Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Dec 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2604523)   #1
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rank your top Ten Sportscar Drivers - past 10 years

Could some of you suggest a list of your top ten drivers of the past Decade? ALMS, LMS, or LM, choose from any or all of those series.
Please submit the names you judge to be the best drivers/racers, not your favorites.

My first suggestion would be:

1. Alan McNish

Thank you.

dave henrie
Old 24 Dec 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2604658)   #2
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
You have to include Tom K of course in any sportscar roll of honour and also David Brabham.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2604664)   #3
ztnedman1
Racer

United States
Tennessee
ztnedman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many may disagree but I am going to say Jorg Bergmister. 24hrs OVERALL at daytona plus a handful of championships and a bunch of wins.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2604676)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Stand Outs, not necessarily in order, except for McNish

1. Alan McNish
2. Tom Kristensen
3. Biela
4. Pirro
5. Werner
6. Fellows
7. Brabham
8. Luhr
9. Bergmeister
10. Beretta
Old 24 Dec 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2604705)   #5
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not in any order but...

-McNish
-Brabham
-Collard
-Kristensen
-Lieb
-Capello
-Minassian
-Bergmeister
-Magnussen
-Enge
Old 24 Dec 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2604709)   #6
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
No particular order:

1. Alan McNish
2. Stephane Sarrazin
3. Marc Lieb
4. Marco Werner
5. Tom Kristensen
6. Romain Dumas
7. Frank Biela
8. Jörg Bergmeister
9. Jaime Melo
10. Johnny O`Connell
Old 24 Dec 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2604762)   #7
peckadj
Racer

peckadj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AM and TK, the rest is in a lower division

brabs is very good but a bit overrated, in 2006, he and stefan j was equal.
2007 - 2008 he had a slow team mate, i think SP will be fastest of the two in 2010
Old 24 Dec 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2604788)   #8
BlackCat89
Rookie

BlackCat89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, vote McNish and TK top two. All others a bit lower.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2604807)   #9
peckadj
Racer

peckadj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckadj View Post
AM and TK, the rest is in a lower division

brabs is very good but a bit overrated, in 2006, he and stefan j was equal.
2007 - 2008 he had a slow team mate, i think SP will be fastest of the two in 2010
2007, 2008 - 2009
Old 24 Dec 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2604814)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tom Kristensen's the undoubted king of sportscars and one of the greatest racing drivers of all time. He's definitely somebody that should have been in Formula One... alas it never happened.

Allan McNish is a fantastic driver. I raced at close quarters against him in junior karting in the 1980s so I know exactly how good he is ! I would put Tom ahead of him though. That Le Mans record is something in itself and across so many teams, its evidence if it was ever needed that he really does know what it takes to win the most gruelling sportscar race of them all.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2604837)   #11
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I would definetely rate Sarrazin higher that TK, sorry. I know he's Mr. Le Mans and all put when it comes to pure speed, he can't match McNish or Sarrazin.
Old 24 Dec 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2604841)   #12
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montagny
Mcnish
Sarrazin
Garcia
Fassler
Bertolini
Bruni
Kristensen
JC Bouillon
Old 25 Dec 2009, 00:29 (Ref:2604874)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In no real order - and driven very much by whim...

McNish - for fairly obvious reasons, but if nothing else PLM 2008
Kristensen - for being unbeatable at Le Mans
Collard - fantastic all rounder
Bouillon - Consistently solid and reliable - and jaw dropping at Silverstone 2009
Minassian - for heroics in a Creation and blinding speed in a Peugeot
Brabham - for consistent solidity and coming into his own in 2009
Shimoda - for staggering races like Nurburgring 2005 and the Laguna Seca win - only wish there'd been more
Leitzinger - for being the cornerstone of Dyson through the decade, not forgetting his Bentley work
Dumas - for his part of the RS Spyder campaign as well as quality appearances in Europe
Capello - for being the oft forgotten backstop in the most successful line up of the decade.

Any list like this is always arbitrary and unfair, but if nothing else the thought process of coming up with them does work in terms of actually thinking about the decade - it's been one hell of a ride, Let's hope the one to come lives up to it.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 01:51 (Ref:2604882)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
My explanations...

1. Alan McNish -> None needed
2. Tom Kristensen -> 7 Le Mans Victories
3. Biela -> 5 Le Mans Victories
4. Pirro -> 5 Le Mans Victories
5. Werner -> 2 Le Mans Victories
6. Fellows -> Leader of Corvette Racing, and successfully pushed to allow them to race full time.
7. Brabham -> Very fast in many different cars
8. Luhr -> 31 wins in ALMS, in three classes, fast and diversified
9. Bergmeister -> Most GT2 wins in ALMS history
10. Beretta -> All time ALMS win leader, with 41 wins
Old 25 Dec 2009, 02:01 (Ref:2604885)   #15
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
IAny list like this is always arbitrary and unfair, but if nothing else the thought process of coming up with them does work in terms of actually thinking about the decade - it's been one hell of a ride, Let's hope the one to come lives up to it.
I think that was why I asked, to get a good sampling. To be honest, I have forgotten some of those mentioned already. Keep dropping names, it is almost like watching the races again when I put the names to some of the stirring drives I remember. I think I like the Lietzinger choice, but I like it even better as a pairing with James Weaver. WHAT a combo those two made.

Keep em coming folks and thank you. Merry Christmas/Holidays.
dh
Old 25 Dec 2009, 03:12 (Ref:2604887)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I
Leitzinger - for being the cornerstone of Dyson through the decade, not forgetting his Bentley work
glad to Butch making someone's list.

i guess Andy Wallace's better years were past the last 10?

i can't name anyone else that isn't on the rest of lists here.

Old 25 Dec 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2604904)   #17
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
glad to Butch making someone's list.

i guess Andy Wallace's better years were past the last 10?

i can't name anyone else that isn't on the rest of lists here.

Butch definitely makes my top 10, and Marino Franchitti, too. As a pair, they compliment each other well, which makes sports car drivers look even better. I think Marino could well become the next McNish and I don't mean the whole Scottish thing. I see many similarities between a Leitzinger-Franchitti pairing and a Dindo Capello-Allan McNish pairing.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2604914)   #18
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish
Collard
Werner
TK
James Weaver
Capello
Sarazzin
Nic M
Lieb
Christophe B
Old 25 Dec 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2604924)   #19
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Fogelhund;2604882]My explanations...

1. Alan McNish -> None needed
2. Tom Kristensen -> 7 Le Mans Victories

Actually it is 8 for TK
Old 25 Dec 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2604925)   #20
scoff
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
scoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1 McN
2 TK

In no specific order from the decade:
Sarrazin
Brabham
Capello
Bergmeister

But did you all forget
Pagenaud
Melo
Bourdais
Magnussen
Old 25 Dec 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2604958)   #21
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoff View Post
.......But did you all forget
Pagenaud
Melo
Bourdais
Magnussen
I'd add Dirk Werner even though he was doing Grand-Am and being the only european who is season champ twice now speaks for itself.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2604962)   #22
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In no particular order:

- McNish.
- Kristensen.
- Bergmeister.
- Sarrazin.
- Brabham.
- Lieb.
- Melo.
- Capello.
- Biela.
- Pirro.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2604981)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting so many put AM above TK, as would I. I tend to think that if you want to win Le Mans, possibly Petit LM, you want Kristensen on board. If you want to win anything else, particularly a title, Allan is your man.

I'm not sure I can come up with a full ten, but I'm surprised no-one has included Minassian, J-C Boullion and Ollie Gavin. Boullion in particular is probably the fastest sportscar driver.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2604984)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Interesting so many put AM above TK, as would I. I tend to think that if you want to win Le Mans, possibly Petit LM, you want Kristensen on board. If you want to win anything else, particularly a title, Allan is your man.
Very surprising that I appear to be the only one [so far] that would place Kristensen ahead of McNish. The thing is, the marathons [Le Mans, Petit LeMans] are more difficult to win than a title because not only are they practically the equivalent in terms of mileage, you don't have the option to fail to finish as you do when you're accumulating points. They are the very essence of what sportscar racing is all about and Kristensen's achievements there are absolutely stupendous when you stop to think about it. Many teams and manufacturers would happily swap a win at Le Mans for a title... and many drivers would too.

When it comes to ranking sportscar drivers, I think we need to heavily weight the marathons because not to do so would lean us to over rank the faster guys who dipped into sportscar racing and who would possibly have McNish and Kristensen for dinner in a sprint.
Old 25 Dec 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2604990)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number7 View Post

Actually it is 8 for TK
Not in the past decade it isn't...... Win #1 was in 1997 - 12 years ago.....

Despite being a Brit, I go for TK over Alan.....