Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Feb 2003, 19:16 (Ref:497586)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Kirby's Inside Track/chris Pook's Vision Taking Shape

SEBRING, Fla. - This week at Spring Training in Florida we get our first glimpse of what Champ Car racing will look like over the next two years. As many people have said in recent weeks, there's a whole new buzz surrounding the renamed Champ Car World Series even though in many ways it's amazing to be able to make that statement considering the contentious and sometimes desolate atmosphere that haunted the paddock for most of last year. Story
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:30 (Ref:497723)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Just when they hit rock-bottom, by opinions of certain folk like Michael, Floyd, and now even Kim Green hit new lows.

I'm thankful that there has been no Barry-bashing going on. He basically sold his team and said, "Do whatever you want with it. It's yours." That way he can retire in my "good books" the way he should.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 21:38 (Ref:497736)   #3
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading this article and seeing some of what went on behind the scenes, I am really really glad that bunch are gone. You can really see why Paul Tracy was so uncomfortable in the last part of the year being at Team Green can't you.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:12 (Ref:497790)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They say it's a big pleasure to do what others say you won't be able to do. They say "CART will die", and CART, by the way, will have 18 cars at St. Pete

I guess they are scratching their heads... "CART? Still alive?"
Old 6 Feb 2003, 00:34 (Ref:497963)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't describe how sickening it was last year to see a great series like Cart full of so many people that wanted to see the series destroyed.

"The insurgents like Ganassi, Andretti, Green, Toyota and Honda who refused to buy into Pook's vision are gone. They've been replaced by people like Stefan Johansson, Craig Pollock, Paul Gentilozzi and Eric Bachelart, who believe in Pook's ideas and want to be in Champ Car racing."

That says it all!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Feb 2003, 14:25 (Ref:498495)   #6
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else feel the mood lightening now that everything is pretty much a go? It's almost like everyone collectively letting out the breath they were holding for so long. And now that we're back to were we should be, you think those shumcks regret going over there? Some how I do. Especially now that they will probally never be welcome back with open arms.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 14:33 (Ref:498501)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its certainly been a great offseason for CART and the series, but we're not out of the woods yet. A lot of the new teams are largely being funded by CART, and the drivers who've come in, Bourdais excepted, have been off the ultimate pace.

There could be a lot of accidents in the early races, remember that a 7 car pileup would mean someone getting points having not completed a lap. The series lacks big name drivers and could use more name sponsorship.

The fans must be kept, and those who have drifted towards NASCAR, IndyCar or F1 must be regained. More races like Surfer's would be a PR disaster as well. Publicity around Indy500 time should be maximised, as the series races in Europe.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 05:10 (Ref:499113)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
It's a good feeling going into the new year though, which I can honestly say I didn't have last year. Cart's been through a lot, and it's by no means out of the woods yet, but at least it's heading in the right direction now.

Not as many teams are being funded by Cart as most people think. In fact, I think ASTJ may be the only one receiving anything beyond the ESP package announced earlier in the year, although even they have quite a few investors. Most of the teams either sought out drivers that brought sponsorship (and there's some pretty good drivers in this bunch) or have found the sponsorship to compete.

Bourdais' been fast, but he's also been off track a ton...and Junqueira's anything but consistent, so I actually see the championship being much tighter than it was last year. People may not have heard of all the drivers, and 2 or 3 may be off the pace of the main pack, but I'm quite happy with the bunch we have this year. I'd rather have a few slower cars acting as mobile chicanes than drivers and teams that try to destroy the series.

Can't wait for St. Petes!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Feb 2003, 07:14 (Ref:499134)   #9
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One or two drivers off the pace isn't really a bad thing either. Remember CART had much better racing when there were blocking backmarkers like Hiro "the mobile chicane" Matsu****a
Old 7 Feb 2003, 07:15 (Ref:499135)   #10
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
err... right well, ****.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:03 (Ref:499313)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, even TGF crashes in practice and about half the field in F1 is backmarkers now. In CWS, Joel C. has been right on the pace, surprising a lot of people, and everyone out there is very enthusiastic and wants to be there. It's a good atmosphere and people know what they have to do and are ready to do it.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:54 (Ref:499385)   #12
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, don't kid yourself. The $30 million has been spent.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 15:46 (Ref:499576)   #13
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Article is from bptccwspbf's web page. Such articles are little more than a press release. Would bptccwspbf let a writer be the least bit critical of their series if he was going to post an article on their web page? Thats what I call gutsy journalism Mr. Kirby!

Pook is no rocket scientist, he is just spending the companies cash. And until he formulates a plan to stop the outflows bptccwspbf will continue to die a slow death.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:27 (Ref:499720)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's better to have Kirby writing for CART than Arute writing for the IRL but not in the IRL site. That's blind love...

Pro-IRL people were saying "CART is dead". Now the quote is "Champ Car will continue to die a slow death"

How can something already dead continue to be dying? Isn't is more right to say that "CART is still alive?" Maybe we'll also change what we say and in some time we'll say "CART is alive and kicking"?
Old 7 Feb 2003, 23:21 (Ref:500098)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
rush1, unless you have something to say in this forum other than Cart is dieing I suggest you bugger off!

Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Jay, don't kid yourself. The $30 million has been spent.
Really, where? There's the ESP package, a few race promotions, TV broadcasts.... the $30 million will be spent, but I doubt it has been as of now. I don't think Cart has to spend as much on filling up the grid as they originally anticipated. As evidence of this, there will be more than 18 cars on the grid at St. Pete. Like I said, the only team that I think may have received ANYTHING beyond Cart's esp program is ASTJ (likely all on Jimmy Vasser). And According to Derrick Walker, NO teams are receiving anything beyond the ESP.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 23:26 (Ref:500105)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rush1, take Jay's advice. Arute writes nothing but pro-IRL stories, so what's your point?

YOUR blind love for the IRL makes you post ridiculous things on this site. Why don't you stay where you belong.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 23:57 (Ref:500136)   #17
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys if the IRL was doing it for these guys they wouldn't be bothered or have the time to come over to Champcars and jack off.

Has anybody actually grabed a calculator and crunched the numbers on ESP before whacking off about how Cart is funding the entire paddock ?
Divide the money being spent by Cart by at least 18 cars and I don't get Cart funding the majority of the 6 million per car at least that it's costing to run. I also notice that Cart is offsetting some of the cost of ESP through selling space on all the cars to sponsors in packages it's marketing. That probably slipped some peoples minds too.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 01:36 (Ref:500219)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that CART has survived the termoil, sponsors can be confident that their investment will be well spent. When you've got big race turnouts, sponsors have to see value in having their name involved. It would clearly be better value than the IRL. CART is also putting sponsors first, giving them extra exposure. I think as the year progresses, CART inc will be increaingly able to save it's pocketbook.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 16:51 (Ref:501516)   #19
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have known Gordon Kirby for well over 30 years and he has always been his own man in his writing. I don't believe he would ever write anything other then the truth.
Hans.ca
Old 9 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:501753)   #20
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree completely

Last edited by Omega99; 9 Feb 2003 at 20:47.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 22:53 (Ref:501874)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
It's the same Gordon Kirby that was personally taken out of the paddock at Australia by whoever was the CART president then (Bill Stokkan?), so he is not necessarily partial to CART.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:30 (Ref:502195)   #22
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay, the ESP program will be paid out on a per-race basis and that amount is IN ADDITION TO the $30 million the CART board committed in Pookfare solely to fill the grid.

The going deal to receive Pookfare, at least at the start, was that Pookfare would match the first $1.8 million that individual teams came up with in sponsorship. Exactly how and when that is going to be/has been paid is unclear. We'll probably hafta wait till a quarterly report comes out to tell.

But part of the deal to get these teams going was Pookfare. Conqueste would likely still be in the IRL if Pookfare wasn't a better deal than it could get over there. If Walker says nobody got it, quite frankly, I don't believe him. His own switcheroo out of Gonzalez into Manning and Lavin that was delayed to sort out for so long almost HAD to include Pookfare, particularly with the "go and stop" with Lavin's Corona money for a month.

Regardless, it looks like 18 cars on the grid, which is the point.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:52 (Ref:502210)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure you find the phrase "Pookfare" magnetic, since you repeat it endlessly. But we all know that the only thing that is keeping the other league afloat and has done so for the past 10 years nearly, is GeorgeFare. If you don't find it necessary to endlessly harp on George's singlehanded bankrolling of the series, you really shouldn't have a problem with CWS (NOT POOK) doing the same.

Unless you just have a problem with Pook.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 12:51 (Ref:502274)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think a lot of sponsrs will be looking to join by 2004. The series should put on some good racing this year, despite the issues I have mentioned. The IRL's attendances are minimal for 11 months of the year, their second best is about equal to CART's worst, except for when they are supporting NASCAR, and CART gets a massive US audience plus huge market shares in Mexico and Canada, and impressive elsewhere, a bonus for US firms looking to expand.

Having a few clear backmarkers is ok in a 26-car series, but not in an 18-car series. The guys in F1 are all capable of running at a reasonable pace, now that Yoong is gone, but the hardware gaps are too big. The technical prestige of F1 makes this less of a problem that it would be in a spec series.

We don't yet know how good these guys could become with the right guidance (although realistically, probably not very far), but lots of rookies in new or 1-car teams are going to have lots of crashes, possibly pile-ups, meaning less track time and confidence than they would otherwise gain. Its the problem that sank Bell last year, perhaps magnified.

I was hoping for more experienced drivers like Papis, Herta and Gidely to be involved, especially as 2 of those are American, and more blue-ribbon promising youngsters such as Pantano, Fogarty, maybe guys like Davidson and Zonta.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 11:12 (Ref:503188)   #25
indycool
Veteran

Liz,
1. I didn't invent the term "Pookfare" but it fits, so I use it.
2. I have admitted many times I'm not a Pook fan.
3. I didn't say Pookfare was bad. I said it exists and it does. I think it was and still is necessary and it's probably saved the series. That was the last line of my post. "Regardless...18 cars on the grid, which is the point."