Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 6 Jan 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2608830)   #1
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Leigh Trevail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kemp Place. Harry

Motor racing history is full of the names of drivers that raced for the fun of it. Their names crop up in various articles and results list time and time again; but in truth very little is known about them. Researching these gentlemen (and the occasional lady) is extremely difficult, so what follows is a bit sketchy but may be of interest to someone.

Born in 1900 Harry Kemp Place and in the 1950’s was the proprietor of the very attractive Evergreen Service Station, London Rd, Stanway , Essex. This was built in an Arts & Craft rural revival style and featured a thatched workshop and petrol pump canopy, what would Health & Safety make of that I wonder !

He took part in Motor Cycle Trials as early as 1925 and competed in motor races at Donnington and Brighton in 1936 and Brooklands 1939, this was in an S.S.100 (CYB 304). Harry Kemp Place was an officer in the Navy, when he joined or what rank he held is not known.

In the early 1950’s he raced a Healey Silverstone (LGP 745) and later an XK 120 (UNO 120). He also took part in various rallies with fellow Essex driver Bert Westwood. Along with these cars he owned and raced various Bentleys, Bugattis and an ex Parry Thomas Flat Iron Special.

As time went on Harry’s interest turned towards Hydroplane racing, and had success with his two boats Clipper and Firefly. He died from a heart attack whilst sailing of West Mersea, it is thought that this was during 1977.

As I said at the start this is very sketchy but it may be of help to somebody!
Old 8 Jan 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2609940)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fascinating stuff, Leigh, thank you!
Old 15 Feb 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2633879)   #3
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Navyflier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harry Kemp Place

Harry was a great friend of mine. I believe he was born in Mexico. I first met him in 1949 when he took part with the Flat Iron Special in a Sprint Meeting held by the East Anglian Car Club on the then disused Wethersfield Airfield in 1949. I always recall his story of selling this special which he had displayed on the forecourt of the Evergreens Garage. He said the prospective buyer turned up in an Irving Flying jacket and thick soled shoes. The car was extremely difficult to get into and the guy struggled unsuccessfully for some time without success until Harry demonstrated that you had to stand on the seat, slot one leg down by the steering wheel, then cross the other leg and slowly ease your way in. After about ten minutes the customer managed to get seated. Harry then said "He had to buy it. He couldn't get out!"
On another occassion he was driving me up to Silverstone in his E Type Jag when we were overtaken at great speed by an unidentified car. Harry said "I'm going to catch that so and so" and set off in pursuit but without success. When we arrived in the Paddock we realised why when we found that it was the Rover Alvis being driven by Jack Fairman.
There was also a story ( I believe to be true) of his taking part with Bert Westwood in the RAC Rally when they decided to retire after a particularly rough section in Wales and spent the night at a hotel. However, Bert, who was particularly keen on Driving Tests insisted on carrying on to those parts of the Rally and taking part. It was rumoured that they won an award?????
Old 31 Aug 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3449262)   #4
Nawang
Rookie

Nawang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nawang

Hi, I have some pictures of Harry outside his Garage with a Mr. Brett and I think one of the mechanics.It has some early Bentleys and a Jaguar ss100 .
I have also got a picture of him racing a Frazer Nash on Brighton sea front.
He had close connections with Mr. Brett and raced some of his cars.I have all the registration numbers,but unsure as to should I put them on here?
I am new to this site so only learning,but I do have some interesting history about H. K. Place and some interest in this.
Old 17 Nov 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3591059)   #5
Rupertlt1
Racer

Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See Healey Silverstone (LGP 745) at Bottisham speed trials in 1952:

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/gq321rb8681

RGDS RLT
Old 11 Dec 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3597150)   #6
Nawang
Rookie

Nawang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harry Kemp Place

ok,just to add that the E type that is mentioned on here was a very early roadster supplied new to a Mr. J. Brett ,who had close connections with Harry Kemp Place,and William Lyons(Jaguar).
Would be interesting to hear and learn more about them.......
Old 11 Dec 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3597172)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
(Sir) William Lyons was the co-founder of Jaguar (originally called SS Cars).