Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Jan 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2619289)   #26
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
If you look at even the best "hand made cars" now, you will find that they are no longer hand crafted as they were, the parts bins of many companies are raided for all sorts of bits and many components are know "outsourced". The technology in todays cars means that it is no longer an old guy with an apron making these bits, they are designed in computers, built by robots and then put together on immaculately clean assembly lines. Hand made might just be a longing for times gone past.
These days Ferraris are by no means hand made - they have a very sophisticated production line.

They are also one of the most profitable car companies in the world and the F1 team is more funded by sponsors than any other F1 team - not a bad business plan.

You can also be sure that if Ferrari do enter LMP then there will be sponsorship money behind it as well and this may well be why they couple enter as Ferrari rather than Maserati as the draw for sponsors is much greater.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2619358)   #27
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As only diesels have a realistic chance of winning LMP1, an LMP2 car with the 430V8 sounds like the only viable short term option. However, if the ACO knew that Ferrari were interested in an LMP1 program, I'm sure that a rule change to make petrol competitive would be on the cards ???
Old 25 Jan 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2619369)   #28
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Ferrari moves in mysterious ways...

I too believe we´ll see the time when the prancing horse returns with a toprunner at Le Mans. Dezomello didn´t wave the startingflag of Le Mans for nothing. I too believe that in his heart,he wants Ferrari back in top sportscars.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2619404)   #29
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Ferrari moves in mysterious ways...

I too believe we´ll see the time when the prancing horse returns with a toprunner at Le Mans. Dezomello didn´t wave the startingflag of Le Mans for nothing. I too believe that in his heart,he wants Ferrari back in top sportscars.
I belive its Di Montezemolo

I am more inclined to belive if they go for the LMP2 engine its going to be 4.5l DFI from the 458, the 4l from the 430 would strain at 600+hp,
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2619456)   #30
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
the 4l from the 430 would strain at 600+hp,
Good job P2's are only a hair over 500hp then i guess.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 07:44 (Ref:2619541)   #31
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
A works Ferrari programme with some high profile drivers is one thing that could seriously elevate the profile of our sport which in turn would increase the interest from other manufacturers. If the ACO wants this then it should do all in its power to make it happen.

The best result to me would be a full factory squad in LMIC and locally run efforts in the regional series - much as Audi did with Champion Racing and the R8
Old 26 Jan 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2619751)   #32
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
I belive its Di Montezemolo

I am more inclined to belive if they go for the LMP2 engine its going to be 4.5l DFI from the 458, the 4l from the 430 would strain at 600+hp,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Good job P2's are only a hair over 500hp then i guess.
And 2011 P2s even less.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2619989)   #33
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add a Porsche LMP1 and you'll be back in 917 vs. 512 days again. I really really hope this will happen. Diesels have to be pegged back before this can happen though.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 02:06 (Ref:2620068)   #34
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hell will have to freeze over too...
Old 27 Jan 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2620233)   #35
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The Eagles said that before they would play together again , hell would have to freeze over .

Their next album was Hell Freezes Over ..... pigs can fly too , ive seen'em !!!
Old 27 Jan 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2620365)   #36
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
..... pigs can fly too , ive seen'em !!!
Yes, I know. Here goes one now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaHbK4_tx90

or this much more fun version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fA6LZRcP6g

I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but I just couldn't resist.

DK

Last edited by dxk1; 27 Jan 2010 at 14:46.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2625838)   #37
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Ferrari are due to show a 599 Hybrid concept car at Geneva and have said that their hybrid technology could be applied to both V8 and V12 engines - it is also saying that its staff who were working on last years KERS technology in F1 have been redirected to the Hybrid programme. They do not mention racing but they do say that Hybrid technology is at least 5 years away from being put on their 'production' cars.

Could hybrid technology be the direction they would head in for a LMP project??
Old 3 Feb 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2625856)   #38
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I hope they do a bit of ACO arm bending , and get that stupid suggestion about V8 max rulled out , I want to see a Ferrari V12 again !!!
Old 3 Feb 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2625882)   #39
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
I hope they do a bit of ACO arm bending , and get that stupid suggestion about V8 max rulled out , I want to see a Ferrari V12 again !!!
I second that notion!!
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2625898)   #40
The Badger
Veteran

OMG , we finialy agreed on something ..... break out the champagne
Old 3 Feb 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2625908)   #41
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They seem to make a decent V-8.

L.P.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2625929)   #42
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
It would be nice to have a lmp1 V12 Ferrari, aaaa imagine te sound, but francly I would settle for a V8 DFI 4-5l turbo as well.....*witch will probably in the enzo replacment.

Even though I love the Ferrari V12 I have grown very fonf of the 4.0lV8 powering the f430...
Old 3 Feb 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2625937)   #43
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
it is also saying that its staff who were working on last years KERS technology in F1 have been redirected to the Hybrid programme. They do not mention racing but they do say that Hybrid technology is at least 5 years away from being put on their 'production' cars.

Could hybrid technology be the direction they would head in for a LMP project??
Didn't they work Peugeot to develop their system?
Old 3 Feb 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2626002)   #44
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And so will everybody else ..... Ferrari are famous for the sound generated by their V12 . I want a V12 , not a V8 !!!
Old 3 Feb 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2626004)   #45
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
This is true, but hell, we want to hear that V12.

DK
Old 4 Feb 2010, 00:28 (Ref:2626035)   #46
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
From a FIAT branding perspective, there is nothing to be gained by Ferrari, from building LMP cars. Having said that, I think you could make a story out of an Alfa Romeo LMP car. They are re-entering the North American market, and could use it as leverage marketing to re-establish the brand name.

To boot, Alfa makes Diesels... if they chose to go that way. Just idle speculation.
Old 4 Feb 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2626050)   #47
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And hell wouldn't have to freeze then either...
Old 4 Feb 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2626082)   #48
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I´m not sure if they need to do that, Peugeot said that they will be back to petrol cars in 2013. And the rumours of a LMP ferrari are growing and growing.

We´ll have the 458 GT2 next year and maybe a LMP in 2012 (probably hell will be cold this year )
Old 4 Feb 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2626189)   #49
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
And so will everybody else ..... Ferrari are famous for the sound generated by their V12 . I want a V12 , not a V8 !!!
All Ferraris have the high pitched Scream that is so characteristic - it is due to the short stroke engines which are tuned to rev highly and freely - it is naturally more pronounced in the V12's but it is there in all their cars. I recently sold my V6 Dino and even that was the same it wasnt happy on the road below 4000rpm and absolutely screamed up close to its redline at 7800 rpm - not bad for a 35 year old car.

I have a friend with an aftermarket exhaust on a V8 355 and that sounds just like an F1 car - rather like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtd2yxvVR0
Old 4 Feb 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2626493)   #50
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
And the rumours of a LMP ferrari are growing and growing.

We´ll have the 458 GT2 next year and maybe a LMP in 2012 (probably hell will be cold this year )

But, the only place they are growing, is by being repeated by fans in fantasy land on forums.