Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Will you be attending the International Sports Car Weekend at COTA?
Yes 21 31.34%
No 45 67.16%
Maybe so 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Sep 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3304085)   #51
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Does anyone know if they broadcast the race on FM locally at the track? Since it has been a while since I've been to a race that RLM broadcasted (last one would have been Le Mans but that was FM) does anyone know their current frequency?
Probably not... http://circuitoftheamericas.com/prohibited-items

L.P.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 05:24 (Ref:3304096)   #52
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on my experience with the V8SC weekend at COTA, it's cheaper and faster to simply park the car at the private parking lots before entering the COTA. The "budget" COTA parking is just as far from the main grand stands and costs more. The private lot charged us something like $15 cash for a day.

By the way, first post.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3304271)   #53
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Based on my experience with the V8SC weekend at COTA, it's cheaper and faster to simply park the car at the private parking lots before entering the COTA. The "budget" COTA parking is just as far from the main grand stands and costs more. The private lot charged us something like $15 cash for a day.

By the way, first post.

$15 a day is what CoTA is charging, also.

Good tip for those planning on buying tickets at the gate, day of.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 15 Sep 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3304274)   #54
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: FM radio signal ... the rule say: "Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees, balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)"

I think this is more aimed at giant boomboxes. I don't see how a tiny portable pocket-sized FM radio would annoy anyone unless you threw it at them.

In fact, you could probably get one past the gate guards simply by sticking it in your pocket.

I'd email the track about a radio broadcast.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3304315)   #55
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

By the way, first post.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 15 Sep 2013, 18:53 (Ref:3304341)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

By the way, first post.
Yes, welcome indeed!
Old 15 Sep 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3304389)   #57
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
$15 a day is what CoTA is charging, also.

Good tip for those planning on buying tickets at the gate, day of.
I believe they don't have a 1-day parking ticket, only the three day $45 parking ticket, while I intend to visit only for one day or two.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3304398)   #58
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Astonishing collection of banned items. Sad reflection of today's society, on a whole array of levels.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3304400)   #59
stampchez
Rookie

stampchez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cash parking will be $20 per day.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3304433)   #60
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Astonishing collection of banned items. Sad reflection of today's society, on a whole array of levels.
Yes, quite. And you should sort of be glad you decided not to attend... the US has become a bit of a police state as of late.

I mean you can't even bring your bike... really?
Old 15 Sep 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3304439)   #61
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I have trouble picturing the traditional sportscar fan being happy with this no coolers and easy-ups. It doesn't mention inflatable amazon women dolls but you just know those won't be allowed either
Old 15 Sep 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3304452)   #62
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
MWM confirms the fiawec.com stream is not blocked to those in the U.S. This is great for those who mute the commercials!
Old 15 Sep 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3304458)   #63
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Yes, quite. And you should sort of be glad you decided not to attend... the US has become a bit of a police state as of late.

I mean you can't even bring your bike... really?
I love the freedom you get at places like Spa and Le Mans, but by the same token having seen footage from Watkins Glen or Sebring in the 1970s see that things can get seriously out of hand.

Main thing here that rankled was the "thou shalt not bring your own food". I like good food, and looking at a lot of sporting venues (and yes Silverstone, I'm looking right at you) the food on offer is a disgrace, and I quite like being able to bring my own - being told I can't causes a hackle to rise.

I'm a walker these days rather than biker, but I can see why allowing a bike in there would add a lot to people's experience of the track; essentially I'd say police it so people behave considerately, don't police it by banning it.

Overall however the banned list sounded a lot like killing joy. I still kind of wish I'd sorted those flights to Texas (although London Open House next weekend means there's plenty to keep me otherwise occupied) but given the free thinking atmosphere that Austin and SXSW conjures up it just seems a real shame that COTA is coming across as a little bit of a killjoy.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3304467)   #64
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The prohibited item list is a holdover from the F1 race and concerts they hold there, which makes sense with 100k people or a packed ampitheater. As far as bringing in food, feel free to conceal some snacks/sandwiches in your backpack. They will check it but not that thoroughly. But definitely no coolers allowed. You gotta buy the expensive beer & mixers there. Oh yeah, sneaking in a flask should work.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3304470)   #65
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I love the freedom you get at places like Spa and Le Mans, but by the same token having seen footage from Watkins Glen or Sebring in the 1970s see that things can get seriously out of hand.

Main thing here that rankled was the "thou shalt not bring your own food". I like good food, and looking at a lot of sporting venues (and yes Silverstone, I'm looking right at you) the food on offer is a disgrace, and I quite like being able to bring my own - being told I can't causes a hackle to rise.

I'm a walker these days rather than biker, but I can see why allowing a bike in there would add a lot to people's experience of the track; essentially I'd say police it so people behave considerately, don't police it by banning it.

Overall however the banned list sounded a lot like killing joy. I still kind of wish I'd sorted those flights to Texas (although London Open House next weekend means there's plenty to keep me otherwise occupied) but given the free thinking atmosphere that Austin and SXSW conjures up it just seems a real shame that COTA is coming across as a little bit of a killjoy.
Will the London Open House be showcasing 20 Fenchurch Street, the aptly dubbed "fryscraper" that managed to melt some bloke's Jag?

And I agree with Eric - all of this banned nonsense is a holdover from the F1 event. They don't check your bags carefully at all - basically they just feel around one or two compartments without even looking and send you on your way.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3304688)   #66
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
The prohibited item list is a holdover from the F1 race and concerts they hold there, which makes sense with 100k people or a packed ampitheater. As far as bringing in food, feel free to conceal some snacks/sandwiches in your backpack. They will check it but not that thoroughly. But definitely no coolers allowed. You gotta buy the expensive beer & mixers there. Oh yeah, sneaking in a flask should work.
I bought myself a $8 southwest hot dog sandwich at the V8SC weekend. I thought it was going to be a total rip off, but I actually liked it and thought I got my money's worth...
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3304788)   #67
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Is anyone planning to go to the circuit early on Sunday morning and driving from downtown? Like get there at or before 8am? If someone is planning to do that and would welcome a stranger in their car I would pay you back with a few beers at the circuit or drinks downtown the night before.

I've got a ride but it doesn't get there until 9am or so and I don't want to miss the autograph session. Was planning to get in the Audi line pretty early.

Just incase, what other transportation options are there from downtown? How far is it? Any estimates on how much a cab might cost?
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3304792)   #68
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Would someone who has already been to COTA be interested in putting together a spectator FAQ? For example:

Best photo locations.
Best viewing locations in general.
Any interesting or recommended food options at the circuit?
How much does beer cost?
How long does it take to walk from one end to the other, are there shuttles?
How far is it from downtown and what public transportation options are there?

Anything else you can think of. Thanks.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3304846)   #69
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Would someone who has already been to COTA be interested in putting together a spectator FAQ? For example:

Best photo locations.
Turn 1 or The Esses
Turn 1 or The Esses (I always liked turns 16-18 as well)
Don't pass up on the paellas if they have them (they weren't at the Rolex race but it was to die for at the USGP). The pizza lines are ridiculous, and don't go for the fried stuff - the oil will give you a heart attack and it's rather disgusting.
How much does beer cost?
I have no idea.
By one end to the other I'd assume you mean Turn 11 to the main grandstands. At least 30 minutes on foot... I spent more time walking than watching at the Grand-Am race.
Refer to the OP!

That's my job... and my job ONLY! :P

Fixed.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3304861)   #70
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I have a question... does anyone see this program listed on FS1 on their Cable or Sat. box? I scrolled to Sunday and saw nothing listed. Hopefully its just waiting on an update for the listings but just curious.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3304882)   #71
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I have a question... does anyone see this program listed on FS1 on their Cable or Sat. box? I scrolled to Sunday and saw nothing listed. Hopefully its just waiting on an update for the listings but just curious.
My thoughts exactly - I have AT&T U Verse and searched under FIA World Endurance Championship and the only thing coming up was recorded to day: an hour highlight of Sao Paulo. Nevertheless, I keep my fingers crossed - I set the entire day of September 22 on FS1 to record so if it's not there it isn't happening!
Old 16 Sep 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3304913)   #72
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
My thoughts exactly - I have AT&T U Verse and searched under FIA World Endurance Championship and the only thing coming up was recorded to day: an hour highlight of Sao Paulo. Nevertheless, I keep my fingers crossed - I set the entire day of September 22 on FS1 to record so if it's not there it isn't happening!
I may have to do the same.

Old 17 Sep 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3304999)   #73
Breitling24
Veteran

Quote:

Best photo locations.
How much does beer cost?

I know Wild Bubba's Wild Game Grill (featured on "Hamburger Paradise" on the Travel Channel) is very close to the track..

Old 17 Sep 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3305096)   #74
leftandright
Rookie

United States
Central TX
leftandright should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, from T1 down thru all the esses to T11 hairpin, all very good viewing. On the other side of track over by observation tower, hillside to view T19 and below the pedestrian bridge on inside of the start of carousel turn T16, nice grassy spot to watch them accelerating into the carousel. Should be a couple pit walks I think I saw on the scedule, always cool. Gotta see that Toyota, and the Audi (although have seen it already in action at the Petit). First post btw...
Old 17 Sep 2013, 10:47 (Ref:3305137)   #75
leftandright
Rookie

United States
Central TX
leftandright should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
track is essentially out of the city limits, maybe not technically, so it is a fair distance from downtown, maybe 15 miles or so, possibly involving toll road depending on route.