Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3770558)   #3076
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a new staircase installed recently - the fitters managed to cut through the alarm cable. Got the carpet fitters in today putting new carpet on said staircase so I went out of my way to point out the alarm cables - guess what!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3770566)   #3077
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Had a new staircase installed recently - the fitters managed to cut through the alarm cable. Got the carpet fitters in today putting new carpet on said staircase so I went out of my way to point out the alarm cables - guess what!
That will teach you for not going wireless!

(only joking)
Old 29 Sep 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3770573)   #3078
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That will teach you for not going wireless!

(only joking)

It always amuses me when I see a sign that says: 'This door is alarmed'

Why - what scared it?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3770579)   #3079
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It always amuses me when I see a sign that says: 'This door is alarmed'

Why - what scared it?
I have similar thoughts about road signs such as:
Caution Lorries Turning - What's a Caution Lorry carrying?
Heavy Plant Crossing - I expect to see something in a huge plant pot crossing the road.
Free Range Eggs - What are Range Eggs and why do people give them away?

Last edited by VIVA GT; 29 Sep 2017 at 14:57. Reason: Spelnig!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3770583)   #3080
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I have similar thoughts about road signs such as:
Caution Lorries Turning - What's a Caution Lorry carrying?
Heavy Plant Crossing - I expect to see something in a huge plant pot crossing the road.
Free Range Eggs - What are Range Eggs and why do people give them away?

One spotted on the ferry the other week: "Do not put foreign objects in the toilet" (or words to that effect).

Does that mean a foreign chappie can't have a poo?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3770585)   #3081
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
One spotted on the ferry the other week: "Do not put foreign objects in the toilet" (or words to that effect).

Does that mean a foreign chappie can't have a poo?

Then there's the examples you see in cafes etc that warn you the tea/coffee/water is hot. I should flippin' well hope so!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3770586)   #3082
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A valuable lesson to anyone posting their tales of woe on these here pages - don't look for any sympathy, 'cos it's in bloomin' short supply!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3770587)   #3083
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
One of the most common in the UK currently is the notice on nearly all ATMs - Free cash here.

Well, no matter how many times I have demanded my share of the free dosh, it always turns me down. I'm beginning to take it personally, now!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3770589)   #3084
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always liked the notice seen on a reservoir near Staines many years ago;

'No Bathing No Horses'

and; On a footpath in Whetstone; No Riding No Cycles.'
Old 29 Sep 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3770605)   #3085
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A valuable lesson to anyone posting their tales of woe on these here pages - don't look for any sympathy, 'cos it's in bloomin' short supply!
Did I mention the rolling bale of hay and my flying lesson?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3770612)   #3086
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Did I mention the rolling bale of hay and my flying lesson?
No. Do tell; could do with a chuckle.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3770616)   #3087
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
. Anyone remember what they were doing 50 years ago .
I was 17 and 11 days, so doubtless pestering my Dad for driving experience at every opportunity...........He worked in the same town I went to school, so I drove from home to his work and back at the end of the day, but that wasn't enough, naturally
Old 29 Sep 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3770621)   #3088
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No. Do tell; could do with a chuckle.
I picked some hay up for my wife's nags last week, as I was driving up our driveway I looked in the mirror to see both bales rolling off the trailer back down the drive. I jumped out to stop one by grabbing hold of it as it went downhill but it flipped me straight over the top and I did a somersault and landed in a holly bush followed by the hay. My glasses go thrown off my head at the same time and after an age spent looking for them in the bushes I gave up.

I managed to get the bales back on the trailer by turning round and driving back down the driveway and rolling them back on. After I'd put the bales away I thought I'd give it one more try to find my glasses, I found them in the drive broken into three pieces where I'd driven over them twice. I've not had any sympathy at all and my wife's mates started humming the Benny Hill theme when she told them. So Hay £60, new glasses £350, not having a dash cam running at the time, quite disappointing
Old 29 Sep 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3770624)   #3089
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I picked some hay up for my wife's nags last week, as I was driving up our driveway I looked in the mirror to see both bales rolling off the trailer back down the drive. I jumped out to stop one by grabbing hold of it as it went downhill but it flipped me straight over the top and I did a somersault and landed in a holly bush followed by the hay. My glasses go thrown off my head at the same time and after an age spent looking for them in the bushes I gave up.

I managed to get the bales back on the trailer by turning round and driving back down the driveway and rolling them back on. After I'd put the bales away I thought I'd give it one more try to find my glasses, I found them in the drive broken into three pieces where I'd driven over them twice. I've not had any sympathy at all and my wife's mates started humming the Benny Hill theme when she told them. So Hay £60, new glasses £350, not having a dash cam running at the time, quite disappointing
Maybe you could recoup the cost by selling the scenario to Specsavers for a new TV ad?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 21:16 (Ref:3770633)   #3090
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry Tim but what a great story .
Old 30 Sep 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3770678)   #3091
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now how did that song go ....?

"Roll me over, lay me down, and do it again."

I have heard about a roll in the hay, but never quite that complicated. Is it n the Kama Sutra, Tim?

Sympathy? Yeah, Right!!!

Quite appropriate I thought.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3770683)   #3092
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mon Ami Robert, it seems that your friend Tim and OW's wife could make a virtual club here .
Old 30 Sep 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3770734)   #3093
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I am really sympathetic, Tim........once I stop laughing
Old 3 Oct 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3771502)   #3094
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Potential diary date for next year - Goodwood Revival scheduled for 7th-9th Sept.

And if interested in the other Goodwood thing - FOS - 12th-15th July.

Both dates provisional.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3771851)   #3095
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And there's poor me taking my poor little nephew to Spa with all the rest of my crew to give them a track day, promptly went down with a stomach bug, spent all day Sunday in bed , Tim and the rest apparently working out who was going to work my arm to wave to the passport people if I snuffed and they had to prop me up in the passenger seat.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 5 Oct 2017, 04:38 (Ref:3771954)   #3096
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope your better now Eric.I was instructing with CircuitDays at Spa on monday.Really well run thanks to Chris and Darren btw.
Little bit wet first thing but we had 18 degrees by mid day,and a dry track.Perfect for some time in a 458.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3771986)   #3097
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well I'm not far from Zandvoort and it's howling down . I woke up with wet feet . The little 7.5 tonner truck leaks . 😀
Old 5 Oct 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3771991)   #3098
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well I'm not far from Zandvoort and it's howling down . I woke up with wet feet . The little 7.5 tonner truck leaks . ��

Very wet & windy here too. Cue Bauble....
Old 5 Oct 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3771999)   #3099
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Hope your better now Eric.I was instructing with CircuitDays at Spa on monday.Really well run thanks to Chris and Darren btw.
Little bit wet first thing but we had 18 degrees by mid day,and a dry track.Perfect for some time in a 458.
Shame I missed you there Terry. TBH I found the track more drivable first thing than when it started to dry, second time out I couldn't keep Eric's Fiesta on the track until I came in and let about 20psi out of the tyres.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3772067)   #3100
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would that be the Red car Tim?
Looked to be going well.
Good driving standards,only one "off" which resulted in a radio call asking when they were going to get their act together and get the gravel pile shifted back to where it came from(after driving through it for four laps!!