Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 16 Mar 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3042328)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Speakers for a classic

I want to fit some new speakers in a classic car. Ideally two in the centre console either side of the radio and two on shelf just behind the only two seats.

I'm looking for small, descrete and good, but I'm struggling to find anything because research gets swamped by speakers suitable for Vauxhall Novas and pumping out tunes with banging donks.

They aren't used that much, but I would like something good because the engine tends to win in any battle!

Does anyone have any recommendations, or experiences?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3044192)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I put a pair of JBL 6"x9" in my old XJ6 with a Sony head unit and I could very nearly blow the bloody doors off!

Seriously, I find it easier to narrow the field of choice by searching under the size and power rating you want, so have a measure up first. The depth of the space is also important because some speakers are nearly as deep as they're wide. Also don't take any notice of the pictures on the web, they're nearly always with the cover grills removed and look much more garish than when installed with cover.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 03:05 (Ref:3045074)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Adam, may I ask what kind of car it is going in? Maybe a couple of photos of the interior?

I'm not an expert but above average with car stereos. I can suggest several options for you.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3067557)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I recon that I will get some JBL jobbies as mentioned. I will wire up some 6x9" on the parcel shelf behind the seats for the longer boring motorway journeys, but can be removed.

JHamilton here is a picture:
Old 30 Apr 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3067637)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Ooooooo... an E-type! That yours Adam?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3067654)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yeah, series 2. Obviously the radio is the least important bit, but I want to get it sorted for Le Mans...
Old 4 May 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3069398)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry didn't see this until now. Are those 6.5" in the kick panels? Before I added anything in the back I would raise the front stage. Installing an efficient set of components, powered by your radio, with the tweeter in the upper dash or A-pillar area will yeild better results.

If you still need rear fill, I would use 6.5"s as the have (roughly) the same output as a 6x9 and a much smaller hole. If you are using the speaker grilles, I suggest something from one of Boston's lines. The styling is very conservative with a bunch of chrome and crap.
Old 4 May 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3069439)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Conservative is good. As you can tell it isn't a priority, but every year there is always a few long journeys where distance quickly is a requirement and that means dull-routes.
If I could get decent sound without the need for rears that would be ideal. Trouble is there is a little bit of noise coming from the front!

Good point on 6.5", just a good set it better than bigger but cheap.
Old 6 May 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3070154)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Alternatively, I have a pair of JBL 6x9's, a nice punchy Sony head unit, a Sony CD changer and all the cabling sitting in a box. I took them out of my old XJ6 when I scrapped it for parts and was going to put them in the motorhome, but couldn't be arsed. You could make me an offer :-)
Old 14 May 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3074348)   #10
Mike Wroe
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
Mike Wroe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I share your problem Adam ( plus having a wife who is a Radio 4 addict) I'll be very interested in what you ultimately decide on and how well they work. From a lead on another thread on here I have purchased a period correct radio with an i pod connection, so now I just need to get the sound out and be able to hear it.
Old 14 May 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3074429)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Alternatively, I have a pair of JBL 6x9's, a nice punchy Sony head unit, a Sony CD changer and all the cabling sitting in a box. I took them out of my old XJ6 when I scrapped it for parts and was going to put them in the motorhome, but couldn't be arsed. You could make me an offer :-)
I don't need the head unit, or CD player; i'm getting rid of these for and old style radio, updated for ipodivity. Now the speakers, which ones are they? GTO-something?
Old 14 May 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3074431)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wroe View Post
As I share your problem Adam ( plus having a wife who is a Radio 4 addict) I'll be very interested in what you ultimately decide on and how well they work. From a lead on another thread on here I have purchased a period correct radio with an i pod connection, so now I just need to get the sound out and be able to hear it.
I'll let you know. I'll have to fit one soon as I've taken the old one out! Half way there.
Old 14 May 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3074485)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't need the head unit, or CD player; i'm getting rid of these for and old style radio, updated for ipodivity. Now the speakers, which ones are they? GTO-something?
Yeh, the GTO Series..... these ones:
Attached Thumbnails
jbl-gto-series-935e.jpg