Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 May 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3253219)   #1
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ARDC loses $600K on V8 round!!!!!!!!!

Haven't heard this before but apparently the ARDC took a $600,000 bath on last year's V8 round at the re-vamped Eastern Creek.

Sad news given that the Homebush round appears fragile.

Do the V8s have a future in Sydney?

Link
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 26 May 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3253257)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Questions might be asked how an organisation with the ARDC’s experience and supposed expertise absorbed the financial risk of staging a V8 Supercar round rather than lease the venue to the series organiser to run.
Strathmore... where are ye Strathmore...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 May 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3253268)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most tracks loose money on the V8's, there is nothing new in this, I know my local track does and they have been doing it since the start, the outgoings (including sanction fees) are greater than the number of people coming in through the gates.

If it wasn't for other events held over the year to off-set the loss then my local track would have given them away years ago.
Old 26 May 2013, 10:31 (Ref:3253335)   #4
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The long standing problem is that the V8's want to run a 7 star show--with someone else paying for it.!!
It is impossible to have any sympathy for them-- they set out to screw every other category in the country-- and when Bernie put them in their place-- you can still here the screaming, Funny thing is--they then treated everyone else how they got treated.
If they put something back into the sport in general-- my views would be different.
Old 26 May 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3253369)   #5
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm trying to figure out why a track would let them use it with that kind of a loss. What benefit would they get?
Old 26 May 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3253373)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
I'm trying to figure out why a track would let them use it with that kind of a loss. What benefit would they get?
sounds like mismanagment to me.

Seriously, they can make money out of a track day, but not out of a race weekend.
Old 26 May 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3253376)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Seriously, they can make money out of a track day, but not out of a race weekend.
Track days don't need things like;
  • Generators,
  • Light towers,
  • Security,
  • Massive clean up costs

to name just a few of the hundreds of things, not to mention the list of things VE$A wants changed each year.
Old 26 May 2013, 12:34 (Ref:3253377)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
  • Generators,
  • Light towers,
  • Security,
  • Massive clean up costs

to name just a few of the hundreds of things, not to mention the list of things VE$A wants changed each year.
track days also dont have people paying money to attend.

Now what was the list that V8S wanted from SMP?
Old 26 May 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3253383)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I wonder if the issue here was crowd size. from memory it was quite small. (was it 30k for the weekend?) did SMP scale up expecting a bigger crowd than arrived?

or was there no chance based on crowd size

$600k is 10000 people at $60
Old 26 May 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3253412)   #10
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SMP have shot themselves in the foot last 2 times v8s have been there. Not allowing cars to enter into the track at turn 12 turns away a lot of people.
Agree with silver 3, v8s want a 7 star show with someone else paying for it.
Old 26 May 2013, 18:59 (Ref:3253585)   #11
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
  • Generators,
  • Light towers,
  • Security,
  • Massive clean up costs

Don't worry about trying to point out accurate detail Paul, there are people who post here who are on the outside who think they know better then people on the inside.
Old 27 May 2013, 00:42 (Ref:3253751)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The question has to be asked surely as to why someone would knowingly take on the commercial risk of an event, knowing that if they were to cost it properly before agreeing, that it would actually cost more money than it made

Isnt that usual business practice?
Old 27 May 2013, 01:59 (Ref:3253758)   #13
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The question has to be asked surely as to why someone would knowingly take on the commercial risk of an event, knowing that if they were to cost it properly before agreeing, that it would actually cost more money than it made

Didn't stop the Light Car Club from doing it twice!
Old 27 May 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3253775)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The club lost a total of over $600000 on the 2007 and 2008 V8 meetings.The management said at the time for a V8 round to be viable they would pay no more than a $250000 sanctioning fee which is less than half the going rate.
New management thought they knew better and paid the full rate even though they were handed a poor support program.Even more important the date was the weekend before the Muscle Car Masters and the V8 meeting signifigantly diluted the crowd for this event costing the club more money.
Combine this with a totally inept "traffic management plan" that left many vowing to never return to any event where it is in place and it may be time for some of the new blood to consider their futures.
While on the topic of parking at the circuit last year at the V8's and Muscle Car Masters it cost $15 to park inside the track.This year at the Muscle Car Masters it is going to cost $20+$5 booking fee=$25 which is verging on extortion.
Old 27 May 2013, 03:04 (Ref:3253789)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
But the 1984 event showed the FIA that Australia could easily run an FIA Sanctioned International event making the path to F1 at Adelaide a little easier.
Old 27 May 2013, 03:54 (Ref:3253797)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
While on the topic of parking at the circuit last year at the V8's and Muscle Car Masters it cost $15 to park inside the track.This year at the Muscle Car Masters it is going to cost $20+$5 booking fee=$25 which is verging on extortion.
Do you get valet service & a carwash with that???
Old 27 May 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3253798)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Did they lose less in the 2nd year?
Old 27 May 2013, 04:55 (Ref:3253812)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:

I know for a fact that the certain track I am talking about keeps it on their calendar for 2 very important reasons and if you know and understand how this tracks management works then it makes sense

The first and main reason - FOR THE FANS, this track has a huge following, yes the numbers are dropping, but so is everyone's, it has a fantastic feel about it, it has been referred to, due to its atmosphere as the mini-Bathurst

Secondly - and this is purely financial, if they were to drop the round then the track loses it 'attractiveness' to the average punter/club who hires it on every other weekend of the year. While it is in people faces it doesn't get forgotten like a certain western suburbs (of Melbourne) track
Old 27 May 2013, 06:20 (Ref:3253823)   #19
mha
Rookie

mha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did they lose less in the 2nd year?
They had a sponsor for the second time
Old 27 May 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3253838)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Secondly - and this is purely financial, if they were to drop the round then the track loses it 'attractiveness' to the average punter/club who hires it on every other weekend of the year. While it is in people faces it doesn't get forgotten like a certain western suburbs (of Melbourne) track
It's also not so much the "average punter", it's also the companies that do corporate events, car launches, press days, etc. If you can do your invite only "come and try a Holden" day at a track that they are seen racing on or a track that has the perception of being "just a tarmac ribbon in a field" then which one will you host at?

The economics of circuits is that pretty much any event that THEY have to pay to host will be one they lose money on but use as publicity to offset.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3253919)   #21
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The signwriter in me was astounded by the amount of mesh banner along the perimeter fencing, this runs out at about $50/m and it went the most of the way around the circuit. There was also a massive amount of directional signage inside the circuit that wasnt needed. If they got away with a bill for less than $120K for the signage that was around that weekend they did very well.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 27 May 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3253928)   #22
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
It's also not so much the "average punter", it's also the companies that do corporate events, car launches, press days, etc. If you can do your invite only "come and try a Holden" day at a track that they are seen racing on or a track that has the perception of being "just a tarmac ribbon in a field" then which one will you host at?

The economics of circuits is that pretty much any event that THEY have to pay to host will be one they lose money on but use as publicity to offset.
Spot on, thank you for understanding my point
Old 27 May 2013, 10:19 (Ref:3253932)   #23
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Do the V8s have a future in Sydney?

Link
Doesn't sound good.... If the race is back at SMP then V8SC will need to promote it and take the risk. No more juicy sanction fee for Archer and the teams.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3253933)   #24
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Doesn't sound good.... If the race is back at SMP then V8SC will need to promote it and take the risk. No more juicy sanction fee for Archer and the teams.
The Club I have been referring to was the only event on the calendar that wasn't 'promoted' by V8SCA.

V8SCA have been doing their balls on Tassie since they started racing there.
Old 27 May 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3253937)   #25
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The Club I have been referring to was the only event on the calendar that wasn't 'promoted' by V8SCA.
Would they continue to run it at a loss if all the test days disappeared?