Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jan 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2609456)   #1
Atle Gulbrandsen
Rookie

Norway
Oslo, Norway
Atle Gulbrandsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
24h Nürburgring/VLN

Hi

I'm new to this forum, and wonders if there are some VLN/24h Nürburgring forum or news-sites in English.

All I can find is in German, but maybe this can be a place to post news/rumours in English?

I'm going to drive my sixth (partial) season in the VLN and the 24 hour race this season. I drive an Audi TT 2,0 TFSI in the SP3T-class for the Norwegian Audi Dealer Team "Møller Bil Motorsport". Check out www.mollerbil-motorsport.no

There are a lot of interesting news before this season as:
-Factory BMW M3
-New GT3 BMW Z4
-Alpina GT3 (so three different BMWs will fight for victory?)
-The Audi R8's are going for victory
-Porsche will be strong as always
-Vipers, Corvettes and Ford GT will be there I guess
-The Lexus LFA from Japan, maybe?
-Falken Nissan
-Some old DTM-cars?
-What about other GT3 cars as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Jaguar etc.?
-Mercedes?
-Will the Sciroccos return in SP3T (our class)?

Are there some other news before this season?

For me the VLN and the 24 hour race at the Nürburgring is one of the most interesting championships in the world. The circuit is the greatest in the world, there are almost as many spectators as Le Mans, the mix of cars is unique and the race is BIG in Germany.

But it's unfortunately not so big outside Germany, but it's getting bigger. I hope the race will become more international in the future, and I think the focus on the GT3-cars is the right way to go.

Let's post some VLN-news here!

Best regards
Atle Gulbrandsen
www.atlegulbrandsen.com
Old 7 Jan 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2609503)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Beautiful car you drive there. I could take a look at in detail at the last VLN round when it was parked at Hohe Acht

Don't get your hopes up for the Ford GT or the Zak Viper, the former is for sale and Zakspeed is suppossedly bankrupt.

There is however a rumor about Farnbacher having plans to run two GT3-spec Ferraris in the 24 and some VLN races.

From the Porsche-camp: new 997 GT3 Rs for Manthey (two), Frikadelli and Mamerow, IIRC.

BlackFalcon will have a pair of Audi R8s. Last fall they said that buying these cars would only make sense if they didn't have to run against the factory R8s all the time, so that might mean reduced programms for Abt and Phoenix, probably with the exception of the 24hours and the odd preparation races before.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2609545)   #3
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait a week (Hmm whats over at the NEC next week?!?!)) and there will be some very interesting info regarding a major manufacturer also running a semi works car!

Unrelated, i see you mentioned the Falken Nissan, anyone got any news on that? is it going to be the New r35? It would be great to see that car in action
Old 8 Jan 2010, 03:36 (Ref:2609847)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So why would the Astra be allowed and not the Mercedes or the Audi? Seeing as they are all silhouettes..

I'm surprised there hasnt been no Falken R35 GT-R as yet, maybe this year?

I hope the Farnbacher Ferraris come to fruition, it would be interesting to see how they fare.

Should be a good year for the VLN and the 24hr race with BMW joining in at the front.

Nice Audi TT you are racing there Atle Gulbrandsen, good luck this year!
Old 8 Jan 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2609917)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So why would the Astra be allowed and not the Mercedes or the Audi? Seeing as they are all silhouettes..
It's a leftover from the time when silhouettes were allowed. And seeing that the car rarely is a threat for the overall win and the competitors rarely complain too much about it, VLN has no real reason to throw it out. Being a fan favourite might also help...
Old 8 Jan 2010, 09:40 (Ref:2609920)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It's a leftover from the time when silhouettes were allowed. And seeing that the car rarely is a threat for the overall win and the competitors rarely complain too much about it, VLN has no real reason to throw it out. Being a fan favourite might also help...
Yep

If I remember correct the Schall Opel Astra is allowed in VLN but not in the 24h race. Or is Schall not entering 24h race because it would not survive the race?
Old 7 Jan 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2609586)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
DTM cars (silhouettes) are not allowed in the 24h race.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2609663)   #8
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The Astra is. SRO aren't the only ones who know how to grandfather cars in .

Regarding Falken: Their website doesn't say anything about 2010, but since they are a sponsor I'd expect them to be back with something.

Also we'll see a pair of GT4 Ginettas this year.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2610097)   #9
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Is this a new rulling? In previous years we've had the Audi tt-r as well?!!?!?

I alway got the impression the N24 pretty much had a class for whatever you were running. Even if they banned your car you could still race it ( like the V8 Zakspeed Viper
Old 8 Jan 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2610107)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Even if they banned your car you could still
allow you to race it as long as no factory started to make a stink of it...

In the E1XP-class you are always at the complete mercy of the organizers
Old 8 Jan 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2610131)   #11
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post
I alway got the impression the N24 pretty much had a class for whatever you were running. Even if they banned your car you could still race it ( like the V8 Zakspeed Viper
Actually, they pretty much changed the rules to make it illegal. It could only get back in by running a smaller engine.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2610011)   #12
Atle Gulbrandsen
Rookie

Norway
Oslo, Norway
Some news in German:
Alzen: http://www.vln.de/newsausgabe.de.php?id=2028
Manthey: http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?...=4694&Itemid=1

Try http://translate.google.com
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2610930)   #13
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whenever a take peek at the Results of the past 3 or so 24 Hour Races at the Nurburgring, this question always pops up in me head, which is the Leading Class in the event??? Honestly, its a bit of throw-up between SP7 and SP9...
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:45 (Ref:2610943)   #14
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramatta_Power View Post
Whenever a take peek at the Results of the past 3 or so 24 Hour Races at the Nurburgring, this question always pops up in me head, which is the Leading Class in the event??? Honestly, its a bit of throw-up between SP7 and SP9...
SP9 was introduced only last year for GT3 cars. SP7 and SP8 were slowed down to be on a similar level to SP9.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2610948)   #15
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
SP9 was introduced only last year for GT3 cars. SP7 and SP8 were slowed down to be on a similar level to SP9.
Thanks Dead-Eye. I'm really looking forward to see VW Scirocco on the Ring for the 2010 version of the 24 Hour Race. For a hatchback, it packs a vehement punch. I think VW will send a 3-team strong pack of Sciroccos for the 2010 24 Hour of Nurburgring and they will run in the AT Class as they did in 2009.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2611011)   #16
Atle Gulbrandsen
Rookie

Norway
Oslo, Norway
What's the AT-class?

I raced against the Sciroccos in SP3T last year, and wonders if they will be back in that class.

Atle Gulbrandsen

Last edited by Aysedasi; 25 Jan 2010 at 06:46. Reason: website url removed
Old 10 Jan 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2611016)   #17
Speed-King
Veteran

I think Paramattza Power is refering to the natural gas driven Sciroccos in the AT class for Turbocharged cars running on Alternative fuels.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2612721)   #18
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atle Gulbrandsen View Post
What's the AT-class?

I raced against the Sciroccos in SP3T last year, and wonders if they will be back in that class.

Atle Gulbrandsen
www.atlegulbrandsen.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think Paramattza Power is refering to the natural gas driven Sciroccos in the AT class for Turbocharged cars running on Alternative fuels.
Yeah, thats the one, a class with mix of Diesel powered machines. Alte Gulbrandsen, I have to ask, whats the "Green Hell" a.k.a Nurburgring like other than being an incredible challenge???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanjas View Post
Yup, Scirocco GT24 is pretty good. But full factory support, factory drivers that also adds a great deal of performance. OPC supported two Phoenix Astras in 2008, and they did pretty well, also. For a 3T class, anyways.

They should let loose GT2 class or exclude it completely. Choking GT2's to enable GT3 class fighting chance for overall is pointless - IMHO.
It brings out the vehicles true competitive edge, to the point it was not far off the GT3 cars Lap Times. I guess VW see it as a great promotional tool for the new model and it sure as hell is (at the moment) a success. I agree, performance balancing(another term for making faster cars Heavier, Less Efficient, Less Competitive and therefore Slower) is a pain. It shouldn't be the teams with more agile vehicles who have to pick up the slack. They have a more loose interpretation of it in the Dubai 24 Hour but since no GT2 Cars enter the race, they haven't used it yet.

Last edited by Parramatta_Power; 13 Jan 2010 at 13:13.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2612718)   #19
nemanjas
Rookie

Serbia & Montenegro
Belgrado
nemanjas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramatta_Power View Post
Thanks Dead-Eye. I'm really looking forward to see VW Scirocco on the Ring for the 2010 version of the 24 Hour Race. For a hatchback, it packs a vehement punch. I think VW will send a 3-team strong pack of Sciroccos for the 2010 24 Hour of Nurburgring and they will run in the AT Class as they did in 2009.
Yup, Scirocco GT24 is pretty good. But full factory support, factory drivers that also adds a great deal of performance. OPC supported two Phoenix Astras in 2008, and they did pretty well, also. For a 3T class, anyways.

They should let loose GT2 class or exclude it completely. Choking GT2's to enable GT3 class fighting chance for overall is pointless - IMHO.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2612936)   #20
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanjas View Post
That's the point. I'm pretty sure they want to get rid of GT2 eventually and make GT3 the top class, but they want to give the teams that purchased an RSR for a lot of money a chance to use it a while longer.
Old 19 May 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3076531)   #21
jo1998sh
Rookie

United Kingdom
jo1998sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big crash with a seat and the gembala mclaren
Old 27 May 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3079749)   #22
blovell
Rookie

blovell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic 2012 Nurburgring 24hr Video

Just watched an amazing video of the Nurburgring 24hr Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yk0F2hMBOI

It really captured the atmosphere.
Old 13 May 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3246673)   #23
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can't wait for the race, have Monday off so I can actually watch the end this time! Finishes early Monday morning here!

Any live streams announced yet? Maybe for the duration of the weekend a sticky can be made with streaming details so you don't have to troll though this thread to find them?
Old 13 May 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3246940)   #24
Babapapa
Racer

Germany
Gelsenkirchen
Babapapa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Can't wait for the race, have Monday off so I can actually watch the end this time! Finishes early Monday morning here!

Any live streams announced yet? Maybe for the duration of the weekend a sticky can be made with streaming details so you don't have to troll though this thread to find them?
Probably there will be a live stream of the race at:
www.24h-rennen.de
http://tv.sport1.de/player/player.php?id=s765428

The German sports-channel www.sport1.de make also a live-report of parts of the race. you can see the race at their homepage or at www.zattoo.com (> sport1). I think you have to use proxtube or something else "to watch from Germany."

Sport 1 will show:
Quote:
Freitag, 17. Mai 2013:
16:00 – 17:30 Uhr Live
20:00 – 23:54 Uhr Live

Samstag, 18. Mai 2013:
11:45 – 12:30 Uhr Live
17:15 – 18:55 Uhr Live

Sonntag, 19. Mai 2013:
16:00 – 19:00 Uhr Live
00:00 – 00:30 Uhr Live

Montag, 20. Mai 2013:
07:00 – 11:00 Uhr Live
13:00 – 18:00 Uhr Live
Nevertheless I think there will be no coverage at night, because of the darkness at the Nordschleife. But if you are there, at parts of the racetrack in the wilderness of the Eifel there is no webconnection for live-timing. Live-information of the race is everytime a kind of mystery - if you are there, at home or in the press-center.

Sometimes you read days later in the web, what happens to a car, which quit the race.

Btw. I won a ticket for the Nissan Race Camp to survive the rain. Fine.

Last edited by Babapapa; 13 May 2013 at 21:15.
Old 13 May 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3246943)   #25
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm hoping for a radio signal of either Radio Le Mans or VLN at the back of the track, but that's probably futile.