Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 20 Apr 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2445915)   #1
budzinskij
Rookie

United States
California
budzinskij should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeking advice on photos/access

I'm a strictly amateur photographer that was fortunate this past weekend to get some decent shots at the American Le Mans race at Long Beach, CA (see the attached and also http://www.flickr.com/photos/budzins...7616939145889/).

Anyway, I've been asked by someone to purchase the photos but am not really in it for the money (though maybe I should reconsider!). What I'd really love to get out of these photos is better access through a photo credential to some events and/or get them published for real.

Perhaps neither of those two things is realistic, but I thought I'd see what others think. Do these photos have any monetary value? Are they interesting enough to get published? Could they be utilised somehow to get credentialed? I realize there are lots of hassles with credentialing, commercial rights holders, etc., but thought I'd ask about it since better access and not money is what I really desire.

Opinions and advice would be gratefully received.

-jeff
Attached Thumbnails
3455139918_141a9d7496.jpg  
Old 21 Apr 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2446084)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Do these photos have any monetary value? - They are worth whatever you think they are worth and whatever someone is prepared to pay for them.

Are they interesting enough to get published? - That's for the publisher to decide. If they think they are interesting enough then who is to disagree.

Could they be utilised somehow to get credentialed? - On their own, no, having a few good photos is not reason to get accreditation. If a magazine or other media outlet likes them and commissions you to take photos on their behalf then that's a different matter.

since better access and not money is what I really desire - Media accreditation is for working media only, if you just want better access then forget it.

Remember, media accreditation does not give you the right to sell pictures commercially, anything you take must be for editorial purposes only.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2446091)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by budzinskij View Post
Watch out Jon B, you might have to hand over the 2009 Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year trophy!
Old 21 Apr 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2446195)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As redshoes says, having some good photos isn't reason in itself to get a pass for better access. You need to be providing a service all the time, not just the odd dramatic photo like the above.

Having said that, it's a good photo, and if none of the regular photographers have it, you may have some publications that are interested in it. You need to let them know though, I've seen repeats of this race twice now, so it's old news!
Old 21 Apr 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2446306)   #5
philwillmedia
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
philwillmedia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jeff,
If you are talking about the image above - YES YES YES.
This (and the ones on your flickr site) are stunning images.
If I was an editor of a paper or magazine, I would be running the whole sequence.
Unfortunately for you, it's probably too late now. Being Tuesday, it's old news.
On the day this happened (Saturday or Sunday) it would have been worth a whole lot more.
You needed to be contacting the newspapers and magazines then instead of putting a message on a forum today.
As to what they are worth, well it depends on how many others and got similar shots.
Images like this sell to papers and magazines but the sooner they can get hold of them the better.
These are stunning images, and ones you will probably only ever get once in a lifetime. Pro shooters would kill for images like those.
Even at this late stage, I would be making contact by phone to editors of monthly magazines, or ones that have a slightly longer deadline than weekly and telling them what you have got and possibly send them by email only one or two LOW RES, WATERMARKED images. I would be doing this as soon as possible - ie Yesterday.
Hope this helps

"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"
Old 21 Apr 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2446622)   #6
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Watch out Jon B, you might have to hand over the 2009 Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year trophy!
The year is young yet!!!
Old 22 Apr 2009, 00:38 (Ref:2446692)   #7
budzinskij
Rookie

United States
California
budzinskij should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to everyone for all the useful comments.

I guess I might have blown it in terms of timing and monetary value. I'll follow up and see if there's any interest from the weeklies/monthlies.

Regarding photo access/media credentials, I don't have aspirations to be working media. I'd just like to get closer to the action and this seemed like a potential way. It seems like I can rule this out.
Old 22 Apr 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2447062)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by budzinskij View Post
Regarding photo access/media credentials, I don't have aspirations to be working media. I'd just like to get closer to the action and this seemed like a potential way. It seems like I can rule this out.
Pretty much right. Getting one lucky shot might get you something published and a bit of exposure, it doesn't automatically give you a media pass. You need to be working for a media outlet for that, consistently producing results, and actually have someone who wants to use your pictures. For example, I doubt the guy who got the picture of the Airbus in the Hudson river on his iphone is now working for a news agency! Good luck getting this one published though.