Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Dec 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2999068)   #1
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona or Orlando

I am still thinking of doing the speedweeks at daytona, maybe not 2012, everywhere will be sold out! and choice of tickets will be limited.
so 2013, its only just over 12 months away,
so where is best to stay, orlando 1hr drive away or somewhere in daytona to avoid the massive traffic jams everyday.
plus what is there to do in daytona at nighttime when there is no racing on...
Old 13 Dec 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2999205)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Hello! According to this, the 2012 Speedweeks schedule is:

Friday, January 27: Conti Challenge race
Saturday 28-Sunday 29: 24 Hours race

Saturday, February 18: Arca race, Cup Shootout
Sunday, February 19: Cup qualifying

Thursday, February 23 - Cup Duels
Friday, February 24 - Truck race
Saturday, February 25 - Nationwide race
Sunday, February 26 - Cup race
Old 13 Dec 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2999240)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaddockrunner View Post
I am still thinking of doing the speedweeks at daytona, maybe not 2012, everywhere will be sold out! and choice of tickets will be limited.
so 2013, its only just over 12 months away,
so where is best to stay, orlando 1hr drive away or somewhere in daytona to avoid the massive traffic jams everyday.
I think it's best to just stay at Daytona, if your main purpose is going to the track. Orlando just adds 2 hours a day+ of driving.

I'm sure someone is probably more of an expert than me on it, I've only been there a few times to work at the track. But basically there is a strip of hotels and restaurants along the road the track is on and then if you drive a few miles through town to the beach there is a another bunch of hotels on the beach. I've always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which is right down the street from the track and it's right off I-95. It's an older Holiday Inn that was refurbished with a nice pool and I've never had a problem with it.

What is there to do at night? Well there is bars, strip clubs, restaurants, etc. Mostly after working all day, I just want a good meal and friendly service which is why I like:

Ker's Wing House: http://www.winghouse.com/
or
Hooters: www.hooters.com
Old 13 Dec 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2999427)   #4
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Mostly after working all day, I just want a good meal and friendly service which is why I like:

Hooters: www.hooters.com
for the good meal or the... err... friendly... err... service?
Old 13 Dec 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2999480)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Or the Crusin Cafe thats well into racing like a museum you even sit in mock up NASCARS. I went there 3 weeks ago and drove the circuit in a 64 Mustang HRA race car (awesome) I stayed at a hotel/motel type place on South Atlantic Avenue and it was about 6 or 7 easy miles from the circuit. I can recommend it as very clean and reasonably priced. Its called the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn.

First picture is Hooters with a very pretty young waitress

Second Cruisin Cafe

Third me in the Mustang about to take to the Daytona walls of Death!
Attached Thumbnails
hooters.jpg   crusin cafe.jpg   me in mustang.jpg  

Old 14 Dec 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2999496)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Business as Usual . . .

Send a P-M with your real e-mail address and I will reply with an extensive group of Daytona/Orlando `Motorsoprts Tourist" information.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2999517)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Was over there a couple of years ago for bike week. We stayed on the beach and there was PLENTY going on at night to just enjoy being part of.

It really is done well and is a fun experience there, no question. Can't comment on staying near the track as haven't done it but from the beach is a short run out to the track and you can get as into the night life or as away from it as you like.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2999518)   #8
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally I would stay in Daytona for sure, preferably whithin walking distance of the track. Saves a lot of headache. There's a local short track that put races on during the NASCAR weeks but I don't know how late in the evening they run. But they're on weekdays so that's a plus. And seriously, what does Orlando really have to offer? If you feel like a month in Daytona is a bit long, maybe you could pop down to Miami in between or something. And hey, there's the beach.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 04:11 (Ref:2999523)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Personally I would stay in Daytona for sure, preferably whithin walking distance of the track. Saves a lot of headache. There's a local short track that put races on during the NASCAR weeks but I don't know how late in the evening they run. But they're on weekdays so that's a plus. And seriously, what does Orlando really have to offer? If you feel like a month in Daytona is a bit long, maybe you could pop down to Miami in between or something. And hey, there's the beach.
Yep, make sure you get to either Volusia Speedway or New Smyrna Speedway, some of the best racing you will see all week, and lots of races during Speedweeks.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2999564)   #10
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone, so far that have sent a reply,
i have had a rough quote for a twin centre for 2013, one week in a disney! hotel, then 10 days on the beach at the Acapulco Hotel, no car hire (not sure if that is wise), need to look at the bus service in the area at greater length. but will wait nearer to 2012 event for date conformation for 2013.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2999849)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks to everyone, so far that have sent a reply,
i have had a rough quote for a twin centre for 2013, one week in a disney! hotel, then 10 days on the beach at the Acapulco Hotel, no car hire (not sure if that is wise), need to look at the bus service in the area at greater length. but will wait nearer to 2012 event for date conformation for 2013.
I'd say a rental car is probably going to make your life a lot easier and in Florida rental cars are pretty cheap. Just depends how far you plan to range out and what you want to do.

One word of caution in my own personal opinion is that Daytona Beach itself feels a bit sketchy and rough with some interesting characters hanging about. A lot of the hotels here cater to the Spring Break crowd and other types so the hotels are not kept up well due to constantly being trashed every year by drunken college students, so I would read reviews on tripadvisor.com or other review sites and choose well so you don't have a miserable stay.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 22:50 (Ref:2999966)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I flew into Daytona Airport a delightful experience in itself. I had booked some little Nissan Compact on line but the Car Hire man offered me an Explorer as an upgrade for $20 a day extra, I jokingly said if you had a Camaro to which he replied Sir it just so happens........... So I ended up with a nice burnt orange 5000 mile 5th Gen Camaro for just 20 extra bucks a day, only in America, yer gotta love it!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 Dec 2011 at 23:01.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 19:36 (Ref:3002390)   #13
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Florida is one giant hotel. I just did a quick search and found a few decent looking places in Ormond Beach for $180/night. Expensive, but it won't get much cheaper on race weekend.