Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 10 Apr 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3056145)   #1
malks
Rookie

malks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how to calculate steering lock and steering ratios

hi does someone know the basics of how this works,its got me bamboozled at the moment,and could you explain in simple laymans terms,if you have the steering wheel set at say 540 degrees what would the equivalent be in the wheel lock i know this probably varies from car to car,is there anywhere i can find charts to show all the different race car values, tried searching on the net but to no avail,probably just not putting in the proper description to find what im looking for,

hope you can make head and sense of all this
maybe i should have posted this question in the virtual racing part of the forum

regards Malks,
Old 10 Apr 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3056219)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I can't see that there can be a definitive answer.
Having driven all sorts of cars in the last 45 plus years and made all sorts of permutations of racks/steering boxes on various projects they have all worked once things like bump steer have been eradicated.
Taken to the extreme an F1 car has very little movement at the wheel compared to a 1910 veteran road car.
Before power steering was the norm a bigger steering wheel was all that could be done to reduce steering input when a higher ratio was fitted.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Apr 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3056330)   #3
malks
Rookie

how to calculate steering lock and steering ratios

ok thanks for your reply,
maybe i should have explained a little better also,hence i maybe should have posted this in virtual racers,when in simulation racing my wheel turns more than the virtual car steering wheel,kinda distracting i would say,i would like my wheel to be turning the same amount of degrees as the wheel in the simulation to judge steering better especially when it comes to corners and hairpins,can anybody throw some light on this or maybe even move this post to the virtual racers section
cheers Malks.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3056647)   #4
cheapracer
Rookie

China
cheapracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Before power steering was the norm a bigger steering wheel was all that could be done to reduce steering input when a higher ratio was fitted.
Scrub radius, caster, kpi and tyre pressures all play a major part in steering effort.

malks, there is no answer to your question, it is totally dependent on steering arm length and steering box/rack travel per 360 degrees among many other factors (car weight, use, tyre sizes...) but if you want something loose (very loose!) to work with then 3 turns (steering wheel) for 60 degrees (total wheel angle travel) on a road car, 2 turns for 60 degrees on a competition car (ie; 1 turn for 30 degrees on open wheelers).
Old 11 Apr 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3057130)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malks View Post
............... i maybe should have posted this in virtual racers,when in simulation racing my wheel turns more than the virtual car steering wheel,kinda distracting i would say,i would like my wheel to be turning the same amount of degrees as the wheel in the simulation to judge steering better .........
Having played a few simulators I understand your issue. Sometimes matching the visual to your wheel is a simple case of adjusting the steering sensitivity in the simulator setup, but this isn't always adjustable. You may well get better advice on that in the Virtual Racer forum.

Going back to a rule of thumb for the steering input angle. Might I suggest that regardless of the type of car, or lock-to-lock figure, you should set up to get round the tightest hairpin at a steering input of no nore than say +/- 150-180deg from centred (300-360 deg total). This means you never have to let go of the wheel. With that as a base, setting up for less input will reduce the amount of work you do, but will make the steering less sensitive to small inputs, the choice is yours.

If all else fails, you could always use a bonnet view position so that you can't see the wheel on screen!

Old 14 Apr 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3058984)   #6
malks
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys,all very appreciated,i know the bonnet view seems like the obvious solution,but for me anyway i prefer cockpit view,seems more immersive,sure youll know what i mean,with you doing sim racing yourself
anyway guys thanks again cheers for now

malks.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3059754)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malks View Post
......but for me anyway i prefer cockpit view,seems more immersive,sure youll know what i mean,with you doing sim racing yourself.......
I know exactly what you mean, but it's not as simple as that. When you are racing a closed car for real you don't really "see" the inside of the car at all. Your attention is so focused on the track ahead that you aren't actually aware of the the car except for your key instruments. These you either glance at regularly or just keep track of in your periferal vision. You certainly don't "see" your steering wheel or the A-pillars, you simply see past them. Personally I find the most realistic "simulation view" of what it's like actually to go racing is a bonnet view cam the the instruments as a "head up" display. Besides which, I defy anyone who uses an in-car view to do a simulator drive through the mountain section of Bathurst in a saloon and have any idea where the corners are!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3060597)   #8
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, but then I defy anyone who hasn't been there to actually understand how any of that track works! (From Skyline on is nothing like you expect from TV.. actually from the Cutting all the way through to the elbow!!)
I don't care how fancy an F1 simulator is nothing can prepare you for the steepness and how it effects weight transfer of a vehicle
I am sure the Corkscrew at Lugna Seca or 100 other corners are the same