Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Sep 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3767808)   #226
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
OK, take your "no issue" statement at face value but you do jump onto the tyre supplier pretty readily.

As far as we know, there were no failures today at all, there were however tyres that MAY have punctured or MAY have been overloaded by those teams or which MAY have had some kind of failure. We'll only know once they are fully checked out but certainly one team was blaming itself.

Wrong to say that we never hear the results of forensic checks - we actually often do but I'll agree that we don't always hear the results. First time using the super softs at Sandown and by & large they seemed to work OK.
Blow a tyre at the wrong place on a circuit, lose a car, and maybe lose a person..

Completely agree there are many reasons for a tyre to go down.

The series has built an outstanding driver protection system inside the car, and the one thing that puts them in need of that system are the 4 round black things keeping the car in contact with the road.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 Sep 2017, 08:19 (Ref:3767814)   #227
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Blow a tyre at the wrong place on a circuit, lose a car, and maybe lose a person..

The series has built an outstanding driver protection system inside the car, and the one thing that puts them in need of that system are the 4 round black things keeping the car in contact with the road.
"the one thing" you say? I can think of a vast range of things that put race cars in need of driver protection systems, tyres didn't cause yesterday's turn 9 shunt (although Mr Webb locking up his front tyre could be called a cause but not in the way you mean). Neither did they cause Mozzie's shunt at Bathurst, nor the fatalities we've unfortunately seen in the series.

The round black things ARE the most critical component on any race car as all the other components are connected to the racing surface by the round black things. So tyres need to be taken very seriously and are taken very seriously by teams. If however, teams overload the tyres through suspension settings or pressures then the tyres can be pushed outside their performance envelope and may fail, or be more susceptible to punctures. Similarly, driving over the back of kerbs may lead to punctures, particularly when running a softer tyre at a track for the first time as it probably won't stand up as well to that treatment as the previously used harder tyre.

We'll likely see the odd tyre problem at Bathurst - it's not been uncommon there (across a number of tyre brands and racing series) but teams will always push to the edge and sometimes over the edge and know the risks. As is often the case, the teams that manage their tyres best are likely to see better results, same the world over in motorsport.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3767844)   #228
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:

I have no issue with anyone...

There were tyre failures today that should be investigated.
The #3, the #9, the #88 and the #97 all had failures

We never do hear the results of the forensic checks..
Yawn, holdens seemed to have the problem more then others, so set up is wrong.

Funny the ones you list are all 888 cars etc
Old 17 Sep 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3767847)   #229
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:

so control camber castor, ride eight and tyre pressures, your either clueless or post this crap to troll.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3767848)   #230
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Yawn, holdens seemed to have the problem more then others, so set up is wrong.

Funny the ones you list are all 888 cars etc
The grille badge is irrelevant.

They're all the same car without the panels.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 10:57 (Ref:3767854)   #231
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The grille badge is irrelevant.

They're all the same car without the panels.
nope as freedoms over certain suspension parts.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3767857)   #232
GM10
Veteran

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I woke up at 5 a.m. to watch the race. I was very well rewarded despite the one-hour interruption, great show.

A great proof of maturity from Waters. He's really fast but often too much foul, today he's been perfect. Stanaway is a great driver, here in Europe is quite well known, I look forward to see him full time in Supercars.

Amazing Mostert. Owen did a stupid mistake, Mozzie did a great repair.

Triple Eight very unlucky. Whincup in Sandown is incredibly unfortunated since three years, but now he is the man for the title because SVG is too far in the standings. Impressed by Campbell, he raced against the best in the business and he showed great performance, Porsche did a very good move putting him in its young programme.

Now waiting for Bathurst
Old 17 Sep 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3767872)   #233
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I woke up at 5 a.m. to watch the race. I was very well rewarded despite the one-hour interruption, great show.

A great proof of maturity from Waters. He's really fast but often too much foul, today he's been perfect. Stanaway is a great driver, here in Europe is quite well known, I look forward to see him full time in Supercars.

Amazing Mostert. Owen did a stupid mistake, Mozzie did a great repair.

Triple Eight very unlucky. Whincup in Sandown is incredibly unfortunated since three years, but now he is the man for the title because SVG is too far in the standings. Impressed by Campbell, he raced against the best in the business and he showed great performance, Porsche did a very good move putting him in its young programme.

Now waiting for Bathurst
well said, the red flag was a pain, but the race was good, shame we missed out on 100km though
Old 17 Sep 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3767925)   #234
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as we lost 100km, it's a pity they didn't just ditch the co-drivers and just run the 400km for the main drivers only like this race used to be

It was "retro round" afterall....
Old 17 Sep 2017, 13:24 (Ref:3767935)   #235
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Roland Dane view on RBRA race: We threw it away
Old 17 Sep 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3767942)   #236
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Car75 excluded from results: Whoops

I'm guess that Mr Jones will spend a bit of time getting familiar with the driving time rules. To be fair to Bradley, the time certain finish may well have confused him.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3768050)   #237
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not surprisingly turn 6 is being brought into question. http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/18/...andown-shunts/ There have been some big crashes there in recent years, Will Davison in 2010, Lee Holdsworth in 2014 and James Golding in 2016 spring to mind and obviously the events of the weekend just past.

With only a few years left in the circuit, a major rebuild would be undesirable. But this is section of track that was bypassed by the infield section in the 1980s after the circuit was deemed unsafe by the FIA when Sandown hosted sportscars events. Presuming it still exists, perhaps reactivating the infield section may be a more cost effective solution?
Old 17 Sep 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3768076)   #238
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Not surprisingly turn 6 is being brought into question. http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/18/...andown-shunts/ There have been some big crashes there in recent years, Will Davison in 2010, Lee Holdsworth in 2014 and James Golding in 2016 spring to mind and obviously the events of the weekend just past.

With only a few years left in the circuit, a major rebuild would be undesirable. But this is section of track that was bypassed by the infield section in the 1980s after the circuit was deemed unsafe by the FIA when Sandown hosted sportscars events. Presuming it still exists, perhaps reactivating the infield section may be a more cost effective solution?
Google maps would suggest that part of the track is gone. or at least buried which in really poor repair
Old 17 Sep 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3768079)   #239
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post

The infield section was added to extend the track to the minimum length required by the FIA at the time for the Group C cars, it had nothing do with safety concerns over turn 6.

The infield section was ripped up in a number of places last time I saw it (a few years ago) and by now I'd suggest that there wouldn't be much of it left.

Agree with you on the likelihood of turn 6 getting seriously modified with only a couple of years left for the track. Any such changes would need a vast amount of earth works etc. Ultimately, there WERE shunts there on the weekend but all the safety gear did it's job (as it did last year too) so humans were well protected.

No doubt they'll look at the corner safety gear after the weekend but it's hard to see what they could do differently.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 23:29 (Ref:3768105)   #240
Phillip Ireland
Rookie

Phillip Ireland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the fastest corner on the circuit to be bordered by a trap, rather than a downhill grass slope. The 90deg bend at the bottom of the esses has a trap, and that's a second gear corner. I'd have thought the track safety guidelines would have had a browse after the Golding crash there last year, with a similar result of race time lost.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 23:47 (Ref:3768108)   #241
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely it needs modification just from a liability standpoint. I concede that everyone walked away after going into the wall on the weekend (a testament to COTF and circuit safety) but what happens when there's a serious injury and nothing has been done to the corner after its proven to be a high incident "zone"? Possible litigation?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 02:28 (Ref:3768133)   #242
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Im still thinking that the whole 54 laps thing is dodgy.

Technically the race distance need only be 82 laps, no way that both drivers can reach the 1/3race distance in that case

the rule is not smart and not clear
Old 18 Sep 2017, 02:41 (Ref:3768134)   #243
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Cam and Stanaway, a huge effort and what a race to get your first win.
I had a good feeling about this car after Stanaway's 2016 efforts.
I did put some cash on them for the win - only wish I had done it before they put the thing on pole.

Not upset to see the 2 Redbull cars finish down the order, great for the c'ship but did feel for Reynolds who had been looking strong.
Pither did well in the other Erebus car too.

Shame about losing so many laps due to the Tas crash. I hate timed races, though this length of delay is rare.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 02:45 (Ref:3768135)   #244
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So has Sandown been confirmed that it will be torn down in a few years?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3768146)   #245
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Seeing as we lost 100km, it's a pity they didn't just ditch the co-drivers and just run the 400km for the main drivers only like this race used to be

It was "retro round" afterall....

To make it really retro call it the 400 but run only 360 kilometres.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3768148)   #246
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Car75 excluded from results: Whoops

I'm guess that Mr Jones will spend a bit of time getting familiar with the driving time rules. To be fair to Bradley, the time certain finish may well have confused him.
Story Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 18 Sep 2017, 04:12 (Ref:3768149)   #247
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post

To make it really retro call it the 400 but run only 360 kilometres.
Norton 360? There's your naming rights taken care of
Old 18 Sep 2017, 04:21 (Ref:3768151)   #248
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Im still thinking that the whole 54 laps thing is dodgy.

Technically the race distance need only be 82 laps, no way that both drivers can reach the 1/3race distance in that case

the rule is not smart and not clear
I actually think that the rule is clear but with time-certain races having such a small window to play with, then you could argue that the rule is no longer smart.

Those rules on driving time have been in the regs for a very long time but the big change has been the time certain finishes and those time certain windows being rather small.

If the race started earlier and the time certain finish time was a bit later, even a long delay like yesterday's race suspension might not reduce the number of laps, so we'd get an actual 500km race.

Most of the teams were onto it and got their co-driver running done then hoiked them out of the car, BJR tried something different and out-thunk themselves in the process.

The problem to me is the time-certain approach rather than the driving time rules.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 04:24 (Ref:3768152)   #249
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I actually think that the rule is clear but with time-certain races having such a small window to play with, then you could argue that the rule is no longer smart.

Those rules on driving time have been in the regs for a very long time but the big change has been the time certain finishes and those time certain windows being rather small.

If the race started earlier and the time certain finish time was a bit later, even a long delay like yesterday's race suspension might not reduce the number of laps, so we'd get an actual 500km race.

Most of the teams were onto it and got their co-driver running done then hoiked them out of the car, BJR tried something different and out-thunk themselves in the process.

The problem to me is the time-certain approach rather than the driving time rules.

agree with you, they are clear for full races, but dont cope well with time certain or even red flagged races
Old 18 Sep 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3768156)   #250
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the race finish so early due to noise constraints?