Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 9 Jul 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2247812)   #1
Eric.D
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
Eric.D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keen, Mike

Back in the 1950's I was quite a fan of Mike Keen a very talented British driver and a founder member of the 'Monkey Stable' sports car team. Mike was a familiar face at National race meetings and always went well in a variety of cars which included a single seater HRG, Cooper-Bristol sports and Formula 2 Cooper-Alta. He also appeared in a few 500cc formula three races with a Cooper-Norton. Internationally, he was successful at Le Mans with the Bristol team and navigated an Aston-Martin DB3 for Peter Collins in the 1953 Mille Miglia. Mike was always a very friendly and approachable chap and we had a long chat with him in the paddock after a 1955 Crystal Palace meeting. Sadly Mike lost his life while leading the 2 litre Class in the 1955 Goodwood 9 Hours. I have always remembered Mike Keen and have often wondered where he was born and where he was living. I wonder if there are other members who might remember him?.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2504935)   #2
Peter Morris
Rookie

Peter Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Keen Crash

Hi Eric. I just ran across your message re: Mike Keen. Here is some Mike Keen information for you. The car Mike crashed was built by my father Peter E Morris. My father also worked with Alan Brown (won the British Empire Trophy together in 1954) and Jack Brabham. After the accident the car was impounded and was inspected for any mechanical failures. The investigation concluded that the car was fine and that Mike had gone into the turn too fast. My father, who is 88 now lives in London Ontario Canada. He told me there were a lot of photos taken of the car and I would love to get one for him if you have ever found one on the web. Thanks. Peter (pmorris@sentex.net)