Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jan 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1806520)   #1
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT rule changes for 2007

In going though the FIA GT rules I noticed some intesting changes for 2007.
http://www.fia.com/resources/documen..._Sport_Reg.pdf

3 sets of dry weather tires for practice and qualifcation and 3 sets of tires for the race.

69. LIMITATION OF THE NUMBER OF ENGINES,
BRAKES, GEARBOX RATIOS AND FINAL DRIVE
RATIOS DURING THE EVENT

69. A. Three engines per car and per season will
be authorised. Each engine will be paired with the
chassis.

Each engine, as defined in Article 106, must be
sealed by the FIA Technical Delegate before being
used by the competitor in an event.

Any breaking of one or more seals must be approved
beforehand by the Technical Delegate for the
Championship or the FIA Technical Department on
pain of a sanction which may go as far as exclusion.
The breaking of any seal will be considered as a
change of engine.
The replacing of an engine by a competitor
automatically results in the application of the following
penalties:"

THREE engines?? or rebuild up to three times?? That will slow the race down to require the engine to last. Keep cost down too.

"B. For GT1 cars only:
A single type of braking system must be homologated
per model of car.

Only 2 sets of brakes (callipers and discs) may be
used per car and per season. The components of the
system will be identified by the FIA Technical
Delegate before its use by the competitor in an event."

Two sets of discs per season?? A set of discs or rotors only last one race, no matter who makes them or even the Carbon rotors.

"C. For Group 1 cars only:
One single set of gearbox ratios must be
homologated per model of car and per season. The
use of any other ratio is forbidden.
D. For Group 1 cars only:
A maximum of three final drive ratios must be
homologated per model of car and per season. The
use of any other ratio is forbidden."

One set of gear ratios isn't too bad with the three final diff or drive ratios

"Fuel
103. A single fuel supplier is designated by the FIA
following a tendering procedure. Throughout the
duration of the Event, all competitors must use the
fuel supplied by the organiser; the supplying of this
fuel must be carried out in accordance with the
conditions set out in the contract signed between the
FIA and the selected supplier."

Single suppler - My guess is a single fuel as well, only petrol no bio-fuels

There are a few other changes. Some of the requinrments above will make it more difficult for a GT1 teams to compete. Almost making GT1 a spec series.

Only three engines, or engine rebuilds, Penalties if more are used.

Two sets of brake discs per season?? 1000 KM races and only two sets of discs?? Not even carbon rotors / discs can last like that.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 20:45 (Ref:1806548)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if this truly comes to pass, mabybe we will see some of the teams migrate to the LMS and maybe (not holding my breath) ALMS.

In this format GT-1 is pretty well castrated!

L.P.

ps. Don't use them brakes!!!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1806715)   #3
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The FIA is the Tony George of sports car racing.

Their GT series was the better of the two, so, naturally they screw that up.
I think it is iin their genes.
Bob
Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:15 (Ref:1806718)   #4
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Two sets of brake discs per season?? 1000 KM races and only two sets of discs?? Not even carbon rotors / discs can last like that.
Next seasons Race's are only going to be 2 hours long, so I imagine the distance will be about 350km? Even so, on face value the reg's do seem quite tough to comply with.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 00:33 (Ref:1806723)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Next seasons Race's are only going to be 2 hours long, so I imagine the distance will be about 350km? Even so, on face value the reg's do seem quite tough to comply with.
With a shorter time frame I would be going at it harder, constantly. Drive deeper, brake harder and keep the engine on the limiter!
There isn't any time to do otherwise. In other words abuse the ____ out of it!!

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 03:12 (Ref:1806774)   #6
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
With a shorter time frame I would be going at it harder, constantly. Drive deeper, brake harder and keep the engine on the limiter!
There isn't any time to do otherwise. In other words abuse the ____ out of it!!

L.P.
I agree with Horndawg here. run harder, faster, brake latter. Two sets of discs and only 3 motors( new or rebuilt) isn't going to do it.

The transmission will be toast after each race and ready for rebuilds.

So much for GT1 racing.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 03:54 (Ref:1806781)   #7
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new FIA GT rules are really horrible in my opinion. Two hour races are supposed to be endurance racing?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 04:14 (Ref:1806783)   #8
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sjøholm
The new FIA GT rules are really horrible in my opinion. Two hour races are supposed to be endurance racing?
Yes cut to "sprint" time and equipment rules that will cut the speed to nothing in order to have proper parts at the end of the season.
It sounds like somebody has severely dropped the ball here!!!!

L.P.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 05:25 (Ref:1806800)   #9
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think they are digging their own grave even deeper with this. It feels like much of the GT racing world's attention is shifting to LMS/ALMS (and teams are jumping ship) and this will only speed it up. At least (A)LMS still have proper endurance races.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1806856)   #10
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why FIA GT has necessaraly to be endurance?
Is GT3 endurance? No. Isn't sucessful? Of course it is.
Is International GT Open endurance? No. Isn't sucessful? Of course it is.

You got LMS for endurance racing anyway, why should FIA GT be the same? Shouldn't it have an identity of its own? Besides in order to survive it has to do a TV deal and for this you need shorter races.

Regarding the rules changes as far as I understand they have been discussed with and approved by the teams. Isn't that so?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1806861)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weren't teams against the idea last year? It eliminates the possibilities of 3rd drivers, some of whom bring in vital money to the teams. With the idea of more fly-away races, I sure hope SRO has deep pockets and some good excuses.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 09:22 (Ref:1806865)   #12
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No fly away races in 07 except from China ;-)
Old 5 Jan 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1806949)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I stand corrected!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1807345)   #14
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Weren't teams against the idea last year? It eliminates the possibilities of 3rd drivers, some of whom bring in vital money to the teams. With the idea of more fly-away races, I sure hope SRO has deep pockets and some good excuses.
There is a stipulation that you have to do 2 pit stops to allow for the teams wanting three drivers. I have not seen (have not really looked I have to say!) how they are defining pit stops and if they are saying you must have at least two drivers. If they do not stipulate two drivers and do not define "pit stop" it could get very interesting as any good pro will do it by himself.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1807442)   #15
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
There is a stipulation that you have to do 2 pit stops to allow for the teams wanting three drivers. I have not seen (have not really looked I have to say!) how they are defining pit stops and if they are saying you must have at least two drivers. If they do not stipulate two drivers and do not define "pit stop" it could get very interesting as any good pro will do it by himself.
One of the two drivers must drive for 'at least' 35 min.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1807568)   #16
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So now it is a matter of the definition of the mandatory stops, is that not shown?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1807585)   #17
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Why FIA GT has necessaraly to be endurance?
It does not has to. But then I don't necessarily have to be an interested follower of the series.

Quote:
Is GT3 endurance? No. Isn't sucessful? Of course it is.
Is International GT Open endurance? No. Isn't sucessful? Of course it is.
Success is a matter of definition and benchmark. We could be worlds apart on what we consider successful.

Quote:
You got LMS for endurance racing anyway, why should FIA GT be the same? Shouldn't it have an identity of its own? Besides in order to survive it has to do a TV deal and for this you need shorter races.
It's not the same as is. 3 hours, while still endurance, nonetheless provides a bit different racing and I know people that love GT racing while the prototypes do absolutely nothing for them. They find them rather distracting and TV putting emphasis on them annoying.
And I'm still waiting for a proper TV deal for Germany, which as I understood is an issue for some German racing teams looking for options other than FIA GT because of it.

Quote:
Regarding the rules changes as far as I understand they have been discussed with and approved by the teams. Isn't that so?
Is that so?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1807593)   #18
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
So the teams do not approve?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1807615)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
So the teams do not approve?
Teams are not involved in the rule makeing process.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 16:59 (Ref:1807651)   #20
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
When FIA reduced the length of the races, FIA put an emphasis on getting to and staying at the front. By creating a lack of time to make up the difference with the race leader, you will now have to push harder and sooner to not fall behind. Thus using the equipment even harder. The FIA in their wisdom(lack of) have reduced the amount of parts to be used! This is counterintuitive to creating a sprint race environment. So what you end up with is cars going around the circuit at 90kph for 2hrs so that they have enough parts to last the season!!

Now in my opinion that BLOWS, FIA has really dropped the ball!! They are trying to stay as an endurance series in a sprint format which IMO will not work, as it will displease everyone involved!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 5 Jan 2007 at 17:04.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 17:07 (Ref:1807656)   #21
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
DTM also has restrictions like this especially as to engines and the racing doesn't suffer at all.

I am asking for the teams opinion because from what I have been reading a few weeks back in Autosport the teams were in favour of cost cutting changes and also demanded no flyaway races at all. Apparently Zhuhai had to be kept on the schedule due to their firm contract with SRO. Logic suggests that the cost cutting changes would have been decided between Ratel and the teams before being submited to the FIA for approval.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1807667)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sprint format sportscar racing does kind of work. After all Intererie in Germany and Europe was quite popular for a few years in the 70's and 80's wasn't it?

I think it's just that we're used to sportscars as endurance vehicles that we can't imagine them as sprint racers.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 17:52 (Ref:1807671)   #23
old man
Veteran

England
UK
But having to make 2 pit stops in a 2 hour race just adds confusion, three sprint races!
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1807677)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
But having to make 2 pit stops in a 2 hour race just adds confusion, three sprint races!
Yes I tend to agree with that, bit daft really isn't it.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:18 (Ref:1807687)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I am asking for the teams opinion because from what I have been reading a few weeks back in Autosport the teams were in favour of cost cutting changes and also demanded no flyaway races at all. Apparently Zhuhai had to be kept on the schedule due to their firm contract with SRO. Logic suggests that the cost cutting changes would have been decided between Ratel and the teams before being submited to the FIA for approval.
I think you are right. If I remember well there was a meeting between SRO and the GT1 teams at Hockenheim during the last DTM weekend.