Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Mar 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3809900)   #26
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Who says it is legally murky, Supercars? There are many brands of cars running in other series and no one seems legally challenged so why is permission required?
It is simple risk mitigation, I said it is unlikely but it is not impossible.

If you are taking a production car and modifying it and racing, then probably nothing they can do, but if you build a bespoke clone of a road car for racing, then I'd suggest it is safer to get permission.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3809923)   #27
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
It's not BoP, it's BoT (balance of technicality)
It POR Power of Roland
Old 22 Mar 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3809973)   #28
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
This is legally murky, a car manufacturer could stop it if they wanted to, either by express banning the use of the brand, or by copyright/patent methods.

It would be a bit unusual but it is legally possible, and someone could spend a lot of money to end up not being able to race it.

What if someone builds a Ford and it sucks, and runs around the back of the grid?
Yes, the lawyers are very busy handing out subpoenas in the Sports Sedan paddocks across the country
Old 22 Mar 2018, 20:32 (Ref:3809974)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Well Supercars better pay for the homologation of the Mondeo themselves. If they are too cheap to do so, a Commodore one make series will be their product...
Hopefully something will happen

No engine upgrade required which will make it easier
Old 22 Mar 2018, 23:35 (Ref:3809999)   #30
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Yes, the lawyers are very busy handing out subpoenas in the Sports Sedan paddocks across the country
Sports Sedans is not a premier category promoting the brands like Supercars, nor could they be seen to be PROFITING from the brands.
Old 22 Mar 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3810001)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Sports Sedans is not a premier category promoting the brands like Supercars, nor could they be seen to be PROFITING from the brands.
MARC are though
Old 22 Mar 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3810005)   #32
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
MARC are though
They and Aussie racing cars would be most vulnerable I would guess.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 00:03 (Ref:3810006)   #33
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
They and Aussie racing cars would be most vulnerable I would guess.
And those Marc cars have existed for more then a few years now yet no lawsuit forthcoming
Old 23 Mar 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3810008)   #34
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MARC gets around IP laws by taking Focus panels and bolting them to their own chassis, thus not "replicating" a Focus.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3810009)   #35
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
And those Marc cars have existed for more then a few years now yet no lawsuit forthcoming
They are also not prime time racing like Supercars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2018, 00:31 (Ref:3810014)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
MARC gets around IP laws by taking Focus panels and bolting them to their own chassis, thus not "replicating" a Focus.
But the new MARC II mustang look alike doesnt do that
Old 23 Mar 2018, 06:43 (Ref:3810039)   #37
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
And how is this any different from a V8 Supercar? All in sundry know it's a space frame chassis with a few panels covering it to keep the rain out.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3810048)   #38
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
While I agree with all of the above, do you really think someone with the background that RP has, would want to source cars from RD, instead of doing a lot of the weekday stuff themselves? I reckon he'd sooner sell up.
Same could be said for the new co-owners of WAU. Will they happily remain a customer to 888? Especially once the TTV6 comes online.

Maybe lean on Detroit for permission to run right hook Camaros?
Instant crowd favorite amongst the GM faithful.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3810053)   #39
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely this is the confirmation the series needs that it's past it's used by date?

Last edited by Forda; 23 Mar 2018 at 09:49.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3810054)   #40
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem the series has is that it appears the fans want to retain the status quo while new manufacturers seem to have no interest in the series as it currently stands. Someone has to adapt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3810060)   #41
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Maybe lean on Detroit for permission to run right hook Camaros? Instant crowd favorite amongst the GM faithful.
Would Supercars allow a team to run another car from the same brand since both the Commodore and the Camaro are a GM product?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3810068)   #42
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Would Supercars allow a team to run another car from the same brand since both the Commodore and the Camaro are a GM product?
If and I say if. GM were ok with it, why on earth would Supercars have an issue with it?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 23 Mar 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3810128)   #43
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The problem the series has is that it appears the fans want to retain the status quo while new manufacturers seem to have no interest in the series as it currently stands. Someone has to adapt.
Precisely. Nail. Hammer. Head.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3810140)   #44
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
If and I say if. GM were ok with it, why on earth would Supercars have an issue with it?
It would be like TCR with the VW, Skoda, Audi and Seat all using the same engine!
Old 23 Mar 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3810233)   #45
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Bingo. Great post.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3810237)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

so which one earns the most money for the series? Ultimately thats where Archer will go
Old 23 Mar 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3810239)   #47
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Has there been an alternative model identified that manufacturers would be interested in? I think that most have no interest because it doesn't sell cars any more, at least not to people who wouldn't buy the cars anyway, plus it isn't green. I would like to be wrong about this.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3810265)   #48
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
so which one earns the most money for the series? Ultimately thats where Archer will go
But if the manufacturers disappear without new ones entering then we end up with the possibility of generic cars with a generic shape and only team branding. Will the fans still stick around for that if they are already so set on walking away if the series adopted regulations which would be more attractive to manufacturers? The problem now is Ford are gone and I can't imagine current Ford teams will stick with those shapes and will for sure be seeking opportunities with other manufacturers so whether they like it or not, the legion of Ford fans are going to get a rude shock in the near future. The ship has already sailed.

Last edited by Ospi; 23 Mar 2018 at 23:52.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 01:50 (Ref:3810276)   #49
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Quote:
If you look at NASCAR, it has consistently gone with something that appeals to the fans, as ultimately it is an entertainment business, same as virtually all sports, including Supercars, AFL, NRL, Cricket etc.

F1 on the other hand, has probably gone down the path of being more appealing for manufacturers in recent years and I'm not convinced that it's been the right path. I'd suggest that sports cars and now TCR have probably gone down this route as well.

In a market the size of Oz, I suspect that the NASCAR approach generally (not the tech rules so much) makes sense but there are some big decisions to be made.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 02:01 (Ref:3810281)   #50
Ospi
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
If you look at NASCAR, it has consistently gone with something that appeals to the fans, as ultimately it is an entertainment business, same as virtually all sports, including Supercars, AFL, NRL, Cricket etc.

F1 on the other hand, has probably gone down the path of being more appealing for manufacturers in recent years and I'm not convinced that it's been the right path. I'd suggest that sports cars and now TCR have probably gone down this route as well.

In a market the size of Oz, I suspect that the NASCAR approach generally (not the tech rules so much) makes sense but there are some big decisions to be made.
I think you're right but what's different is the manufacturer names are still very loud and proud in NASCAR which helps to keep the fans interested and with the massive sponsorship opportunities and prize money makes it easier for the teams to exist as well. Supercars cant' say the same. I don't know the solution, they're already in **** with Ford gone and likely to be unrepresented in the near future and I can't see Nissan hanging around much longer, so then what? On the other hand if they open the regs to be more attractive to potential manufacturers then the fans become unhappy (but more unhappy than if there's no manufacturers represented at all?). Bit scary for the sport tbh.