Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 May 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3731719)   #926
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
For a podium they'd have to actually beat the LMP2 grid. I don't see that happening, either on pace or reliability.
Only took 4 days for them to prove me wrong. That is probably the best race they have ever run. The car wasn't fast, but it beat the class below it. It didn't break down. It didn't catch fire. Only problems they appeared to have was some driver mistakes. I'd call that a job well done for today.
Old 6 May 2017, 22:17 (Ref:3731769)   #927
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good on 'em.
Old 7 May 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3731906)   #928
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Only took 4 days for them to prove me wrong. That is probably the best race they have ever run. The car wasn't fast, but it beat the class below it. It didn't break down. It didn't catch fire. Only problems they appeared to have was some driver mistakes. I'd call that a job well done for today.
Apparently they had a boost pressure problem (a leak?) so they were down on top speed for the last hour or so. Top speed is their main strength so they could have finished further ahead of LMP2 without that issue.

Just had a quick look at the timing results. ByKolles had the highest top speed over the weekend, at 320.6kph, albeit in free practice. Next best was the #8 Toyota, in the race, at 315.9kph. So much for high downforce/high drag, although they could have had a tow off someone.

The sector times make for pretty ugly reading for ByKolles though. Given sectors 1 and 3 are fast and flowing, and sector 2 is the twisty middle part of the lap, they managed 6th best sector 1, 7th best sector 3 but only 16th best sector 2. Good for Le Mans though...

Last edited by Mike E; 7 May 2017 at 10:51.
Old 7 May 2017, 14:03 (Ref:3731948)   #929
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Apparently they had a boost pressure problem (a leak?) so they were down on top speed for the last hour or so. Top speed is their main strength so they could have finished further ahead of LMP2 without that issue.

Just had a quick look at the timing results. ByKolles had the highest top speed over the weekend, at 320.6kph, albeit in free practice. Next best was the #8 Toyota, in the race, at 315.9kph. So much for high downforce/high drag, although they could have had a tow off someone.

The sector times make for pretty ugly reading for ByKolles though. Given sectors 1 and 3 are fast and flowing, and sector 2 is the twisty middle part of the lap, they managed 6th best sector 1, 7th best sector 3 but only 16th best sector 2. Good for Le Mans though...
Perhaps they would have cleared the p2's better without the turbo issue, but they were no further ahead during the first 5 hours, so I think they finished where they should have.

The top speed at LeMans could be quite good, really looking forward to it! Maybe this result will be a good example of what is possible for the teams currently looking at the class and spur some additional interest.
Old 7 May 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3731997)   #930
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldnt be surprised to see ESM-Nissan adopt this coswort-nissan based engine for the IMSA-DPI effort, the GT3 based v6 they currently use is something like 40kg over weight, no wonder they are struggling......this bespoke cosworth item must be much lighter.
Old 7 May 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3732005)   #931
OmerRS
Rookie

OmerRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I wouldnt be surprised to see ESM-Nissan adopt this coswort-nissan based engine for the IMSA-DPI effort, the GT3 based v6 they currently use is something like 40kg over weight, no wonder they are struggling......this bespoke cosworth item must be much lighter.
IMSA DPi engine has to be a production based block, so 3.0 LMP1 engine is not an option.

ByKolles was a lot slower than the Rebellion last year on speed trap and lap times, I think their chassis produces too much drag but not downforce as should be. I expect higher top speed with that engine.
Old 7 May 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3732014)   #932
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now with a day or so to consider. They did better than I thought, basically I expect them to be slow and mess up! Minimal mess up and a bit better than LMP2. I suspect no where near what is possible with a privateer P1.

Podium at Le Mans? Well two nearly reliable races doesn't confirm they'll be OK for 24hours. Also the P1s haven't shown themselves to be fragile; they've done as well or better than Kolles. I think a team could have a Lopez moment and still beat the privateer.
Old 7 May 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3732017)   #933
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll admit I was wrong about Spa, but I agree that I don't see them getting a podium. I do still think there's more chance of G-Drive, Rebellion or Jota getting a podium.
Old 7 May 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3732021)   #934
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmerRS View Post
IMSA DPi engine has to be a production based block
It does not. The Mazda isn't.
Old 7 May 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3732030)   #935
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Good top speed from the car. Glad they were pretty reliable too and finished ahead of lmp2. With a new engine it seems they're getting a lot better than last year. That aer was iffy at best. Hopefully they have a new chassis next year, because that's probably the best thing for them to be competitive.
Old 7 May 2017, 20:28 (Ref:3732035)   #936
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Hopefully they have a new chassis next year, because that's probably the best thing for them to be competitive.
A Ginetta?
Old 7 May 2017, 22:47 (Ref:3732056)   #937
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
It does not. The Mazda isn't.
Yep, the mazda is a completley bespoke AER design with no relation whatsoever to any mass production engine......therefore i still suspect ESM will be eying the 3.0 V6 Nissan-cosworth, you would like to think the conversion could be easy, perhaps wishful thinking on my behalf!

Yep, Kolles must be eying a ginetta chassis for 2018, it just seems their current brick of a car is devoid of any downforce....a real turd of a car
Old 8 May 2017, 00:03 (Ref:3732063)   #938
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
A Ginetta?
I don't know if that or any other customer chassis is in their plans or if they are thinking of doing their own car.
Old 8 May 2017, 06:41 (Ref:3732138)   #939
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well after watching the car at Spa, yes it was slower than the manufacturers cars yes it finished a considerable number of laps adrift but in the looks stake it sure as hell bit the 5 almost identical read and white cars in the looks competition. My congratulations to the team and i will confirm that in the stands as the race finished the car got a big cheer at the end.
Old 8 May 2017, 13:39 (Ref:3732220)   #940
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quick question why weren't the byKolles drivers awarded points in the drivers championship? G-Drive got the points for the 6th place according to the pdf, with Kraihamer, Rossiter and Webb marked DNS.
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Res..._AFTER_SPA.pdf
Old 8 May 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3732239)   #941
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Quick question why weren't the byKolles drivers awarded points in the drivers championship? G-Drive got the points for the 6th place according to the pdf, with Kraihamer, Rossiter and Webb marked DNS.
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Res..._AFTER_SPA.pdf
I don't know but I noticed that on the WEC app they were shown as DNR. (Presumably that means Did Not Race, not Do Not Resuscitate. )
Old 8 May 2017, 15:05 (Ref:3732241)   #942
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well after watching the car at Spa, yes it was slower than the manufacturers cars yes it finished a considerable number of laps adrift but in the looks stake it sure as hell bit the 5 almost identical read and white cars in the looks competition. My congratulations to the team and i will confirm that in the stands as the race finished the car got a big cheer at the end.
In the entire LMP classes (P1 and P2), there are only 3 cars which weren't red, white and black -

G-Drive (which looks a little red anyway)
ByKolles
Signatech (they did run a second car at Spa though)

That's an amazing lack of diversity in liveries.
Old 8 May 2017, 19:27 (Ref:3732312)   #943
TF110
Veteran

United States
Red pops. It's a racey color. Not surprisingly it's used so much. At least the CLM is Grey and Yellow.
Old 9 May 2017, 01:43 (Ref:3732357)   #944
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I've always liked the looks of the Kolles livery, and you are right, it is a great contrast to the factory cars.
Old 9 May 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3732393)   #945
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Red pops. It's a racey color. Not surprisingly it's used so much. At least the CLM is Grey and Yellow.
In isolation, that colour theory is fine. But red stops popping when every other car looks the same. Given Porsches liveries seem to be made by design students with no concept of a good vehicle livery, it's funny they can't apply proper colour theory to it.
Old 9 May 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3732429)   #946
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just had my email from the WEC and they state that the Kolles car recorded the highest speed at the spa race, not bad for a car that some people write off
Old 9 May 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3732443)   #947
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you know, its the internet, its all doom and gloom most of the time.
Old 9 May 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3732489)   #948
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to the alkamel site, kolles lmp1 hit 320km/h as best marked top speed, during the race there was an onboard with a porche 919 hitting about 320km/h just after radillion, so to me is really unlikely that kolles achieved the absolute highest top speed.
Anyway 2017 clm is just the extremely powerfull nismo engine put inside a wreck... not surprised that mere power and top speed (reliability too... maybe) are the only cards in kolles hand
Old 9 May 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3732510)   #949
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well it got a big cheer in the stands, so the fans of all nationalities seem to like it
Old 9 May 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3732520)   #950
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just had my email from the WEC and they state that the Kolles car recorded the highest speed at the spa race, not bad for a car that some people write off
The-LMP1-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named also managed very high top speeds ... hopefully Kolles will continue to not follow that effort and pick up lap time while maintaining good reliability.