Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3146310)   #51
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just glad it's out in the open, and now the rest of the musical chairs can be worked through. For me, the dirty driving (and mostly getting away with it) didn't just tarnish his successes, it pretty much rusted them to pieces. Make no mistake, he had many moments of complete mastery, and he was clever enough or lucky enough to have a brilliant team around him that was dedicated to making him a success.

His second career was better, because there were fewer examples of bullying driving. However there were also fewer examples of fast driving (especially the first half when Nico Rosberg took him to pieces) and more examples of clumsy mistakes. It looked to me like someone who couldn't work out where the limit was anymore.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing Lewis at Mercedes, Perez at McLaren, Bottas at Williams, and all the other exciting things we can anticipate in 2013.
Old 4 Oct 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3146317)   #52
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
In my mind he is still one of (if not) the greatest there has ever been. I think that he will most certainly be remembered for his 'first' career rather than his second. I find it interesting that in his first career he was like the terminator, seemingly unbeatable thanks to a wave of confidence. Whereas his second career was just to enjoy the thrill of racing and a much more relaxed approach, yet he still got a pole at Monaco at 42 (Kind of anyway).

I would think it would be great if he could win his last GP before the end of the season, imagine that!
A clear indicator of how miserable his comeback is. People acknowledging the fact he was fastest in qualifying...once.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 00:15 (Ref:3146397)   #53
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'll miss TGF. He came back because he had a passion for driving F1 cars. That I respect.
Thank you Adam...
Old 5 Oct 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3146409)   #54
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
His comeback was worth a shot and seeing him ally with his old Merc team had a certain synergy. I'm a shade disappointed he didn't wind up at Sauber to complete the cycle. Whatever decision made now is the right decision. I hope we'll see him behind the wheel in some exciting new project. That would be nice but where? I dunno.

In ten years time history will be kind. Whether merited or not, the criticism surrounding his Merc stint will linger for now but for the future people will only see his Ferrari years and his early battles with Hill as his legacy. Personally, I admit to having complex views regarding Schumacher. I never disliked him outright but his relentless phase, fazed me a little bit. I only actually warmed to him when he joined Merc - as a return to the very top would've made a great comeback. Not to be alas.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3146412)   #55
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good post, we can, and I am sure we will discuss his career and his return to F1 for many months to come..

Now it's time for him to rest and let new stars shine..
Old 5 Oct 2012, 01:28 (Ref:3146426)   #56
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like he is at peace with his decision so good for him.

I was never a huge fan but he is the last tie to the era where I first got interested in motorsports, so I kinda feel a loss there.

Other than a few missteps on track, I think what can be appreciated about him was his work ethic, not just working hard, but working smart by learning all he could and forming bonds with the people he worked with.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 06:17 (Ref:3146442)   #57
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Guys, just let the old man rest...
its not like he's listening.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3146448)   #58
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i would argue that the struggling during his Merc career is the redemption.
Yeah, he seemed so much more personable and less intense perhaps, which might be the reason why a lot of people liked him a lot more in his second season.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3146516)   #59
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
MS latest

still trying - too hard? - Suzuka practice report:
'Michael Schumacher crashed out after losing control of his Mercedes at the Spoon curve, hitting a tyre barrier.'
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3146543)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
I'm holding out hope Audi can get him into their prototype. German manufacturer and the next best type of car to an F1. Or maybe Toyota will need another driver for their 2nd car next year...
Hell, I'm not. Let him have a plug in a GT car first. The fact that he is Michael Schumacher doesn't automatically make him an LMP1 star.....
Old 5 Oct 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3146546)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
its not like he's listening.

You never kinow.....

Wahahahahahah!
Old 5 Oct 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3146610)   #62
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The offer from Pirelli to test in 2013 is an interesting one. If ever there were a driver who enjoyed pounding round test tracks, his name is surely Schumacher.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3146667)   #63
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
The offer from Pirelli to test in 2013 is an interesting one. If ever there were a driver who enjoyed pounding round test tracks, his name is surely Schumacher.
For his own benefit, not for others

That said, he'd be a great asset to Pirelli !
Old 5 Oct 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3146690)   #64
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sort of sorry to see Schumi go. I was never a fan of his, but I can't deny that he was an amazing driver and one of the all-time greats. You could argue that he never really had a strong competitor(apart from maybe Häkkinen or later on Alonso) like in the Senna/Prost era, and it was a shame that we never saw a proper Senna/Schumi showdown for the title challenge, but his legacy remains untarnished(in terms of wins he achieved and titles).

Yes, Schumi did some bad things : taking out Damon in Adelaide, nearly taking out JV in Jerez, nearly taking out Mika in Spa and his little stunt at Monaco with Alonso. They do sort of seem to be what count against him sometimes.

However, I suppose we should not forget his technical mastery in an F1 car. Two of his best races were Spa 1995 and Spain 1996. Spa 1994 was a wet/dry race and Schumi managed to stay out on dry tyres long enough to hold Damon up and evidently take the race win. 16th to 1st was super impressive. Spain 1996, in his under performing Ferrari, he managed to climb up the field and take a win by a staggering 45 seconds in a wet race. A superb drive. Much better than those pitstop wins he sometimes had(and that I would say was probably more down to Ross Brawn than Schumi), namely Hungary 1998.

A shame that his return didn't go to plan. I was sort of expecting Schumi to do what Lauda did and manage a successful comeback. Maybe taking a win in one year and challenging for the WDC in the following year, but it wasn't to be.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3146698)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dear Mickey-the-Shoe. Byeee.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3146763)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think his coming out of retirement and joining Mercedes did his reputation any harm, he even seemed to be just that bit more relaxed. If he had carried on for one more season then I think it may have, so a good decision. All the best for the future Schumi, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this potential Pirelli venture.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3146803)   #67
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Jackie Stewart a bit scathing about MS, which frankly surprised me:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19834309
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3146807)   #68
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've always been a massive Schumacher fan; until a NZ driver gets to F1, he'll always be my favourite.

But while I was excited about his return, I never expected greatness. Even if Mercedes was the fastest car this year, Schumacher would be a little too inconsistent to take the title. And I'd hate to see his own team-mate, whoever that is, take the title over him.

But just 1 (quite lucky) podium in 3 years; I was expecting much better than that. Maybe a few race wins? But what's worse is some of the silly crashes and incidents he's had. He seems to have a lot more incidents - whether it just be spins in practise or contact during the race - than most other drivers in the field. Which suggests his reaction time and race craft really isn't what it used to be.

And that's to be expected with a guy in his 40s. Look at all the other legends of F1 who's careers dwindled out with mid-field teams (Fittipaldi!). There's not many that depart on top. So in years to come, MS will be remembered for his first career. His 3 year stint in the 4-6th fastest car will be forgotten.

On the other hand though, in the last 1.5 years he's proven to be just as quick as Rosberg. Just a shame he's had so much unreliability and lost so many points. That's why I'm eager to see how Hamilton-Rosberg stack up - it might go some way to telling us what a Hamilton-Schumacher duel would have been like (well, 43yo MS and a Hamilton in his prime).
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3146812)   #69
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Saying all he can to discredit Michael's return AND his statistical record. What a complete ******.

One thing I would NOT want to see at all, would be MS driving for Sauber. That'll hurt his reputation even more, when after 7 world championships the only team that will have you is Sauber...

I wouldn't want to see him doing other motorsports either. Just a bit of karting and IROC is all. We've seen all the other greats that go to sports cars and touring cars trundle around at the back of the field.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3146818)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would want to see him enjoying driving what he wants. Saubers or anything else.
Unlike Ayse I'd like to see him at Le Mans in a prototype, just to see. I'd probably sign him in my team. However, I wouldn't expect him to be the best of the best.
Not that he would, he's ruled out Le Mans before and didn't show much interest in other Motorsport before.

Something small, but isn't TGF doing ROC?
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3146821)   #71
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I would want to see him enjoying driving what he wants. Saubers or anything else.
Unlike Ayse I'd like to see him at Le Mans in a prototype, just to see. I'd probably sign him in my team. However, I wouldn't expect him to be the best of the best.
Not that he would, he's ruled out Le Mans before and didn't show much interest in other Motorsport before.

Something small, but isn't TGF doing ROC?
A Ferrari LMP1 effort with Villeneuve in the other car. Ohh, yes. Ohhh, yes.

Back to reality - I'll guess he'll take some plodding management role with Merc or the FIA.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3146839)   #72
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
A Ferrari LMP1 effort with Villeneuve in the other car. Ohh, yes. Ohhh, yes.
people wouldn't be able to deal with it.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 23:51 (Ref:3146874)   #73
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
There are times when Jackie Stewart completely loses the plot.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3146876)   #74
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Usual kind of utter ******** I've come to exact from JYS over the last couple of years. I respect the guy but he is seriously out of touch in the modern world of Formula One.

He reminds me of international rugby players from the 1970s that hark-on about the 'good old days' before the sport turned professional.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3146917)   #75
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You never kinow.....

Wahahahahahah!
"the soul that is sinning, it itself will die."

Dont you ever go to church?