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
also....

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Refer_Docs/...eg_Steels.html

BS EN 10305-1 is the one we are interested in mainly.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 00:51 (Ref:2086124)   #22
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Atko's crash in Japan looked very dodgy when the cage broke in number of places
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2092696)   #23
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If this helps, this is some of what we in the states who run under the NASA banner must use:

NASA CCR wrote:
15.6.18 Roll Cage Tubing Sizes
For the purposes of determining roll bar tubing sizes, vehicle weight is as raced, but without fuel and driver. Note: There is an allowance of minus 0.010 inches on all tubing thicknesses.

Minimum tubing size for the roll cage is:
Up to 1500 lbs.
1.375” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)

1501 - 2200 lbs.
1.500” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.500” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages 04/30/03)

2201 - 3000 lbs.
1.500” x 0.120” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.750” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.750” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages 04/30/03)

3001 - 4000 lbs.
1.750” x .120” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
No ERW allowed.

Over 4000 lbs.
2.000” x 0.120” Chrome-moly/Seamless mild steel (DOM)
No ERW allowed.
Awesome info. do you by any chance happen to know the specific naming of Chrome-moly/DOM/ERW materials so i can look up the specific properties to make an FEA and compare them?

Thanks again
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2092706)   #24
OutCell
Rookie

Quote:
I think the problem with T45 is that if it is truly to BS 4 T45 spec then it is supplied heat treated - hardened and tempered - as that is part of the BS specification. Welding will produce localised heating and therefore localised hardening, which requires tempering to get the area of the weld and it's surroundings back to the same condition as the rest of the tube work.

The main reason top teams use T45 is not for strength: the advantage is gained by using thinner tube, but meeting the the same strength requirements of 'lesser' carbon steel materials. This results in a weight saving.

The yield point and tensile strength of T45 is higher than that of carbon steel for the same cross sectional area. The reduction in wall thickness by the regs is down to the minimum yield and tensile strengths that a lesser steel would give.

However - and there is always a however!

I am very, very confident in stating that the torsional rigidity of steel is almost constant regardless of the alloy and directly proportional to the cross sectional area. Therefore, a cage made of THIN-WALL T45 with the same number of tubes and in the same position as a cage made from regular CDS will:

be lighter
have very similar tensile strength
have a very similar yield point
potentially be more brittle due to the hardening - particularly in the areas of welds.

Because the csa of the material is less, have LOWER torsional rigidity.

Because of this, more triangulation and gusseting will be needed to restore rigidity. I can only assume that all these extra bits add up to less weight than a regular, low carbon steel alloy cage but give the same or greater rigidity. Who knows, without extensive knowledge and ability to analyse the structures.
Yes, that is right to what i read so far. The weight is almost the same for all but the strength is what differs between them. So having a smaller tube for Chrome-moly (Making it lighter) would be the same strength of a heavier DOM cage (Bigger tube).

http://www.ioportracing.com/faq/rollbar.htm

Quote:
Maybe the guy who started this thread will be able to enlighten us all.

http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/05/069/00000300.pdf

http://www.e-pipe.co.kr/eng/BS/6323-5.htm
That is what i am exactly trying to do for my project. Analysing different used materials and comparing them with other materials such as titanium etc.
That's why i am looking for the exact naming of the specific materials used such as ERW, DOM, Chrome-moly etc

Thank you all for your replies and sorry for being late, i didn't get any reply notifications
Old 20 Dec 2007, 17:30 (Ref:2092832)   #25
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutCell
Awesome info. do you by any chance happen to know the specific naming of Chrome-moly/DOM/ERW materials so i can look up the specific properties to make an FEA and compare them?

Thanks again
ERW = Electrical Resistance Welded = is NOT allowed. So dont even look at it

DOM = Drawn Over Mandral