Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Jul 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1953114)   #1
ludwig
Rookie

ludwig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bobby Muir

Another great driver who should have gone further . He competed very strongly in US f5000 in 72 and 73 with limited funds . Then he did UK Atlantic with the Birrana . In 76 at Mugello F2 he qualified front row and led early driving a private Chevron B35 bda against the factory BMW and Renault teams with many F1 guys . Something to tell the grandkids l think .
Old 5 Jul 2007, 07:54 (Ref:1954908)   #2
ludwig
Rookie

ludwig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bobs performance at Mugello in 76 was startling . The BDX was outdated against the modern BMW and the V6 Renault engines and the private team was no match for the factory and pro teams . To qualify second and lead early was a exciting performance . The 30 car field included some pretty hot names Jabouille , Arnoux , Tambay , Leclere , Colombo , Riberiro , Martini , Flammini , Rosberg , Binder , Hoffman , Ertl , Brancatelli , Ludwig , Sullivan and Jaussaud . Can anyone else remember the performance or any other big drives Bob had .
Old 5 Jul 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1955047)   #3
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree on this re Bob Muir and Mugello. I remember being staggered at the time at this peformance, which I think was 'genuine' and not a fluke/mistake at all. I wonder why he couldn't repeat it at other circuits. IIRC he had done some decent testing there before the event, so was used to the track, which he wasn't at all other venues I guess that year.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:11 (Ref:1961409)   #4
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Came back to Australia in the late 70s and raced touring cars for a while. He raced a very famous car, a Ford Falcon with sponsorship from the Army Reserve. Unfortunately the car never performed properly and it was sold after a couple of years.

Bob did a couple of Bathurst 1000s before going on to own a motorcycle team.

He's racing again - in the Australian Motor Racing Series in OzBOSS (Big Open Single Seaters.) He's driving an ex F3000 Reynard with a Lexus 4 litre quad-cam V8.

Kramer
Old 21 Jul 2007, 04:23 (Ref:1968825)   #5
rms
Rookie

rms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig
Can anyone else remember the performance or any other big drives Bob had .
Front row, Nogaro '76 ???
Old 22 Jul 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1970023)   #6
rorym
Rookie

Australia
Maryborough Qld
rorym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember working for Frank Matcih and Bob test crashing the A51 F5000 first moncocque tub in Aust made Commomwealth Aircraft Corp into the bridge at Warwick Farm...does that count??..I used to walk past it at the Cremorne shop every morning...Frank used to say..see?.told you it would work...had a small dent in the passenger side right at the driver in the tub...Bob got out and walked away..Frank just said..**** happens...which was the LAST thing I woud have expected him to say..He was more concerned that Bob was OK and the tub was not compromised in any way. I think he was prouder of that wreck than any of his wins in any race.
R
Old 30 Jun 2016, 07:18 (Ref:3655885)   #7
Bobmuir
Rookie

Bobmuir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
Another great driver who should have gone further . He competed very strongly in US f5000 in 72 and 73 with limited funds . Then he did UK Atlantic with the Birrana . In 76 at Mugello F2 he qualified front row and led early driving a private Chevron B35 bda against the factory BMW and Renault teams with many F1 guys . Something to tell the grandkids l think .
Rather belated I am unsure of how all this works However Thank You for your Thoughts
Old 30 Jun 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3655888)   #8
Bobmuir
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorym View Post
I remember working for Frank Matcih and Bob test crashing the A51 F5000 first moncocque tub in Aust made Commomwealth Aircraft Corp into the bridge at Warwick Farm...does that count??..I used to walk past it at the Cremorne shop every morning...Frank used to say..see?.told you it would work...had a small dent in the passenger side right at the driver in the tub...Bob got out and walked away..Frank just said..**** happens...which was the LAST thing I woud have expected him to say..He was more concerned that Bob was OK and the tub was not compromised in any way. I think he was prouder of that wreck than any of his wins in any race.
R
Frank and I had a slight difference of opinion as to the cause of this accident I maintained that the wing had collapsed I had experience of this or the tyre or wheel failed Frank had the franchise for the wheels etc He maintained non of these things could be so We agreed to disagree and to his credit we never discussed it again Frank suffered electrocution on his boat he recalled that his son was rowing out to join and he was terrified that the young guy on boarding would suffer the same fate Fortunately He managed to extricate himself He called me from the hospital asking me to stand by if he was unable to drive Apologies for rambling seemed like a good thing at the time
Old 30 Jun 2016, 07:37 (Ref:3655889)   #9
Bobmuir
Rookie

Rather belated I notice the date you and others placed comments Thank You much appreciated
Old 8 Aug 2016, 04:29 (Ref:3664235)   #10
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been trying to find out by other forums who were "Reg Papps & Sons" who were on the beautiful Lola T300.
So far unsuccessfully

We're they the owners, sponsors or what?
Old 16 Sep 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3672761)   #11
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/04/15/bob-muir/

Hers a 5 year old article on Bob with a short clip of his reynard at Oran Park, which is now a housing estate.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 06:08 (Ref:3674670)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think, perhaps we should have acknowledged that the man himself posted 3 months ago, and wished I'd noted this before.

Bob, many thanks for your responses to our earlier posters, and any further anecdotes and/or contributions would be most welcome.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!