Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1207005)   #1
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Track Making 101.

OK, I want to try and make some tracks, but don't know how. So I thought I'd make Track Making 101 because I am completely 404 when it comes to this sort of thing. And it will act as a guide for other newbie track makers to get their bearings before plunging in and having to start a thread of their own or adding to one and then finding out there is more they need to know. So, anyone with track making tips, post 'em here!
Vicki.
PS: If I've repeated something that has already been done then I'm sorry, I don't come out of my natural habitat of forums to come here that often.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1207029)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could do what I do, and draw them up in paint.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1207045)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you got excel?
The draw tools in there are pretty good. Once you've drawn a rough outline, you can then right click on it and go to 'edit points' to muck around with it some more.
Then when you're happy, press print screen, go to paint and press ctrl+v to paste the image in.

Another way of doing it is in Paint Shop Pro, or other similar software if you have it.

Or you can draw it on a piece of paper and scan it in.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1207054)   #4
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, you can draw in Excel? And people say I waste my time coming on here...
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1207062)   #5
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol well i think a track should have a mix up of everything, fast corners, long corners, esse, hairpins just getting the flow right but everyone's design is diffrent. :X
Old 22 Jan 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1207064)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
OK this may be a bit sad, but I've tried it and it works... Get hold of the Autosport Track Guide. Scan in your favourite corners as jpegs or similar. Open each one up in Photoshop or Paintshop or the like and tidy them up by erasing the text and stuff. Then open a new file as a big blank page and paste all your favourite corners onto it with gaps between. Now you've got a big jigsaw with the added advantage of being able to stretch the bits to make them fit together. When you've got them all hooked up together, scale it down and print it out... it comes complete with tyre barriers and marshalls posts!!

Last edited by dtype38; 22 Jan 2005 at 11:56.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1207076)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOL!

Great idea

To draw in excel go to view>toolbars and check 'drawing'
You'll see a toolbar come up, with buttons for line draw, box draw etc.
this is what can do, if you layer everything up and do lots of different lines of different widths on top of each other etc to create lines at the edge of the track, access roads etc.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1207089)   #8
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Wow, that looks technical. Will have to try the Autosport thing. Where can I get the guide from>
Old 22 Jan 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1207094)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
The Autosport thing is at www.circuitnews.co.uk under Circuit Guides (its actually sponsored by Dunlop now, not Autosport). Bit expensive if you're buying for fun, but you could try asking around the racers forum to see if anyone has an old copy (they are updated every year).

Last edited by dtype38; 22 Jan 2005 at 12:49.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1207171)   #10
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most simple and easy way is Paint .

And when you become more experienced in Paint, you can actually do surprisingly much with it .
Old 22 Jan 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1207363)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
paint isnt a bad program, theres alot you can do with it, but as you all know i dont use windows so the gimp works perfect for me.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1207442)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, all my most recent tracks have been with the gimp (which is available for windows too, do a google search for it)
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:15 (Ref:1387453)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_royksopp
The most simple and easy way is Paint .

And when you become more experienced in Paint, you can actually do surprisingly much with it .
exactly!
Old 12 Sep 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1406165)   #14
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to scare you all now, but I use Adobe Illustrator to create the images for e-Tracks. It's a professional's tool, really, although quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. Quick, as well. I reckon this track took around two hours to create (It's Tilke's Cape Town design, but I was working from his original artwork).