Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 19 Dec 2007, 19:16 (Ref:2092160)   #26
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
hmmm... that thing looks like it just escaped from the seventies! Sorry, not convinced!

The Toyota Volta (come ON?!!!) looks mildly interesting until you see the design of the side:

To be fair it's mostly just a design feature or two which ruin it. If it were to drive well then it could be interesting.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2092178)   #27
hometune
Rookie

United Kingdom
essex
hometune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With today's news of ever lower targets for manufacturers, ( a figure of 130g/km across a manufacturers range ), It seems to me that over the next four years the change to new types of motive power will accelerate. After some research, I don't think the diesel hybrids will prove significantly more economic as the energy required to restart a high compression engine will mean it runs longer than a low compression petrol as used in petrol hybrids..

However, to believe these type of vehicles will not become more popular because they are less economic than diesel is to miss the point as to why we may all be driving them soon.
As a company car, they are offering lower and lower costs to the employee each year, whilst Diesels are being increased. As aprox 65% of all new cars are company cars, the market will probably go this way.

The shape of these cars is driven by aerodymaics and low drag much as early eighties cars such as the sierra and Mk2 astra. And if your driving it you can't see it.

I've still got to decide but i'll be testing a hybrid early next year,
Old 19 Dec 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2092186)   #28
hometune
Rookie

United Kingdom
essex
hometune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
for comparison
Prius 104g CO2/km hybrid
Civic 109g/km hybrid
Polo (Bluemotion) 99g/km diesel

before calculating dust to dust
The problem with all the other low emissions cars is that they are all supermini size and I have a family to carry around. I've heard a rumour that a low emissions golf estate is to be launched spring 2008, anyone heard of this?
Old 19 Dec 2007, 22:56 (Ref:2092330)   #29
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
hmmm... that thing looks like it just escaped from the seventies!
You say that like it's a problem!
Old 20 Dec 2007, 09:48 (Ref:2092519)   #30
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometune
The problem with all the other low emissions cars is that they are all supermini size and I have a family to carry around. I've heard a rumour that a low emissions golf estate is to be launched spring 2008, anyone heard of this?
If you're still aiming for the sub 120g/km market in order to minimise the tax, then I think the only Golf coming soon is the Bluemotion variant. (saloon, AFAIK, not estate)

The biggest car sub 120g is a Citroen C4 1.6HDi with a "DPFS electronic gearbox" whatever that is. I still plan on the BMW 118d in about a years time - gives me time to see if all this regenerative energy production is reliable.
Old 7 May 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2195859)   #31
Nuova 500
Rookie

Nuova 500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was the pround owner of a Honda Insight for four years.

Basically, if you could live with the fast that it had only two seats, it was an excellent car, returning an average of over 80mpg throught the 70,000 miles I owned it for.

I even did a couple of solo's in it, getting a 3rd place overall.
Old 7 May 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2195919)   #32
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a british company around which has developed a hybrid version of the BMW Mini - 4 wheel drive, 640+bhp and an 800 mile range.

It's sort of inverse from the norm though, It runs on battery as it's default setting, but then starts up a small petrol engine if the batteries get low. This means it's more like a petrol-electric system, where teh engine doesn't directly drive the wheels.

Even so, something with 640bhp, in something the size (and only slightly heavier than) a Bini is going to be fun!
Old 8 May 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2196916)   #33
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That sounds interesting Stiggy, I'll do a quick google....
Old 8 May 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2196919)   #34
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Here ya go!

http://www.pmlflightlink.com/archive/news_mini.html
Old 14 May 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2202015)   #35
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plug in hybrids seem like a good move environmentally. There you get the dual engine, shut-off during stop and regenerative braking as well as being able to charge up the battery off mains overnight.

Shouldn't using energy from the 'mains' be more efficient given that even less environmentally friendly power plants are more efficeint than an ICE (particularly petrol one)? Plus, depending on where you live, that power can be from Wind, Hydro, Solar or Nuclear.

I do have a question about the petrol engine 'shutt off' ability of a hybrid when you're stoped or going slowly. Does a control system monitor the temperature of the engine and the emission control systems? If they get too cold, their performance would be likely to drop and end up being worse for the environment as well as a potential for thermal stress/lubrication issues.
Old 15 May 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2202676)   #36
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

My personal physician has one. He is a semi-car nut. Likes cars but is technologically dis-inclined. He bought it on a `whim', has about 30k miles on it in 18 months. Does not complain about gas mileage but I am sure it is not `as good as advertised'. He has a once a week 50 mile each way commute on a motorway.

Not for me, thanks.