Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 Nov 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2787267)   #376
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Since Peugeot put out their PR with the euphenistic phrase "assertive strategy", there's little denying that Peugeot tried to use Seb as a pick to if nothing else distract Tom and make him use up his tires, so that once he got by, any gains on Sarazin were minimal. It also smacks to me that Stephane had a wounded car, as he was worried about the brakes.

I don't really believe the story that Seb had a mechanical problem--if he was having an engine issue, he wouldn't have been able to run competitive times with TK, let alone Stephane if they were causing worry. Look at NASCAR stockcars--about 10 laps after a driver reports an engine problem, it's beyond saving. I don't care how low or high tech an engine is, if they're something mechanically wrong, it doesn't get any better.

I would like to see if the ACO caught any radio traffic calling in team orders. Only time that Audi has used team orders that I can remember was in '08 at the Nurbergring where Audi asked McNish to pit and let Rocky by, as Allan was out of the running for the LMS championship. Then there was PLM '08, where Werner was asked to let Allan by, as Allan had the fastest car out of the two Audis and the Pug, and Werner and Luhr had already locked up the ALMS drivers' championship.

Even at that, I can't recall but once where Audi called in a similar team order. At PLM '00, McNish was asked to hold up a Panoz to aid a damaged but still faster teammate. Needless to say, Allan didn't take to that too well. And the damaged Audi still out ran the Panoz, so the team order wasn't needed.

Which is why I question the move that Seb made--did he make it or was it a request from Quesnel? And with Kristensen's and Sarazin's tires in equally as bad a shape and TK having a slow puncture, I'd have to question of the deal with Seb was neccessary at all.

However, Audi could've avoided that if they could've taken 1-2 seconds less fuel.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2787278)   #377
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
However, Audi could've avoided that if they could've taken 1-2 seconds less fuel.
Not sure about that. In that case Peugeot would still have used Bourdais to slow down Kristensen, such that Sarrazin could stay in front after his stop...
Old 8 Nov 2010, 22:59 (Ref:2787337)   #378
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Wouldn't have happened if TK got out infront of Seb.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2787359)   #379
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Wouldn't have happened if TK got out infront of Seb.
Bourdais slowed down more than 7 sec to block Kristensen. So for that to have, Audi must have magically gained a lot more time in that last pitstop
Old 9 Nov 2010, 01:33 (Ref:2787403)   #380
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
The R10 looks like an open-top 908? You should seriously get your eyes fixed..

Plus, the 908 was revealed when the R10 was running for less than a year and was in all major aspects (aerodynamics, engine, gearbox) far mor advanced than the R10.

In fact, it was so advanced that, even though it was designed five years ago, Audi is still not able to match its speed.

But your arrogant attitude is somewhat typical as Audi fans seem to think they own sports car racing just because their make has dominated the past century, most of the time not
having a serious competitor I might add.
1st- No I don't need my eyes fixed actually. The overall
shape/side profile and main elements of the 908 were very
similar to the R10. There wasn't anything ground breaking
about their design. I didn't mean it was an exact copy, but rather that it looked unoriginal other than the closed cockpit

2nd- I love how you call me arrogant when you come on here
and run your mouth more than anyone. It's you and your Pug fans that act like your sh*t doesn't stink and have the greatest race car ever.

3rd-you can say whatever you want but honestly all you are is an Audi hater and a Peugeot bandwagon boy. If Peugeot
dropped out next year and another manufacturer beat Audi,
you would be all over their nuts too.

Last edited by MihokS5; 9 Nov 2010 at 01:47.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 02:33 (Ref:2787420)   #381
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post

3rd-you can say whatever you want but honestly all you are is an Audi hater and a Peugeot bandwagon boy. If Peugeot
Nonsense, I already rooted for Peugeot back when they started their WRC campaign with the 206 because I was driving one at the time.

I don't hate Audi, I just don't roll over in awe like many people in the media because they´re not the second coming in terms of sports car racing. If anything, I´ve grown a bit tired of their success as almost a decade of complete domination at Le Mans was getting a bit old, wasn't it?
Old 9 Nov 2010, 04:44 (Ref:2787451)   #382
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post
Of all your "interesting" points posted earlier, I have selected this one to comment upon. I think it is kind of natural that when one brand dominated long distance racing for a longer period, you tend to favour the young upstart who wants to challenge that dominating party. It is comparable to the David /Goliath case, whereby here Peugeot is a slightly bigger David.

I guess if Audi pulled out next year, all would favour the new "factory?" team that would come up and challenge Peugeot.
And with their Vorspung durch Technik slogan, Audi his created a quite arrogant aura around themselves.
Slightly off topic example: At the pressdays of the recent Paris Motor Audi gave an impressive video presentation of their new cars. They had the CEO talking about them, of course in German, but for those who did not master the German language, they put up subtitles....in English.

Anyway, it is always difficult to argue with one sided people, who think in terms of haters and fanboys, so let's stop here, but I can tell you that the relationship between the Audi and Peugeot teams is much better than one would think on the basis of the comments of some posters here.

Coming back on TKs statement that he wore out his tyres behind Bourdais in combination with his aero problems, and that he therefore was unable to attack SS, it strikes me that him would have awaited a similar fate in case he would been able to come close to the SS car.

Again the frugality of the Peugeot allowed them not only to take less fuel on the final stop, but also attach new tyres ten laps LATER than the Audi. Apparently that made a difference.

Anyway, if either car would have won by half a minute difference, nobody would be putting these points under the magnifying glass, including the alleged Montagny's jump start. Now that it is matter of seconds, every little titbit that may have mattered will be discussed over and over again.

As far the Peugeot brake problems is concerned. I am more surprised about how they were more or less cured and not how they occurred, during the 3rd and 4rd hour of the race they were doing 1.26 laps, but was that enough to "repair" the brakes to pick up speed again and going back to the 1.23 laps? Did they change brake pads, and if so how many times?

So it is bye bye to the R15 and the 908 and I am wondering if their fights will go into history in the same way as the Ferrari/Ford fights from the mid sixties, or the Ferrari/Porsche fights from the early seventies. The 908 is a bit like the Ferrari 312PB, it won everywhere and everything except Le Mans, (and even the 908 did that once).
Old 9 Nov 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2787458)   #383
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think the 908 is the best looking coupe there is. The Aston looked ok, but I'm more fond of the front F1 style nose the 908 has. I hope the 90x is mostly the same as the 908 but a little sleeker with a more aero efficient 'roof scoop'. Congrats to Peugeot for the win, I figured they'd be 1-2, but a win is a win!
Old 10 Nov 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2788302)   #384
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
If anything, I´ve grown a bit tired of their success as almost a decade of complete domination at Le Mans was getting a bit old, wasn't it?
Totally agree but , Its hardly Audi's fault if the other players are unable to beat them regularly , just means that Audi did it properly in the first place .

But , I am sick of Audi a little ..... need some American & Japanese manufacturers to take the fight to them .
Old 10 Nov 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2788337)   #385
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the 908 is the best looking coupe there is. The Aston looked ok, but I'm more fond of the front F1 style nose the 908 has. I hope the 90x is mostly the same as the 908 but a little sleeker with a more aero efficient 'roof scoop'. Congrats to Peugeot for the win, I figured they'd be 1-2, but a win is a win!
Here! Here! I think the 908 is the most awsome Sports racing car ever, by looks and performance. I went to LeMans, SPA and Silverstone.

I drive a PUG 406 HDI it's ten years old and is the best car I've ever owned, not a fast car, just reliable, economic and not a trace of rust anywhere to be seen. I had a 405 before that, it was a safe handling and very practical car.

So sad to see the end of the mighty 908. I hear the new V8 LMP1 cars will just be a shadow of their former selves, being only the performance of an LMP2, how sad! RIP LMP1 !
Old 13 Nov 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2789769)   #386
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watched the last couple of hours of the Eurosport coverage last night, Peugeot have wised up, they pulled a win out of the bag when Audi looked favourites.

As Mark Cole said this is a team sport, it's good to see Audi being given a bloody nose, there's nothing like being beaten to re-invigorate a team.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2789827)   #387
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some things never change! There have been some very intense battles between manufacturers down the years. Audi and Peugeot have had some great ones together in recent times, and no matter which side of the fence you sit, Zhuhai was a great way to see the last encounter between these two mighty combatants (R15 and 908). It's great to see that the battle will continue next year with the R18 AND 90X.

Some of the insults that get traded between people here, are just laughable. We all have our own team/manufacturer preferences, based on a variety of reasons, however I think that we also respect the way that all the teams conduct themselves (mostly ) on and off the track. Every year, at this time I get withdrawal symptoms, until about a week before Sebring, and this year is no different. Bring on the ILMC 2011.