Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Oct 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3467378)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Niki Lauda's view of Formula 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK_cTgOzlo0

NSFW for some swearing but I think Niki is right. Cars these days have half to one third of the power of yesterday's cars, the tyres are too narrow and the such.

Should we do a retro look at F1 and go back to massive amounts of power, next to no downforce and big, chunky and wide tyres?
Old 22 Oct 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3467393)   #2
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Narrow tires make drivers struggle for grip. I like.

As for horsepower, who cares? The innovations in the chassis technology have allowed to make the cars go faster around the tracks, even though the power has gone down. It's not gonna help anyone if the F1 cars have 1000 HP engines but you ban all the chassis innovations from the last 30 years. Otherwise, the cars will reach the speeds and Gs that are so so high that some drivers pass out or feel dizzy.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3467395)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with some of his points, but the mind boggles at yet another significant stakeholder publicly ripping into the product.

That's Formula One's main issue at the moment. Forget everything else - there's no faith in the product from the stakeholders.

The lack of faith and promotion is one thing - the outspoken criticism is quite another. We had the stupid nonsense with the sound of the cars, and that overshadowed some quite brilliant racing. And that's been lost this season. We've actually had quite an extraordinary season; just look at the race rating threads on this forum.

Dread to think what these critics are going to do to the sport when there's a power vacuum after Bernie's gone. There could be a very rough ride.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3467422)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'd sooner see stakeholders speak frankly from their hearts than listen to some weasley sales pitch on how everything is cool when it clearly isn't.

Of course speaking from your heart needs to be followed by sensible correctives.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3467451)   #5
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I just want one thing which most will disagree with..
Just give them a gear stick back.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3467474)   #6
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just love to see them:
- Set a sensible, transparent, budget limit.
- Retain and improve safety measures.
- Set tighter fuel limits, year on year, while freeing up newer technologies to encourage innovation.
- Leave everything else to the designers. Let's see Adrian Newey come back to F1, lets see the new Colin Chapman, Jim Hall etc.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3467476)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'd sooner see stakeholders speak frankly from their hearts than listen to some weasley sales pitch on how everything is cool when it clearly isn't.

Of course speaking from your heart needs to be followed by sensible correctives.
Too right!

"Weasley sales pitch" - the way of the modern world!

Interesting to note that I can't get spell check to accept weasley/ weasely/ weaseley/ weasly in any form?!

Is it a banned word now, or does someone know how to spell it?

It is only by identifying a problem and exploring solutions that anything can be solved.
Platitudes and spin never solved any problem, someone has to speak up and a solution has to be found!

Last edited by wnut; 22 Oct 2014 at 21:27.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3467495)   #8
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Just love to see them:
- Set a sensible, transparent, budget limit.
- Retain and improve safety measures.
- Set tighter fuel limits, year on year, while freeing up newer technologies to encourage innovation.
- Leave everything else to the designers. Let's see Adrian Newey come back to F1, lets see the new Colin Chapman, Jim Hall etc.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3467560)   #9
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should put Lauda in charge.......
Old 24 Oct 2014, 03:16 (Ref:3467802)   #10
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lauda is stuck in his era. The 1967 cars, with less than 425 HP, were harder to drive than the cars of his era. They had no downforce, harder tires, and narrower tires.

Put the wide tires and huge wings he wants and at 1,200 HP they would be easier to drive than the current cars. With that description they would need more than 2,000 HP to turn into the kind of car he would like, but of course they would be death traps.

On the other hand, take the wings away completely and narrow the tires a little, and with the current power, all the drivers would have a major challenge hanging on.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3468016)   #11
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup I couldn't agree more, don't forget the Toyota Prius powerplants and the cemetry like atmosphere.
I haven't ditched my beloved sport but this is the first year I have watched less than half the races live...just the aussie gp...
Old 24 Oct 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3468017)   #12
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Guys, these ideas are just far too simple (read: genius!) for the bunch of suit wearing chumps at the oval table of the FIA.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3468065)   #13
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
Guys, these ideas are just far too simple (read: genius!) for the bunch of suit wearing chumps at the oval table of the FIA.
They are too busy protecting the status quo.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3468080)   #14
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They are all too busy prospecting for cash and outfoxing the competitor off the track. They don't take have the patience to take a nuanced view over the long term interest of the sport and the FIA is too weak a governing institution to perform that role adequately.

Even as Lauda speaks to us as a fan and says certain things most of us agree with; he'll get dragged right back into the vortex of short-termism once he puts his team boss executive cap back on. That's the nature of F1 atm - a fast-paced run away freight train.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 00:30 (Ref:3468124)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
They are all too busy prospecting for cash and outfoxing the competitor off the track. They don't take have the patience to take a nuanced view over the long term interest of the sport and the FIA is too weak a governing institution to perform that role adequately.

Even as Lauda speaks to us as a fan and says certain things most of us agree with; he'll get dragged right back into the vortex of short-termism once he puts his team boss executive cap back on. That's the nature of F1 atm - a fast-paced run away freight train.
I think you may have miss read Niki here, I think he would do what is right for the sport, I think he has read the writing on the wall and he is rich and cynical enough not to have to put up with what he would call the BS.
I believe he would be the best person to run the sport following Bernie's departure and may well be working his way there!
Old 25 Oct 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3468241)   #16
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
They are too busy protecting the status quo.
Yep well said.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3468702)   #17
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lauda is stuck in his era. The 1967 cars, with less than 425 HP, were harder to drive than the cars of his era. They had no downforce, harder tires, and narrower tires.

Put the wide tires and huge wings he wants and at 1,200 HP they would be easier to drive than the current cars. With that description they would need more than 2,000 HP to turn into the kind of car he would like, but of course they would be death traps.

On the other hand, take the wings away completely and narrow the tires a little, and with the current power, all the drivers would have a major challenge hanging on.
Lauda propeses agressive cars, which are physically more demanding and indeed require more talent to be competitive than the current breed. His idea is not necessarily better or worse than the Formula One you propose. It is just a different idea.
However, Lauda made his Formula One debut in a low-downforce era and always opposed the ground effect cars.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3468729)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The modern F1 cars are now so complex electronically that I don't think the driver would have the time to drive a far more aggressive car..

The cars these days are all about aerodynamics aren't they. I agree with Nicki in some ways bring back wider tyres and more horsepower...

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.' - Enzo Ferrari
I borrowed your signature for a moment Pingguest, I hope you don't mind ?
Old 26 Oct 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3468743)   #19
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Trouble is, Ferrari cant do either a the moment. Enzo would be turning in his grave.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3468799)   #20
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Lauda propeses agressive cars, which are physically more demanding and indeed require more talent to be competitive than the current breed. His idea is not necessarily better or worse than the Formula One you propose. It is just a different idea.
However, Lauda made his Formula One debut in a low-downforce era and always opposed the ground effect cars.
Most of his career was the Cosworth DFV era, and they had wings before he made it to F1. He retired before the really insane turbos. So, the 1967 cars were harder to drive than the cars of his time, because they had NO downforce, and harder, narrower tires. Dump the wings, keep the underbodies they way they are now, keep the tires the way they are now, and we could have tough to drive beasts like he wants from the engines they use now.

I'd be all for that!

But some people would whine that the F2 cars could then lap faster. The F1 cars would certainly put on a much more exciting show than the F2 cars, even if they lapped a little slower. Plus the F1 cars would be getting the job done for about 1/3 less fuel. Cut the fuel allocation for the F2 cars back and all would be back in balance.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3468844)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The modern F1 cars are now so complex electronically that I don't think the driver would have the time to drive a far more aggressive car..
Although the current breed of cars are - in some way - very sophisticated electronically, drivers do not have to do much. Since this year, the energy recovery systems are simply computer-controlled and react to the drivers' throttle movements. All dials and buttons on the steering wheels are mainly to allow drivers to constantly alter the car settings in accordance to the circumstances they find themselves in.

A couple of weeks ago Autosport did a research to how stressful the driving currently is and unsurprisingly they concluded 'Ayrton Senna's era' was more stressful both physically and mentally. The cars in that era were physically hard to drive because of the simple reason they generated an awful amount of downforce and lacked driver aids - apart from the Ferrari's, all cars were still fitted with manual gearboxes.
But one have to ask whether a(n artificial) return to that era is desirable. The downforce levels those cars generated, would make close racing and overtaking virtually impossible.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3468889)   #22
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Although the current breed of cars are - in some way - very sophisticated electronically, drivers do not have to do much. Since this year, the energy recovery systems are simply computer-controlled and react to the drivers' throttle movements. All dials and buttons on the steering wheels are mainly to allow drivers to constantly alter the car settings in accordance to the circumstances they find themselves in.

A couple of weeks ago Autosport did a research to how stressful the driving currently is and unsurprisingly they concluded 'Ayrton Senna's era' was more stressful both physically and mentally. The cars in that era were physically hard to drive because of the simple reason they generated an awful amount of downforce and lacked driver aids - apart from the Ferrari's, all cars were still fitted with manual gearboxes.
But one have to ask whether a(n artificial) return to that era is desirable. The downforce levels those cars generated, would make close racing and overtaking virtually impossible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX3xa8MaHqU

That doesn't look very glued-down. Check out the yaw.

The wings are a lot smaller now, but the current cars probably have more downforce than the 1994 cars. In any case, they are more planted now. But, if true, that would partly support your comment that the current cars require less from the driver.

Eliminating most of the downforce would make it a much better show for the fans, and the reduction in wings would improve passing. Win/win.

Except for the people who obsess about lap time in an era when all cars are limited for safety.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 00:41 (Ref:3468911)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I am not surprised at this finding...We only have to watch Senna at Monaco in a McLaren Honda it looks very very physical to say the least...
Old 27 Oct 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3468922)   #24
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
I think some of it is just the engineers are better at their jobs now.

There is more knowledge about suspension, damping and tires now. They simulate things to death. They are able to design cars that reduce the load on the driver by not suddenly changing handling characteristics as much during a corner.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3469012)   #25
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly. The sophistication is far greater now. If you took one of those Senna cars and changed nothing in terms of weight, output, tire size or any of that but, built to today's standard of sophistication "fit and finish" so to speak...it would be a totally different experience for the driver. A smoother, friendlier car would be the result. The only way that you can capture the idea of putting the current drivers in the kind of cars that Lauda or Senna or whoever would have driven is to put them in the actual cars that Lauda or Senna or whoever would have driven. High stakes historical gp racing. No matter how retro and romantic the technical regs of of 1977 may seem at first glance those guys have learned a lot over these last 30-40 years.