Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Apr 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3727358)   #51
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I cannot say I know for sure why Sebring attendance was down this year--or if it really was (it sure seemed to be.) I think it might be because fans weren't too excited about seeing another Cadillac romp, and every indication was that that would be on the menu.
I'd be surprised if attendance was down at Sebring. I arrived on Wednesday to the largest Wednesday crowd I've seen in the 8 or so times I've been now. Our regular camping spot was already taken, years past there was no one even in the general area. Same went for race day, the viewing mounds were just as packed as ever.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3727362)   #52
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I'd be surprised if attendance was down at Sebring. I arrived on Wednesday to the largest Wednesday crowd I've seen in the 8 or so times I've been now. Our regular camping spot was already taken, years past there was no one even in the general area. Same went for race day, the viewing mounds were just as packed as ever.
Also, the camping on the outside of the Ullman looked busier than it has been in years. I'd say this was easily the biggest crowd in the new-IMSA era. And probably the biggest since 2008.

Chris
Old 17 Apr 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3727402)   #53
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well ... if you say so. I didn't get that same feeling. In any case .... I still think that guy who said "IMSA has a good series in its hands ... and could drop it and break it irreparably pretty easily. I am sort of thinking messing with some of the most iconic and best-attended races is not the idea they are looking for." knows what's up.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 00:28 (Ref:3727668)   #54
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autoweek had a nice little piece on the nearly 50 year history of imsa.

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/t...n=awdailydrive
Old 19 Apr 2017, 21:29 (Ref:3727861)   #55
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Autoweek had a nice little piece on the nearly 50 year history of imsa.

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/t...n=awdailydrive
For those interested in the above, I've got a couple more for ya's. Since it's inception I've been an avid IMSA fan, minimal participant, and fan again.

I like these two very much. Get comfy 'cause there's a bunch of good stuff here:

First: http://www.imsahistory.com/

and foremost (to me, anyway):

http://alex62.typepad.com/imsablog/a...ing/index.html

Last edited by jimclark; 19 Apr 2017 at 21:41.

jimclark
Old 24 Apr 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3728999)   #56
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do some people want to cut P. LeMans.? We should want more racing not less.
Old 24 Apr 2017, 22:18 (Ref:3729001)   #57
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Budget, since IMSA does more racing a year than the WEC does, as the WEC outside of LM is only 6 hour races, while most IMSA races are 3 hours, but they have the odd 6, 10, 12, and 24 hour races, plus more races by number/volume a season.

IMO, the only cut I'd make would be to PLM, but make it like it was back in the ALMS days of 10 hours or 1000 miles, which comes first.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 01:21 (Ref:3729028)   #58
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money i know is a problem, but PLM is considered a imported races. It shouldn't be screwed over.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 02:05 (Ref:3729030)   #59
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As I said, the only change I'd make to PLM is make it back to being a 1000 mile race. Another problem that IMSA has is that several circuits got left in the cold due to the ALMS/GA merger, namely Mid-Ohio. But that means that most likely someone's going to get the axe unless some of the race costs are subsidized by the series or sponsors.

There was a similar debate about adding Monza to the WEC to have all the low downforce tracks on the WEC schedule pre Le Mans, and have all the high downforce sprint races after.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3729031)   #60
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Budget, since IMSA does more racing a year than the WEC does, as the WEC outside of LM is only 6 hour races, while most IMSA races are 3 hours, but they have the odd 6, 10, 12, and 24 hour races, plus more races by number/volume a season.
That...depends. Track time and scheduled race weekends each give a different answer for which series does more racing.

As far as race time goes the WEC has more racing. IMSA just has three races that exceed 6 hours rather than just one, and three more scheduled race weekends.

Unless I made a huge error in adding it up, the scheduled amount of race time in IMSA for 2017 is 65 hours, 20 minutes. In WEC it's 72 hours.

The IMSA time is the total of all the races combined, but each class misses at least one race, so no class actually hits that total. (I didn't feel like doing the math for every individual class)

Last edited by FormulaFox; 25 Apr 2017 at 02:27.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 03:30 (Ref:3729037)   #61
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I realize that I don't write the checks, but the night racing aspect of PLM is compelling. There are few events that feature night racing in the US (Daytona, Sebring, Thunderhill) and seeing sportscars at night is a special thing. It would still be a good road race, but paring PLM back too much would deprive it of being an event.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3729040)   #62
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
A few years ago IMSA was 68h20m for P while WEC was 66 hours, by dropping Indy, extending Laguna Seca from 2h to 2h40m and shortening the 2h45m races to 2h40m it's now 66 hours while WEC added one race. But P is now the second lowest amount of race hours in the championship, PC misses Long Beach so it's at 64h20m, GTLM runs every race but Belle Isle for 69h40m and GTD runs every race for 71h20m. For the two street races practice time is extremely limited but I imagine if you added up total event session lengths IMSA comes out far higher than WEC.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3729052)   #63
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
IMO, the only cut I'd make would be to PLM, but make it like it was back in the ALMS days of 10 hours or 1000 miles, which comes first.
What would that accomplish? They were usually over 9 hours anyway, weren't they?

jimclark
Old 27 Apr 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3729503)   #64
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think i raised the point earlier that the only real way to "save money" at PLM would be to cut it entirely.

Same can be said of almost any race except Sebring and Daytona. Transport, lodging and food for the crew and the fuel for the hauler is the cost. once you are there two hours isn't much less expensive than four.

PLM ... season closer ... they do a complete teardown anyway, so the extra hours don't cost as much as they do at the start or middle of the season.

if they are going to cut races, I say make the rest four hours. However, I don;t know much about TV windows and such. I am pretty sure average race length is determined by what they can fit on TV, with a short interview of the winner.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3729573)   #65
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
The real cost is in distance of race track.

As someone based in SC, Canada and California races are crazy expensive. Long beach is almost as costly as Sebring.
Old 26 May 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3736234)   #66
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Since I can't find a dedicated DPI thread, Racer Magazine and Daily Sports Car are reporting the possibility of a Lamborghini badged DPI program in the offing.
Old 30 May 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3737358)   #67
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Since I can't find a dedicated DPI thread, Racer Magazine and Daily Sports Car are reporting the possibility of a Lamborghini badged DPI program in the offing.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146664 maybe??
Old 7 Jun 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3739325)   #68
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
If a Watkins Glen 6 hour is to remain a viable NAEC race then maybe IMSA should move it until later in the summer. To distance it from Le Mans. Perhaps swap it with the Road America date.

If you don't do that, then make it a 4 hour race and not a NAEC round anymore. I've brought up the idea before that cutting both Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta by 2 hours is ok in my mind to cut costs.
Old 7 Jun 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3739335)   #69
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
If a Watkins Glen 6 hour is to remain a viable NAEC race then maybe IMSA should move it until later in the summer. To distance it from Le Mans. Perhaps swap it with the Road America date.

If you don't do that, then make it a 4 hour race and not a NAEC round anymore. I've brought up the idea before that cutting both Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta by 2 hours is ok in my mind to cut costs.
The timing of the Watkins round does make it a tough sell for European teams who may wish to do the naec. I think a 3 round naec championship would still work if WG was dropped.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3739678)   #70
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

The actual race time of those events is a TINY contribution to the cost, especially for Petit since it's end of season and they'll be tearing things down after anyway. It's the travel and days at the track that brings the big costs, time on track is cheap since they are already there. Look at Petit garages on a Tues/Wed to see how not showing up saves money, if they aren't testing teams don't show until Wed evening since there is no on track WSC action until Thurs morning now.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3739680)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's an historic appeal of 6 hours at the Glen. Agreed, nothing or very little should interfere with LM, but I like the 6 hour distance for this race.

Road America and PLM should go back to distance races, 500 and 1000 miles, respectively but TV is influencing race distances these days and a timed events work better for them.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3739690)   #72
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Racing Team Nederland looking at Florida 36H next year with their Dallara P2: https://translate.google.com/transla...en&prev=search

(Apologies for the somewhat poor translation at times.)
Old 9 Jun 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3739712)   #73
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Moving the Watkins Glen race wouldn't change much. In late July it's the 24 Hours of Spa.

I insist that Petit Le Mans should be split into a 6-hour DPi / P3 race and a 6-hour GT race.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3739731)   #74
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I insist that Petit Le Mans should be split into a 6-hour DPi / P3 race and a 6-hour GT race.
And I'll insist that PLM stay grouped like a proper multi-class endurance race, with it being 10 hr or 1,000 mile race.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3739734)   #75
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And I'll insist that PLM stay grouped like a proper multi-class endurance race, with it being 10 hr or 1,000 mile race.
A prototype only race would, however, not be a bad idea... GT gets a couple of stand alones, so it would be only fair. Also having the P3s in the big show for one or two races would be a nice boon for them. Only downside might be the need for refuelling equipment.