Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Jul 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1662191)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Upcoming Hard Chargers

The recent departure of JPM from F1 removed possibly the last old school, get in and drive hard charger from F1.

We have seen glimpses from Kimi, Alonso, Nico and a couple of others that they on a given day are prepared to have a good scrap but that doesn't bode well for much exciting racing over the rest of the year.

It can't reallly be argued that Montoya all the way through the ranks priovided much fireworks and plenty of entertainment on track.

But, who have we noticed amongst the myriad junior international formulas that have illustrated that they too can possibly get to F1 and give it their all and give us some future moments to cherish?

Hamilton clearly is a gusty driver and we hope he will carry that to F1

Paffett has shown he can race wheel to wheel in the past

What other Brits have shone in this area and who else from around the world will be able to light up a race for us?
Old 22 Jul 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1662199)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally at the moment I dont see anyone other than Adam Carroll, Justin Wilson, Dan Wheldon, Anthony Davidson and Gary Paffet and perhaps Andy Priaulx.

Carroll is a very fast driver but has had some bad luck so far in GP2, the Magny Cours race is a typical example, had Hamilton not taken them both off the chances of a couple of good results for both drivers was very good. IMO. Carroll has shown that he is a fast driver so far in GP2 having had multiple podium finishes.

Dan Wheldon as we all know is the reigning IRL champion, I dont know too much about the IRL to really be able to make a proper judgement but the championship is recognised as a hard nut to crack. You dont win the IRL championship without being a very good driver.

Justin Wilson has already had a shot at F1 I know but personally I dont think he really had a good chance, he did well at Minardi IMO and did ok at what was a struggling Jaguar the following year. He is now racing in Champcar and is doing very well and has a shot at the Championship. Perhaps worthy of another stab at F1. IMO.

Paffet is another super quick driver, very calm and relaxed and calculated. He showed everyone in the DTM what he is all about last year by taking the Championship in style against some very very good drivers. Now he is one of McLaren's test drivers and appears to be doing a good job. IMO. Will he get a shot at F1 though? He should do. IMO.

Davidson has done another good job this year as Honda's friday test driver but at the moment is running the risk of being forgotton. Last year everyone was very suprised and impressed at the times he was doing on the Friday's of a GP, these days I feel it is going a little bit more unnoticed and more expected.

Andy Priaulx is the reigning FIA WTCC champion and was the 2004 FIA ETCC champion and is currently leading the Championship again this year with BMW. He did very well in Formula 3 back in the mid to late 90s before making the switch over to touring cars in 2002. He undoubtedly has the speed to do a good job in F1 but how much potential he really has IMO is purely guess work. He is 31 years old at the moment however and if he is to make the switch to F1 he needs to sooner rather than later. IMO.

Looking further into the future we have potential drivers such as Robbie Kerr, Jamie Green, Danny Watts, Dan Clarke and James Rossiter. All of them are young and very talented drivers, where will they end up in the future though, in Formula One or touring cars/Champcar/IRL?

I didnt forget to add Hamilton by the way, I just didnt feel the need to add him. It is practically a given that he will be in F1 in 2007 IMO. Just a question of with what team?
Old 22 Jul 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1662208)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We wont see another Montoya type charger for a long time.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1662215)   #4
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would obviously go for carroll. i looked at this thread and thought it was probably designed for someone to mention adam and for the thread starter to shoot him down for him being overrated, which im sure many people beleive he is but in my opinion (which is all that matters!) he just isnt anywhere near lucky enough, rich enough or young enough.....ok 23 is youngish, but if carroll was a couple of years younger he might be a bit better placed. if he had some big money sponsors he would be better off too. if it wasnt for telefonica and repsol giving him a years budget for gp2 he wouldnt be racing this year. and im miffed at what he is going to do next year.

he hasnt had alot of luck in gp2. getting hit from behind when in strong positions by the likes of piquet, garcia, rosberg and hamilton. having stupid things go wrong at the likes of silverstone and hungary etc......but obviously like montoya himself, plenty of stuff he only has himself to blame for. overdring at imola this year. should have won the first spa race last year if didnt have that spin, stupid pitlane screwups like barca this year and losing the the title of 'first person to win a gp2 race' in imola last season after speeding in the pits...

but the same could be said for any driver i guess. at the end of the day i reckon carroll could be as good as montoya and even better, if he ever gets to f1. but he wont ever get to f1 because f1 bosses dont want you if you are not driving for the best team and dont have much money and have alot of bad luck. fair enough i suppose. i dont think carroll would be suited in f1 anyway. i personally would be content watching carroll spend the rest of his career in gp2, because gp2 is much more fun to watch than f1. and watching adam carroll in gp2 is even more fun! but gp2 isnt that sort of series, and adam probably wont even be able to afford a drive in gp2 after this year anyway!

sorry for being such a fanboy by the way, as russfield and everyone else will point out. if you want to see me in 'i hate adam carroll' mode just log on after about lap 2 of the hockenheim race when no doubt adam would have just lost another bundle of points!
Old 22 Jul 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1662217)   #5
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and by the way, lewis hamilton has everything going for him. he is blindingly quick, not unlucky, young, no worries about budget either. hamilton is the correct answer.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1662241)   #6
Clyde P. Puffer
Rookie

Wales
Mold, Wales
Clyde P. Puffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quote:

We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?
Jean Cocteau
French dramatist, director, & poet (1889 - 1963)
Old 22 Jul 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1662262)   #7
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde P. Puffer
I quote:

We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?
Jean Cocteau
French dramatist, director, & poet (1889 - 1963)
says it all really - magic
Old 23 Jul 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1662675)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The two Venezeualan guys; Viso and Maldonado are head down chargers surely?

But are they ultimately F1 material??

Viso looked ace earlier this year (very aggressive at Imola) but appears to have been destroyed by Glock (wouldn't have him on this list as he's not exactly and upcomer) these last 2 GP2 rounds!

Pastor on the other hand appears to have matured a bit and the signs are that he could continue to hone his talent when he steps up to GP2 next year which he is surely bound to.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1662790)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Viso looked ace earlier this year (very aggressive at Imola) but appears to have been destroyed by Glock (wouldn't have him on this list as he's not exactly and upcomer) these last 2 GP2 rounds!
Viso often looks good, and then he is nowhere at the next meeting, he was like that in F3 to, very erratic, but he has raw speed, and seems to have a fair bit of backing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in F1 someday.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1662852)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, viso's mega but so is sato in only a slightly different way, and he nosedived in f1, didn't he?
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1662868)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adam Carroll and Lewis Hamilton.

Carroll has the eye for a move and great control.

Hamilton is more measured, but pulls off even more astounding moves.

Let's have 'em both in an F1 that encourages racing and has less driver aids. Could happen.
Old 23 Jul 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1662875)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
yeah, viso's mega but so is sato in only a slightly different way, and he nosedived in f1, didn't he?
He did a little but Sato is still in Formula One, albeit with Super Aguri. Sato is having a good season this year given the situation he is in, he seems to be finishing a lot more than in previous years and I think that there is still hope yet that he may one day get back into a decent F1 team. He isnt a Bernoldi, Enge, or Wilson who hit F1 at the wrong angle and bounced off the F1 teams radars.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1664453)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the other venezualan guy, Johnny Cecotto jnr, how old is he ?, about 7, and he has won a F3 race already, got to be worth keeping an eye on. (seriously how old is he ?, 15 isn`t it)
Old 25 Jul 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1664481)   #14
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk
What about the other venezualan guy, Johnny Cecotto jnr, how old is he ?, about 7, and he has won a F3 race already, got to be worth keeping an eye on. (seriously how old is he ?, 15 isn`t it)
He's 16 (17 in September I think). He was really impressive on some occasions this year, both in Formula Renault and F3.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on, but IMO he needs some stability in his career.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1664521)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Take a look through the British F3 threads. There is one guy who's name is mentioned a lot and I tell you, he will blow everyone away in time. One to look out for when he is in GP2 next season.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1664534)   #16
Het_klaar_stel
Rookie

Italy
Cagliari
Het_klaar_stel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is promising driver from many country, young and good. I look circuit Santamaria, Misano weekend last, Scalbi is one to hard look at from Italy championship renault 1600, and British Craig Dolby I very much impressed wekend ago, he entertained wheel to wheel, no scared. I need see more though and long time wait till world look more to them. Spanish Dani in FRenault 2.0 Italy is championing very muchly amount, will be one to hard look.

short year Hamilton is much a good pilot. F1 drive is much important to new driver and I think it stop driver from risk on race too much.

Last edited by Het_klaar_stel; 25 Jul 2006 at 22:13.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1664561)   #17
Het_klaar_stel
Rookie

Italy
Cagliari
Edit above: Santa monica
Old 25 Jul 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1664582)   #18
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Het_klaar_stel
and British Craig Dolby I very much impressed wekend ago, he entertained wheel to wheel, no scared.
Is he doing FRenault 1600 or 2000cc? I haven't heard of him since 2004??
Old 26 Jul 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1664743)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Take a look through the British F3 threads. There is one guy who's name is mentioned a lot and I tell you, he will blow everyone away in time. One to look out for when he is in GP2 next season.
You're not suggesting..... no you can't be??!! Is he that good?
Old 26 Jul 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1664783)   #20
Sephirot1
Racer

Spain
Madrid, Spain
Sephirot1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A name would help... but I guess he is refering to Bruno Senna, linked to GP2 seats.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1664792)   #21
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah right, Senna!

I was thinking about, you know...oh never mind.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1664848)   #22
Het_klaar_stel
Rookie

Italy
Cagliari
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Is he doing FRenault 1600 or 2000cc? I haven't heard of him since 2004??
FRenault 1600 Belguim with Team Astromega, I hard looked at his career after look him at weekend last, muchly impressed though I talked to hear on other forum money problem cause problems year last and year last that. Probably why he now europe, I think the prize this year for championing FRenault 1600 is World Series Seat??? No sure.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1666523)   #23
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, the young charge to keep an eye on is Rodolfo Gonzalez - Gonzo has been impressive in his first F3 National season, he's won, how many races? 8 out of the 10 so far? I think he has great potential and he'll definitely move on and up to greater things.

Other's include: Alvaro Parente, Sean McIntosh, Oli Oakes and Niall Quinn.