Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Oct 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3466035)   #1751
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
My daughter wanted a Toyota. Japanese reliability and all that. I had to laugh when I saw 'Made in France' stamped on it
I remember years back the local "Datsun" agent had to put new door sills on brand new cars because they had been sitting at the docks for months soaked with salt water during a dockers strike and had started to rust through !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Oct 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3466039)   #1752
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Just heading for an early night before a 4am start for Silverstone tomorrow when I get a call to say no 2 son, heading home to join me, has been knocked off his bike by a car. Lad is OK thank heavens, on his way to A&E for a check over, but 3 week old Triple R sounds like a mess. Cue lecture from Mrs Mac about boys & their toys, won't be much sleep tonight!!!
Hope all is well at A&E Colin.

Statistically Friday after mid day is never a good time to be on the roads . Ultra caution needed until mid evening and then again around midnight through to the early hours.

Easy to forget that though ....
Old 17 Oct 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3466042)   #1753
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Just heading for an early night before a 4am start for Silverstone tomorrow when I get a call to say no 2 son, heading home to join me, has been knocked off his bike by a car. Lad is OK thank heavens, on his way to A&E for a check over, but 3 week old Triple R sounds like a mess. Cue lecture from Mrs Mac about boys & their toys, won't be much sleep tonight!!!
I hope he's OK Colin and if you do manage to get to Silverstone have a good day.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3466385)   #1754
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
So well done team Delta yesterday . Seems the crew do Better when I'm not there . Ha ha . Colin won EType class in Guards and Compte is British class A FJ champion again . Well done . BTW Max now told snell 2000 ok for another year ???
Old 19 Oct 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3466392)   #1755
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent news congrats to Colin and Le Compte.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3466405)   #1756
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So well done team Delta yesterday . Seems the crew do Better when I'm not there . Ha ha . Colin won EType class in Guards and Compte is British class A FJ champion again . Well done . BTW Max now told snell 2000 ok for another year ???
Yes congrats to both. I was in the Wing doing timing for the Caterham finals weekend on the other circuit (in fact I'm still there!) - was very frustrating being so close to the HSCC event and not able to see it!
Old 19 Oct 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3466556)   #1757
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Iain, re helmets, not according to the MSA. See their August 2014 publication:

"The MSA Technical Department wishes to remind competitors that the SNELL SA2000 helmet standard will be withdrawn from 1 January 2015, which is now less than five months away. Subject to the helmet being in satisfactory condition, the standard remains acceptable in 2014"

Don't know where you got the goss, but it's not correct according to the horse's mouth.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 05:09 (Ref:3466655)   #1758
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=PeterMorley;3465904]I didn't really want to spoil the story but wonder how a Russian car rates compared to a German one (or!QUOTE]

Years ago a local farmer brought his two month old Moscvitch in to the shop complain ing that the steering column rattled going over rough grond.Removed the offending part a the problem was apparent, the bushes had worn out , not really suprising as they bore a strong resemblance to a toilet roll tube!
I dont think that would be quite good enough for a German manufacturer??
Old 20 Oct 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3466690)   #1759
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Iain, re helmets, not according to the MSA. See their August 2014 publication:

"The MSA Technical Department wishes to remind competitors that the SNELL SA2000 helmet standard will be withdrawn from 1 January 2015, which is now less than five months away. Subject to the helmet being in satisfactory condition, the standard remains acceptable in 2014"

Don't know where you got the goss, but it's not correct according to the horse's mouth.
It is my fault Midgetman. I was told by a scrutineer at Silverstone, when I told him that it was my helmet's last race ever, that I should see the latest "flash" announcements on the MSA website and that the 2000 helmets had been given a year's extension. He obviously was wrong. Oh dear, I thought that I had saved a lot of money for another 12 months.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3466753)   #1760
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah M. Le Comte there's something afoot that they haven't published yet!

I'll do some digging, but to publish what they did in August and then rescind it in October seems a bit rash. Many people will already have bought new helmets to be "2015-proof".

But there again, nothing the MSA does surprises me any more. As licence numbers fall in other forms of the sport, they're running round like headless chickens.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 12:24 (Ref:3466757)   #1761
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much to my surprise the trusty old 02 Laguna passed it's MOT at the first attempt on Saturday. It had an advisory "Under-tray fitted obscuring some underside components'

.....isn't that what it's supposed to do !!
Old 21 Oct 2014, 00:00 (Ref:3466956)   #1762
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Much to my surprise the trusty old 02 Laguna passed it's MOT at the first attempt on Saturday. It had an advisory "Under-tray fitted obscuring some underside components'

I really do wonder about some of these MOT testers sometimes!

No doubt had it been absent, the very same tester would have given an advisory along the lines of 'Under-tray missing, exposing some underside components.'
Old 21 Oct 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3467007)   #1763
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
They have to put that to safeguard themselves, if you drove it up the road from the MOT centre and a rotted brake pipe failed that could not be inspected and caused a crash they can't be blamed.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Oct 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3467114)   #1764
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
They have to put that to safeguard themselves, if you drove it up the road from the MOT centre and a rotted brake pipe failed that could not be inspected and caused a crash they can't be blamed.
It would take them 5 mins to undo the screws to pull the under tray back to gain enough access to have a look. Seems a bit of a cop out to me
Old 21 Oct 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3467116)   #1765
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would take them 5 mins to undo the screws to pull the under tray back to gain enough access to have a look. Seems a bit of a cop out to me

Testers are not allowed to use any tools, other than the approved plastic hammer.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 22 Oct 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3467405)   #1766
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

My old E46 320D Compact (really good car actually!) passed on Monday yesterday and had same comments. When I queried it, I was advised that yes it was a load of old ******** but that its standard practice to cover themselves from officialdom if anything incapable of normal MOT inspection goes wrong. As Gordon says, t'is the world we live in.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Oct 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3467435)   #1767
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just in from the trip. The last 24 hours on the ferry were awfull. Never been so ill. "sorry Mike" Yet again I missed out on all the free food. At least I got on the ferry thanks to Mike for nagging me to pre book, three other race trucks got turned away. Sure is nice to be home but already looking forward too 2015 with word that Pau, Barcelona and also a trip to Sweden are on the cards.
The good old merc truck just kept rolling along and even with an injector pipe coming loose and causing a major smoke screen in Spain did not stop her. "nearly had to call out Gordon"
BTW Max have you sorted your van, ???
Old 22 Oct 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3467458)   #1768
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We got back last night, sorry to hear of the rough crossing Iain.

Still buzzing from my races although had to see the doc today, seems I squashed my funny bone on Saturday.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3467465)   #1769
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Just in from the trip. The last 24 hours on the ferry were awfull. Never been so ill.
Was you on the Bay of Biscay crossing ? only done it twice and was "ill" on both occasions !
I can make it to our place in 24 hrs via Calais anyway so it's actually quicker !
Old 23 Oct 2014, 05:44 (Ref:3467544)   #1770
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
BTW Max have you sorted your van, ???
Nope, it went to the garage who stuck it on the diagnostics, this time they came up with the cam and crank sensors out of alignment. Changed crank sensor but no better, they wanted to check the cam chain but gave up when they couldn't get a couple of injectors out and the bill was starting to climb. Good job I didn't play with the fuel system!

Then yesterday it lost all power, so I managed to get it back there and they reckon the boost control sensor has failed. They are replacing that today and it will remain to be seen if anything/everything/nothing has improved. I hope it has, I've got to get my karts down to Clay tomorrow for customers!

Bl@@dy vans

Lucky you, finished for the season, we're carrying on until mid-December and it looks like re-starting in January Can't complain I suppose, there's worse ways of earning money.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3467553)   #1771
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Was you on the Bay of Biscay crossing ? only done it twice and was "ill" on both occasions !
I can make it to our place in 24 hrs via Calais anyway so it's actually quicker !
Not so easy on tacho hours and restricted to 90kph! A friend averaged 64mph with V6 Sprinter and big shuttle from Bilbao to Portimao....

We left the circuit Sunday with 30 degrees showing, and all across Spain next day was mid 20s, so feels bit chilly outside with shorts on this morning!

Quite a few on the boat suffered from motion sickness during the night, including YT. Didn't help having a cabin near the bows as the movement is much greater that end. Sitting in the bar at the stern movement was not that noticeable! It's a lottery, as week before those on the way to Bilbao had a 'millpond' crossing and were able to watch the Dolphins all way across.....

Anyway, all over now and just loads of washing, truck unloading / cleaning plus personal weight reduction to get through!

Old 23 Oct 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3467701)   #1772
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What engine oil should I use in my old 350 Chevy V8? I was told a 20/50 with a zinc additive or an oil with it already in, will Valvoline VR1 be OK?
Old 23 Oct 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3467710)   #1773
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim,
Kendall GT1 20W/50 is what I use in the Chev 350 in the Camaro for road and race. Is that OTT for the engine you have in mind ?
Nick
Old 24 Oct 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3467852)   #1774
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motorin...11363938862274
Oh dear ! they do have a habit of jumping out in the road !
Old 24 Oct 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3467907)   #1775
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
What engine oil should I use in my old 350 Chevy V8? I was told a 20/50 with a zinc additive or an oil with it already in, will Valvoline VR1 be OK?
I always used Valvoline VR1 but was told a year or so ago that the oil's formula had changed and now had less (or no) zinc.
Closed Thread