Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2000, 17:44 (Ref:36748)   #16
TimD
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's okay Ian, I know what you're talking about. Think of the trouble that the CART driver Hiro Matsu****a has.

Sorry to hear about the engine, though. How easy is it to source a new Mazda rotary engine?
Old 13 Sep 2000, 07:52 (Ref:36885)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ian said that Spa would be his last event this year because he wouldn't be able to source a decent engine by Snetterton. So, we can fully expect to see him in Norfolk then.

The annual Spa meeting is very hard on cars and drivers. If you've never been there previously, it is seriously daunting. The trouble is that, racers being what they are, if you tell them this they won't believe you. Sadly this leads to bent and broken cars because we ask too much of the machinery.

Peter's fuel pump stopped working and he was out of the race. Fuel pumps work harder at Spa than any other circuit becuase you are flat out more often and for longer.

Ian C was relatively lucky to get away with a broken engine because I watched him and from where I stood it looked like he was heading for the wall.

Andrew was somewhat unluckier because you can't legislate for a broken oil union. At least him and Rick made the one-hour race in Rick's car.

However. I will be surprised if they don't all come back next year because from what I saw they've all got the bug.
Old 13 Sep 2000, 09:32 (Ref:36889)   #18
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - even the current/former TVR owners were very friendly & helpful !

And for non-campers I can recommend L'Auberge in Spa - nice rooms very good food and not expensive

Seriously I had a ball - thanks to Peter - is there a two driver race at Snetterton ?

Old 13 Sep 2000, 13:18 (Ref:36905)   #19
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Repairing the engine is not a great deal.
Hopefully only the seals have gone, but if they're damaged the housings can be sourced and reworked as necessary.
But having seriously overspent this year I'm not doing any more.
But the thought of 6 months off is a bit daunting.

The moment through Eau Rouge was quite something and as Peter noted I think I was very lucky!
I went in quite fast, with a lift at the bottom of the pit straight hill, turn in left and brake, then turn right and up the hill. I didn't turn in hard enough and was swinging wide. I eased off, a mistake, and it slipped out of gear.
Going through Eau Rouge at 100mph in neutral while understeering off is to be recommended!
Even though it destroyed the engine, 3rd gear brought the car back under control.

IanC

Old 13 Sep 2000, 13:29 (Ref:36910)   #20
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from yelwoci
'But the thought of 6 months off is a bit daunting. '

tell me about! 11 months so far...........
Old 13 Sep 2000, 16:02 (Ref:36942)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by yelwoci

I went in quite fast, with a lift at the bottom of the pit straight hill, turn in left and brake, then turn right and up the hill. I didn't turn in hard enough and was swinging wide. I eased off, a mistake, and it slipped out of gear.

IanC

My italics.

You were okay until you eased off. That's what throws you at the wall. If you keep the right one planted you (at worst) go across the gravel trap at the top. At best you are ten mph faster through Radillon.

I was finally told the secret to that complex this year, but wasn't quite using it last weekend. You'd think after all these years I'd know but I had to ask someone eventually.
Old 14 Sep 2000, 21:09 (Ref:37163)   #22
spnixon
Racer

spnixon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll post my full story when I get time to write it (spent 9 hours last night getting from Eindhoven to Antwerp - about 60km. Bloody lorry drivers!).

The latest update on the fuel pump is that it didn't fail at all. 6 hours of work today including fitting a new pump (I needed a spare anyway), new filter, and blowing 20 (yes, 20!) fuses have given me the conclusion that the problem lies in the two small wires going through the dash to the warm start regulator and auxillary air valve, whatever they are. One of them is earthing out somewhere causing the fuse to blow, but the wires just go into the loom and its a total mess. Urgh - more work required...

Anyway cheers to Jos for sharing the drive in the 1 hour race (at least the car survived long enough for that) - hope you enjoyed it and I'll get the lap times to you when I can!
Old 15 Sep 2000, 07:56 (Ref:37262)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
What on earth were you doing over here in the flatlands then?

Seems like most of the CSCC is spending its time in the Netherlands and other "Low Countries".