Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: IS MEDIA COVERAGE OF THE BTCC ADEQUATE??
YES 6 25.00%
NO 18 75.00%
NO OPINION 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Feb 2003, 21:50 (Ref:502759)   #1
IanM
Rookie

IanM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News and media coverage

I hope this year the coverage of the BTCC in the papers and on Local television news improves.I live near Donnington Park and we dont get anything on the news at all.For what is supposed to be a top british motor racing series the coverage is non existant.You scan the papers after a race for result and if you're really lucky,you may find 3 lines tucked in a corner somewhere.When it comes to F1 there are pages of guff.If our news can show a 10 minute slot about racing skips and sheds around Donnington,why caqnt they do the same for real racing????
Old 11 Feb 2003, 07:45 (Ref:503029)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I've found most of my BTCC news right here in this forum.

With so many members, someone, somewhere always seems to see/hear something or know someone in a team.

We've always got members at the races, who can nearly always come back with some 'paddock' gossip, and of course the forum has a close association with team B&Q York City racing.

Several ex and current BTCC drivers are also members and look in from time to time as well.

All I can say is stay tuned!

ST

PS.Craig, was that a good sales job?

Last edited by Super Tourer; 11 Feb 2003 at 07:46.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 19:54 (Ref:503650)   #3
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV wise the BTCC gets goodish time. But in newspapers you hardly ever see anything about the BTCC so the net is the best place really.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:00 (Ref:503700)   #4
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think ITV have done a great job with the TV coverage, so great credit to them and shame to the BBC. I do still think though there needs to be more coverage on the local newses and national news papers etc.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:05 (Ref:503704)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe ToCA could get a deal with a national daily such as the Daily Mirror. Ahem...
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:08 (Ref:503708)   #6
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I smell a bit of sarcasim.....
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:09 (Ref:503709)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
P.S i cant spell the big word i put in my last post!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:40 (Ref:503726)   #8
IanM
Rookie

IanM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the post ST.Im going to stick with this site.I dont know who's idea it was ,but good on them.I'll be able to bring you all the news from Donnington Park as and when it happens.

IM
Old 11 Feb 2003, 21:59 (Ref:503742)   #9
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Autosport coverage off the BTCC last year, was pretty poor. The autosport has gone to much towards formula one now. It needs to go back towards championships like the BTCC and rallycross when they used to get on the front cover. Now hardly nothing other than formula one manages to hit the front cover at all. the motoring news does a great job though, as did the telegraph newspaper.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:15 (Ref:503763)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm with peter s. the telegraph did a good job of ensuring that the btcc was covered, including that end of season supplement. hope they decide to continue their coverage.
daily mirror my arse...
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:39 (Ref:503792)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It's not just BTCC, there's virually no motorsports coverage in any national newspaper. Apart from F1 and maybe the Rally GB that is. The local paper here will occationally include a picture and two line caption of a local driver but it's not what you would call coverage.

From what I remember of the Telgraph end of season review, it was clearly heavily funded by Vauxhall.

I've said this before but it's a sad state of affairs that Team B&Q's various "stories" have probably generated more column inches in the last 2 years than the rest of the series combined.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:44 (Ref:503797)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
does it matter who funded it? the fact was that it existed. vauxhall were the major players anyway in the final race so whoever funded it it was going to be all about them anyway.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:45 (Ref:503800)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I quit agree with Redshoes. Take last Tuesday IMO there where two major motor sport announcement - Ralph Firman signing for Jordan and the offical launch of the Bentley Le Mans Program.

I picked up The Sun at work on Wednesday morning and there was about half a page on Firman and nothing about Bentley, but in the Daily Express, which I read at home, you had a medimum sized report on Bentley and a paragraph on Firman. Try and work that one out.

Sorry for not menetioning the BTCC, but I think it proves the point about how the media works in the UK

Last edited by rdjones; 11 Feb 2003 at 22:51.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:49 (Ref:503806)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the point is that would the Telegraph of bothered reporting on the BTCC at all if Vauxhall hadn't funded it?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:50 (Ref:503809)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
do you really honestly think sun readers give a flying **** about bentley? you'd have to write it in such a way that it was, and it's bad enough trying to make a story of "rich daddy's boy gets f1 drive" let alone a minority race that few people have any interest in.

sorry for putting it so harshly.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:51 (Ref:503810)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I think the point is that would the Telegraph of bothered reporting on the BTCC at all if Vauxhall hadn't funded it?
vauxhall DON'T fund it for general race reports.
actually.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:53 (Ref:503811)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
They would if it were 'our Nige' in the car... Mansell Mania. Purrrleeasseee... but it sold papers to the union jack wearing shaven headed morons.

You seem quite defensive of the Telegraph, B
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:54 (Ref:503815)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't even talking about other race reports, so that's irrelevant.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:56 (Ref:503818)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
well, vauxhall don't fund their touring car coverage. they choose to cover it. a small column, but it's all that's necessary. if something good happens, they'll put in a picture (eg if there was a good one of paul o'neill on fire last year). otherwise there's not the demand or the interest.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:57 (Ref:503819)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Calm down Bella. Whatever the typical Sun reader thinks of Bentley road cars and Bentley owners this was a story about Bentley's Le Mans team and I for one know several Sun readers who are regulars at Le Mans.

You might as well say the same about BMW drivers (no offence) and ask why the Sun bother to report on the Williams F1 team.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:59 (Ref:503822)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
when the sun decides to buy an article about le mans they will do. until then there's too many other sports to be reported on using their pages.
it's just simply not newsworthy.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:02 (Ref:503825)   #22
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yep, much better idea to fill it up with football...
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:02 (Ref:503826)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

Buy ?
Ten minutes rewording the press release and downloading the pictures supplied by Bentley. What is there to 'buy' ?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:04 (Ref:503830)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
they don't have the staff to do that.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:05 (Ref:503831)   #25
Sarah W
Rookie

Sarah W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the Daily Express and it is generally good for mentioning motorsport. They do report any BTCC news.

My local paper, the Eastern Daily Press, has a motorsports feature one day in the week either mentioning local drivers or what's been happening in Karting or at Snetterton. Our local TV news does a feature on the BTCC when its at Snetterton as well.